AKG K240 Studio - how to disassemble right side?
May 30, 2011 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

universe777

New Head-Fier
Not even a year old and a plastic part broken on them. The plastic cover on the right side has a crack through it.
It's part no.16 in this link - http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/36/K240_m_stu4055d215ac91a.pdf
I can unfasten the plastic part using my fingernail but no way of replacing it without unsoldering the 2 wires?

Anyone know of an easier way to take it apart? from the ear pad side? If I can separate the ear piece at part 15b, the gold metal ring it'd be easier...

May 30, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 14
Ouch.  Sorry to read about your K240's cracking issue.  Hmm, could you take a picture of the cracked part itself?

May 31, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Ouch.  Sorry to read about your K240's cracking issue.  Hmm, could you take a picture of the cracked part itself?

It had almost cracked right through when I noticed it. I glued it, it looks like crap. I have a replacement part coming in 4 weeks. I need to know how to disassemble it to replace the part without unsoldering anything as I don't have a soldering iron. Basically the easiest way to disassemble it?

May 31, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 14
If you take off the pad/cushion are there any screws visible?
if so you could try unscrewing them, see where that gets you.
I have dismantled my superlux hd 681 which has an almost identical housing design, apart from the driverboard since it has a different driver.
But in that one it was only by unsoldering the wires that I could get to the ring.
Sadly I don't have a 240 lying around at the moment to check for alternative routes.

May 31, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 14
You have to take off the gold circular AKG badge, there will be a screw and you disassemble them from there.  AFAIK that's the only way.  I didn't have the guts to do it because it involves a lot of plastic pieces that snap into place and mine are quite old. 

You can get the badge off by prying starting with a small screw driver, there is a point of entry you can see in the first picture that lets you get something under it.  Go slowly so you don't bend the badge.  Then re-attach it with a bit of hot glue, or some takk if you want to be able to open them again easily. 

May 31, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
You have to take off the gold circular AKG badge, there will be a screw and you disassemble them from there.  AFAIK that's the only way.  I didn't have the guts to do it because it involves a lot of plastic pieces that snap into place and mine are quite old. 

You can get the badge off by prying starting with a small screw driver, there is a point of entry you can see in the first picture that lets you get something under it.  Go slowly so you don't bend the badge.  Then re-attach it with a bit of hot glue, or some takk if you want to be able to open them again easily. 

Yeah, I got the badge off alright and unscrewed one screw and a small plastic thing but then I was confronted by 2 wires soldered to points and another screw. Not sure if the wires have any length to them or if I have to unsolder them..

May 31, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 14
if you go to akgs site there is a service manual for all akg 240 line up and break-up diagram of the headphones with part listens. the newer akg 240 studios is easier since they don't use a hard badge anymore. it's a sticker so you can easily just stick it back on after you put the headphone back together. i only took my akg's apart to remove that felt behind the cups vents and to me i thought it helped with soundstage a bit but made outside noise far more noticeable. i have my sextetts LP as well but never gonna take these apart ever and little afraid to mess them up due to their age(even tho they still are in new like condition) and don't want to ruin the badges on them.

anyways here's where you can download the service manual

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,252,pid,252,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

May 31, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
if you go to akgs site there is a service manual for all akg 240 line up and break-up diagram of the headphones with part listens. the newer akg 240 studios is easier since they don't use a hard badge anymore. it's a sticker so you can easily just stick it back on after you put the headphone back together. i only took my akg's apart to remove that felt behind the cups vents and to me i thought it helped with soundstage a bit but made outside noise far more noticeable. i have my sextetts LP as well but never gonna take these apart ever and little afraid to mess them up due to their age(even tho they still are in new like condition) and don't want to ruin the badges on them.

anyways here's where you can download the service manual

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,252,pid,252,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

I got that Service document pdf alright, I ordered the new part by part number from that document.
I can get the sticker etc off, just haven't undone the 2nd screw under it. Have you taken apart a K240? Do I have to unsolder the wires on the right hand side? or Can I just undo the 2nd screw and fire away? I found photos of some guy disassembling a Sextet model, but he only shows the left side, where the cable goes in..

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 14
Hello.

No need to unsolder nothing! Undo the 2nd screw and all will come off alone, the K240 is a pretty easy to disamble model :)

Tip: use a plastic pick (the ones for bass/guitar best one I've tried is Turtle brand, yellow color hard&flexible) to peel of the badges, then there's no problem of scratching them, once the badge is off taking this headphones appart is super easy :wink:

wish it helps

Albert

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Any updated disassemble instructions around?

Edit, Never mind, figured out opening the cups on my K240M just gives the disintegrating foam ring a chance to fall out.

Nov 1, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 14
In case someone comes back to this thread and needs an exploded view on the K240 I've attached one that I got a good while ago.
It also shows a parts list. The AKG Harmon - parts dept. - phone number is: 844-776-4899

Attachments

• K240.pdf
    363.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back