AKG K240 MKII vs K271 MKII
Oct 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kirr45

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've narrowed my choices to one of these two. Which one do you guys think is best? My music is a wide range. Ranging from bass heavy and detail oriented such as jazz. I keep hearing people also mentioning the DT770 from Beyerdynamic. Whiat do you say? I guess this needs two answers. One comparing the 240 and 271 and the second comparing the AKG's to Beyerdynamic. THanks.

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't know anything about Beyerdynamic's DT770, but I have the K240 MKII, and a close friend of mine has the K271 MKII.

The big difference between the two is that the K240 is semi-open, and the K271 is closed-back.

As far as I know, the semi-open K240 is going to be more suited towards your detail-oriented music. Mids, highs, and the soundstage really shine through on the K240 to me.

The K271 being closed is going to give you better isolation, and probably mildly better bass impact and presence. I did notice that the cups on my friend's K271 are pretty shallow, which I didn't like.

I haven't really spent much time with the K271, but listen with the K240 daily. Like yourself, I enjoy a wide variety of music. The K240 does have a decent bass presence, but it's not going to be big and booming. That said, I'm pretty sure the K271 wouldn't be like that either.

The K240 is a bit cheaper, and I think a little more versatile, which is good for those who listen to all kinds of tunes.

I'm trying not to be biased since I own the K240, but that's the one I have to recommend.

Hope this helps!

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 8
From what i briefly heard at a store the K271mkII are a step above the K240mkII in terms of detail retrieval and spatial sounstage, The also have more 'colder' analytical sound. I've owned the DT770/250 consumer, I'd prefer both AKG to the Beyers. More balanced and even sounding to my ears, espcially the K240.

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 8
I am trying to narrow down between these two exact headphones and I cannot find an answer as to which is better, they are similarly priced. So before making a mistake which one is better?

There is next to nothing on comparisons between these two.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I am trying to narrow down between these two exact headphones and I cannot find an answer as to which is better, they are similarly priced. So before making a mistake which one is better?

There is next to nothing on comparisons between these two.

confused.gif
 i gave a somewhat detailed comparison and recommendation just two posts up.

there's no right or wrong answer. these two are going to sound very similar, but are suited to different applications (semi-open vs closed back). 

if you don't care about sound leakage, get the K240 since the semi-open back will give them a better soundstage and they are often priced a bit cheaper. if you've gotta have closed headphones then go with the K271.

if i had to say which one was better, i'd say K240. but that's down to my personal preference.

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Hey guys. I've narrowed my choices to one of these two. Which one do you guys think is best? My music is a wide range. Ranging from bass heavy and detail oriented such as jazz. I keep hearing people also mentioning the DT770 from Beyerdynamic. Whiat do you say? I guess this needs two answers. One comparing the 240 and 271 and the second comparing the AKG's to Beyerdynamic. THanks.

Beyer DT880 PRO?
Fischer Audio FA-003?
Fischer Audio FA-011?
AudioTechnica AD900?
Shure SRH840?

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back