AKG+Electronica=Bliss
Aug 6, 2009 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Germancub

500+ Head-Fier
I listen to a lot of electronica (I'm German... lol) and I have read countless times that the K601 and K701 are useless for this kind of music. After comparing my K601's to many different beyers, ultrasones and grados, I have actually found the AKG's the most enjoyable with an electronic beat. Reason being, in my opinion, the bass is really heavy on some headphones, in regards to amount not quality compared to AKG's and tends to make the beat sound like one continuous boom from what I've heard. Even perfectly amped, my ears can't recover from the past loud beat to have enough black area until the next one comes. On AKG's, though, it's really light quick and airy... even too light at first, but after a few songs you realise it lets you enjoy this type of music more than anything else. Lyrics are much more pronounced, the beat is how it belongs and everything is great. Am I crazy or does anybody else like electro/trance/techno on their AKG's??? If yes, why and if not, why? This should be interesting!

P.S. These are my opinions, sorry if I've offended your master trance phones, I'm just curious if I'm the only one who holds this belief.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 40
It's good to hear that you are enjoying your gear

Personally, I look for visceral impact when I listen to those genres, not necessarily high detail/transparency/etc. Especially with trance, I feel like the whole point of the music is to simulate physical sensations. To that end, I dislike AKGs for those genres because they tend to be more analytical in nature, rather than engaging and impactful.

To be completely honest, I think electronic music sounds best at dance clubs, coming out of crappy speakers with huge subwoofers that shake the floor if you stand too close to them. Or maybe its just the drugs and alcohol? I dunno.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, I look for visceral impact when I listen to those genres, not necessarily high detail/transparency/etc. Especially with trance, I feel like the whole point of the music is to simulate physical sensations. To that end, I dislike AKGs for those genres because they tend to be more analytical in nature, rather than engaging and impactful.

To be completely honest, I think electronic music sounds best at dance clubs, coming out of crappy speakers with huge subwoofers that shake the floor if you stand too close to them. Or maybe its just the drugs and alcohol? I dunno.

LOL!!!

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Wow, I completely disagree. I think electronic music really need lots of detail and speed. I would rather listen to bass-light headphone with detail/speed than bass bloated headphone which cannot clearly produce fast bass lines.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 40
You are not alone, I enjoy electronica through my 701s and dt48s more than my other phones, especially the Ultrasones. Strong bass response in headphones doesn't seem to work for me vs. strong bass in speakers, it too easily takes over the sound.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 40
Wow I'm surprised at the polarity of the answers... Thank you guys, keep them coming.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I completely disagree. I think electronic music really need lots of detail and speed. I would rather listen to bass-light headphone with detail/speed than bass bloated headphone which cannot clearly produce fast bass lines.

I guess we have different opinions then. Trance coming out of bass-light speakers/headphones just isn't worth listening to (in my opinion). It just doesn't sound like proper trance to me.

If you meant pure electro (boards of canada, squarepusher, etc.) then I do agree with you.

However, I was talking about trance, not electro (since the OP specifically mentioned trance)

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

I guess we have different opinions then. Trance coming out of bass-light speakers/headphones just isn't worth listening to (in my opinion). It just doesn't sound like proper trance to me.

If you meant pure electro (boards of canada, squarepusher, etc.) then I do agree with you.

However, I was talking about trance, not electro (since the OP specifically mentioned trance)

Yes, we clearly do have different opinion/taste. I was talking about any kind of electronic music actually. Trance, house, breakbeat, lounge and etc. I agree that headphones such as K701 isn't so much fun with this genre but I much prefer K601 over D2000/DT770 when I listen to this genre.

But on the other hand, my fitz modded W5000 has much more bass quantity than K601 (or K701/DT880/HD600) and have very well controlled and tight bass, and I prefer W5000 when I listen to electronic music.

So my point was that I also prefer the headphone with prominent bass when listening to electronic music but I still don't like bloated, not-well defined bass.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebottleRon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you like them thats all that counts.

Yes, of course!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

From wikipedia

"Trance is a style of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s. Trance music is generally characterized by a tempo of between 130 and 155 BPM, short melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and down throughout a track. Trance can be understood as a combination of many forms of electronic music such as industrial, techno, and house. The origin of the term is ambiguous, with some suggesting that the term is derived from the Klaus Schulze album Trancefer (1981) or the early trance act Dance 2 Trance. In any case, the name is undoubtedly linked to the perceived ability of a drum beat to induce altered states of consciousness known as trance. The effect of some trance music has been likened to the trance-inducing music created by ancient shamanists during long periods of drumming. As this music is frequently played in nightclubs, vacation spots and inner cities, trance can be understood as a type of club music."

The part in bold is the reason why I would personally prefer heavy "bloated" bass over light-bass that is more defined.

Obviously, you'd want both heavy and well-defined bass, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather suffer the bloated bass, because at least it tends to be engaging, and thus better suited for what trance music tries to accomplish (again, this is my opinion, I'm just explaining my point of view)

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

From wikipedia

"Trance is a style of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s. Trance music is generally characterized by a tempo of between 130 and 155 BPM, short melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and down throughout a track. Trance can be understood as a combination of many forms of electronic music such as industrial, techno, and house. The origin of the term is ambiguous, with some suggesting that the term is derived from the Klaus Schulze album Trancefer (1981) or the early trance act Dance 2 Trance. In any case, the name is undoubtedly linked to the perceived ability of a drum beat to induce altered states of consciousness known as trance. The effect of some trance music has been likened to the trance-inducing music created by ancient shamanists during long periods of drumming. As this music is frequently played in nightclubs, vacation spots and inner cities, trance can be understood as a type of club music."

The part in bold is the reason why I would personally prefer heavy "bloated" bass over light-bass that is more defined.

Obviously, you'd want both heavy and well-defined bass, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd rather suffer the bloated bass, because at least it tends to be engaging, and thus better suited for what trance music tries to accomplish (again, this is my opinion, I'm just explaining my point of view)

Tell me more about your trance experience
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 40
I prefer my EDM to have very detailed and quick bass, but still with texture and visceral impact. It is very hard to balance those. Sometimes if it is too quick and detailed, it sounds "tight" and doesn't really bloom like a real speaker. I think the texture is part of that bloom.

I have become a Sennheiser fan HD6X0 and HD800 for electronica specifically. All-around - they just "work"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back