AKG 702 vs AT AD700X for fps gaming?
Apr 29, 2014 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

XenatR

Head-Fier
hi all,

i currently own the Sony MDR-SA3000 headphones, which give nice spatial sound, but wanted to upgrade to something better

ive narrowed down my choices to the AKG 702 and Audio Technica AD700X

i understand these are probably the best for fps gaming give their wide sound stage

the akg is likely the far more expensive route, as i will probably need an extra amp to drive them, whereas the AT's would be easier and could work off my motherboard

i would always compromise music quality for positional sound/sound stage as i am a hardcore first person shooter gamer

bass response does not interest me and probably actually hinders good sound stage (although probably increases 'immersion')

thank you for any help

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 3
Sennheiser PC360 for me so I would suggest you at least take a look at them before you make your mind up.  SQ is excellent and you get a mic to talk to buddies on Teamspeak. 

Never had either of two models you mentioned but if you are dead set on one of the ones you mentioned, here is a video that LevelCap did on the Audio Technicas:

He seems to like them.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 3
I currently own the Sony MDR-SA3000 headphones, which give nice spatial sound, but wanted to upgrade to something better ive narrowed down my choices to the AKG 702 and Audio Technica AD700X
I understand these are probably the best for fps gaming give their wide sound stage
the AKG is likely the far more expensive route, as i will probably need an extra amp to drive them, whereas the AT's would be easier and could work off my motherboard
I would always compromise music quality for positional sound/sound stage as I am a hardcore first person shooter gamer
bass response does not interest me and probably actually hinders good sound stage (although probably increases 'immersion')

You do not seem to have any compelling reason for spending the extra cash for the K702 and a head amp.
So it seems like the ATH-AD700X is the better choice.
A low costing sound card, like the Asus Xonar DG or DGX might(?) offer a small improvement in audio quality, over your motherboard's on-board audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back