AKG K1000's just arrived!
Jan 16, 2004 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Swampwalker

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my k1000s delivered with the mail at noon. Hooked them up to the silver DIY cable I bought from another head-fier and they sound awesome. 2 questions-
1. Anyone know a way to adjust the width? I've got a big head, and I'm know i don't want to bend the metal bands (these were bought used but are MINT!)
2. Despite all of the discussions of the need for a big amp to drive them, I am running them off of the speaker outs of my microzotl (1-2 tube watts) and they sound terrific. Volume pot is at about 11, but can't imagine I'd ever go much higher. I have ordered an ASL Reference tools impedence matching device w/volume pot that should enable these to be driven from my high gain pre-amp, but I'm curious about other's experiences.

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 6
If you don't know already, pull on the side pad (there is a plastic part protruding down) and it will "ratchet" out. Spreading the side pads apart will help alot.

Not to mention it will allow you to sit the K1000's further foward and allow you to angle the ear speakers out farther.

-Ed

Jan 16, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Swampwalker, congrats on your new K-1000's.

Here's a little tip:

Make sure the drivers are at the exact same angle by measuring the distance between the earpiece and the headband at the side where it swings out.

If the drivers are not at the same angle the soundstage can sound unfocused.

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, as long as your ears are pretty close to being symmetrical.
biggrin.gif

Also, there are levers on the front that can lock the ear speakers into place. So if it is really difficult to swivel, push those levers, as they are in the "locked" position.

-Ed

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 6
I recontoured my headbands, but it was not easy. Don't be fooled by the fake screws that appear to hold the bands to the frame. They are plastic, and just disappear if you try to unscrew them. I still don't know how to get the red bands out. Anybody else have a guess? It would be nice to remove them for recontouring, or replacement with a different size or color (say, bright blue).

gerG

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 6
gerG and I a seem to be on the same wavelength ;~). For my head, the overall width needs to be .....wider.... Re-bending the metal bands so that the "horizontal" is longer/wider would do the trick. However, I have just tried moving them more forward on my head and that is a bit better. The foam pieces are now more toward my temples, and the trailing edge of the driver units is just forward of the trailing edge of my ears, with the drivers angled about 15 degrees "open".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back