AKG K1000’s on the Way!
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought I was done then I saw a respected member of Head-Fi selling one of their AKG K1000’s and my wallet yelled “Do Me!”. I’m weak so who am I to argue. I’ve been avoiding them but also following the discussion.

I didn’t even have time to think about whether my home amp could drive them with only 2-watts but Monday I’ll know. It’s a Yamamoto A-08S 45 based Single Ended Triode. The red cherry base is going to go nicely with the red headbands.

A-08S-syoumenn-web.jpg

This is gonna be fun, I’ve been settling in with the HE90’s and I’m looking forward to something different since the K1000’s seem to be up there in the top 5 or 10 headphones depending on your tastes. The only other headphone I’d really like to spend time with is the MDR10 but they are quickly moving out of my reach.

Pictures and incoherent rambling to follow soon.

Mitch

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 37
Congratulations with scoring a pair of K1000!
biggrin.gif

Beautiful amplifier as well.

Keep us posted when it arrives...

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 37
Wow! great score! I'm envious!

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 37
Mitch, I think you're in for a real treat. You've gone through quite a few fine headphones and the K 1000 rightfully deserves its place among the cream of the crop. In many ways the K 1000 is the most scalable headphone I've experienced, as with the right associated gear it truly is among the best audio experiences to be had with headphones.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 37
Yeah I totally agree. Most scaleable headphone though closely followed by hd6X0s. Definitely in the top 5 headphones depending on tastes and set up.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah the amp is beautiful but sadly my living room looks something like this.

DSCN5995.JPG

I did upgrade my stereo rack from the card board box to a blue Coleman cooler.

Mitch

Ooooh! Good choice!

I especially like the outboard motor... you know, for ambiance!

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 37
Congratulations!!! When I first got my K1000s (new), I didn't even have an amp to drive them. They sat in the box unopened for months. Building a system around them has been one of the more enjoyable head-fi journeys I've had, and I'm not done. They keep getting better with each upgrade. Next, it's time to hardwire, and then...
k1000smile.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

What outboard motor? That's an end table man.

Ok so in the back of my mind a balanced HD650 could be up there. But I'm looking forward to the K1000's.

Mitch

I thought it was the fan to keep the tubes cool.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 37
You're in for a treat but that amp will not do them justice and it will not be a fair comparison to the HE90. Look into the F1 or other nice Class A speaker amps
smily_headphones1.gif
There are many threads here and in the amps forum about the K1000 and what amps are the best. I would talk with foo_me for some really great advice. Enjoy them
k1000smile.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're in for a treat but that amp will not do them justice and it will not be a fair comparison to the HE90.

Yammy 45SET *might* work OK IF one doesn't listen very loud to very dynamic music and IF one's source/preamp has tons of gain and drive. At low to moderate levels, 45SET/K1000 combo can be a scary real experience BTW.

When I was driving K1000 with 45SET, however, my listening habits and passive preamp didn't quite do it...

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 37
Mitch,

Quote:

Yeah the amp is beautiful but sadly my living room looks something like this.

DSCN5995.JPG

I did upgrade my stereo rack from the card board box to a blue Coleman cooler.

Mitch

Wow the Yammy-08 is a real beeeeauty !

Let me guess . . . the Coleman's for cryo-ing your cables, nes pas ??

BTW - what make is that speaker near your outboard mot . . . er, uhm, end table - it looks vintage? Might you be able to use it with your Yammy?

Cheers,
Garry

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #14 of 37
nice! i'm envious as well...i'm now in the process of moving towards a k1000 setup as well. first, obtain k1000...then i'll worry about the amp. looking forward to your impressions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back