AKG K167 TIËSTO - Discussion, Impression, Review & Appreciation Thread
Dec 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #691 of 1,489
Is the K67 a good budget allrounder? How does it compare to the M50/CAL? Someone said the comfort was subpar, is that only for big heads/ears or is it an universal issue?

Comfort will vary, they sit on the ear so it has great isolation and more padding but it will begin to fatigue your ears pretty fast, even within an hour if its not positioned right.... Alas that is the fatal flaw of on ears. They also dont need amping, though it doesn't hurt

Sent From My Thunderbolt with Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #692 of 1,489
Huh... the website says over ear - but you're saying on ear?  This thread has me interested...

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #693 of 1,489
Quote:
Would you describe the mids and highs of the K167 as more analytical or colored?  I ask because I will definitely wait for the K267 since I want the option of as much bass as possible, but I would also imagine the Tiesto line would share a similar sonic signature throughout.  I have not been a fan of AKG's sound and am wondering if they have gone in a different direction with the Tiesto line, or if they share the AKG signature which, to my ears, is too cold and analytical.  The variable bass feature is primarily what interests me about the K267, but only if the overall signature is enjoyable like I have found with the M-100.  I also just ordered the Velodyne V-True and if that doesn't work for me as a quality basshead can, I am considering the Ultrasone Signature DJ.

Analytical, but in a good way. Very musical.

Glad you ordered the vTrues, I will be getting one depending of your impressions.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #695 of 1,489
Quote:
They were answering a question about the M67, not the K167.

What's a M67?...you probably meant K67? 
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #697 of 1,489
its getting close!
the ebay shipping update shows a delivery date of this Wed, but when i track them, they are already in Nashville (where i live).  surely they wont get held until then?  hope not anyway.  oh well.

my e11 and l9 should be here today.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #698 of 1,489
Quote:
Also, can anyone comment on the K167 level of bass relative to the V-Moda M80s?  I'm not a basshead and I like the sound of the M80s, so I was wondering how these compare.

Initially I bought the M-80 because I'm also a "moderate" basshead but I don't want to miss the middle to high frequencies in a headphone, too. The other reason was portability. In the end I enjoyed the M-80 very much even though the supra aural design was a bit uncomfy after extended listening sessions. Due to the completely different design of the cups, the two are not easy to compare side by side.

> The M-80 does definitely not isolate as good as the K167. Also the M-80 leaks a bit more sound to the outside world (but that's not much)
> The comfort of the K167 is way better than the M-80 (circum aural phones are generally more comfortable IMHO)
> Soundstage is quite a bit wider with the K167...
> ...and the bass is more precise. Especially the much better representation of a crisp sub bass is what makes me smile.
> With the M-80 I hear more overall bass content whereas the mids are not so well presented (which might contribute to the tighter soundstage). Sub bass is much less with the M-80.
> To summarize, It's much more fun to listen to the K167.

In my opinion, It's the sub bass and the well represented mids to highs what makes the K167 outstanding in it's class....for bass lovers which demand also an analytical performance from their headphones, the K167 is perfect in that price range.

Edit: had a chance to listen shortly to the Sony MDR-1R today. I was really impressed by the sound. I even liked the bass a bit more on the 1R compared to the K167 when I listened to bass-heavy music (be aware, that the Sony's are 8 Ohm headphones...so they play louder on the same volume settings on your mobile music player). Soundstage is on par with my M-80 I would say. The K167 has the better isolation. The Sony's sounded not as "analytical" as the K167. (Just some first impressions)

Edit2: Another thing I just remembered: The "touch and feel" of the Sony's was really good.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #701 of 1,489
Quote:
its getting close!
the ebay shipping update shows a delivery date of this Wed, but when i track them, they are already in Nashville (where i live).  surely they wont get held until then?  hope not anyway.  oh well.

my e11 and l9 should be here today.

Ebay estimation is way off usually for me, if they are at your distro before 7AM that day it'll usually deliver that day.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #702 of 1,489
How is the treble extension of the K167 vs that of the M-80?

Also has anyone heard the Pioneer HDJ2000 to compare? I wonder if they have a slightly similar sound sig although I'd imagine the Pioneers have much more bass impact (I used to have them and they had pretty powerful bass response especially when the track called for it).

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #703 of 1,489
And btw, fibre glass reinforced plastic - ain't that the same kind of plastic the Momentums use for their ear cups? I love how moderately priced these are. I feel that there's been a bit of price inflation in the market and I appreciate the fact that AKG appears to have put out a great product for a reasonable price. Gotta love AKG. I was a big fan of their K181 when I had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back