AKG K182, Budget Contender?
Jan 2, 2016 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Ishcabible

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k182

Seems like AKG has created a successor to the K181DJ. Really interested to see if anyone's tried it because I think the K181DJ is the among best values under $100.

Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1201288-REG/akg_k182_professional_closed_back_monitor.html

The only review is from here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70912-akg-k182-studio-headphones-review.html

Pictures stolen from hardwarecanucks.com for the lazy:

DesignClosed-back
Driver50 mm
Frequency Range10 Hz to 28 kHz
Sensitivity112 dB spl/V
Maximum Input Power500 mW
Input Impedance32 ohms
Cable9.8' / 3.0 m - 99.99% oxygen-free cable
Connectors1/8" / 3.5 mm gold plated jack plug
1/4" / 6.35 mm screw-on adapter
DimensionNot specified by manufacturer
Weight9.0 oz / 255.0 g

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 22
  I saw that on B&H and it looked very promising. 

Yeah, the K181 is bassy but doesn't sacrifice its midrange. If AKG improved on the original formula I could see this being a huge hit. Portable foldable design, sturdy detachable cable, and the pads look significantly comfier than the pleather disks the K181 had.

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 22
So $99, detachable cable, 50mm driver, likely sounds like the K181DJ, and looks pretty good. We might have a budget winner.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 22
So $99, detachable cable, 50mm driver, likely sounds like the K181DJ, and looks pretty good. We might have a budget winner.

Yeah, I had a few problems with the K181 like some treble grittiness possibly caused by pad reflections or something but with the new pads, they may sound even better.

If I didn't blow so much money today on other stuff I'd have bought these to try

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Got them today. Nice looking, but they show a gap between parts of the headband when stretching it out, just like the Focal Spirit Professional. Overall they feel a bit plasticky, but that may be expected in their price range. Cups could be a bit thicker material, the back feels rather thin. Quite comfortable, pads are not as big as with the K7xx series, but are over-ear for me, deep enough and not too soft. Mini-XLR is solid, the straight cable may be too long for mobile use but OK otherwise. Folding flat, very welcome. Large L/R markers within the cups, just like the K550 series has.

Sound is nice, bass is a bit much, not bad for electronic but too much for me anyway. I miss treble extension with them and hear a bit too much upper midrange/lower treble, which makes them a bit shouty. Not too detailed and a bit closed in. Overall a fun sound signature with clear emphasis on bass without sounding dull or dark. Works fine with an iPhone, pumping out much more volume than I'd ever use. Isolation seems quite good, so mobile use should be no problem.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 22
  Got them today. Nice looking, but they show a gap between parts of the headband when stretching it out, just like the Focal Spirit Professional. Overall they feel a bit plasticky, but that may be expected in their price range. Cups could be a bit thicker material, the back feels rather thin. Quite comfortable, pads are not as big as with the K7xx series, but are over-ear for me, deep enough and not too soft. Mini-XLR is solid, the straight cable may be too long for mobile use but OK otherwise. Folding flat, very welcome. Large L/R markers within the cups, just like the K550 series has.

Sound is nice, bass is a bit much, not bad for electronic but too much for me anyway. I miss treble extension with them and hear a bit too much upper midrange/lower treble, which makes them a bit shouty. Not too detailed and a bit closed in. Overall a fun sound signature with clear emphasis on bass without sounding dull or dark. Works fine with an iPhone, pumping out much more volume than I'd ever use. Isolation seems quite good, so mobile use should be no problem.

Thanks! How are they compared to the K181?

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 22
Thanks! How are they compared to the K181?

Regarding comfort the K182 is far ahead due to the wider pad openings. Unfortunately it lost almost all of the rubber parts which felt better than the plastic exposed on the K182.

Regarding sound I'm sorry, the K181 is long gone from my collection and I can't say anything specific.

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 22
mine just arrived. lots of plastic :).

i am a bit disappointed that the mini xlr and jack are also plastic. just need to be careful with them i guess.

clamping force is a little too much for me, they'll need some stretching out. ear pads are nice and soft. just big enough to be a over ear for me. they don't leak much, isolation is pretty good and the'll do the trick when travelling or noisier environments.

i don't find the bass to be too much. maybe a little elevated with a fun rumble but I've heard bassier headphones. i find the Fidelio X1 has more bass and less mids than the k182. treble is not harsh and these are just very early impressions direct from an ipod G6.

also they don't have a very closed sound with weird artifacts that i hear in other budget cans.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 22
a couple of hours listening.  The cable is too long for a portable headphone.  The headband is not the most comfortable, a little hard and made the top of my head a bit sore, (note: i am bald, someone with a thick head of hair may not notice this).

The more music I listen to the more I am noticing recessed mid-range.  guitars and vocals sound a bit distant and thin.  The bass is still not over powering, it goes nice and deep.  some songs will rumble when called for, a fun headphone for sure.

Hoping the midrange comes out a bit more over time.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 22
Aw man, that's really disappointing. The mids on the K181 were what impressed me the most. They weren't especially good but it was one of the few bassy headphones in its price range that wasn't a deep V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back