AK240 vs iPhone 5S
Apr 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ubs28

Headphoneus Supremus
How much better does the AK240 sound relative to the iPhone 5S?

I'm currently using the iPhone 5S with the Shure SE846. If there is a big enough difference in sound quality, I might consider buying the AK240. 

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 11
I am glad you asked this, too!!! I am a WESTONE W4 and WESTONE UM3X user. I have all my music encoded in Apple Lossless from compact discs, played through an iPhone 5s and/or 7th gen iPod Classic. The AK240 has me all worked up, and I am thinking that may be what I wanna purchase soon. Anyone with opinions would be appreciated. Hoping this may be the next upgrade step I wanna take (hopefully for along time, if I am spending $2,499!?!?!?)

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 11
I am glad you asked this, too!!! I am a WESTONE W4 and WESTONE UM3X user. I have all my music encoded in Apple Lossless from compact discs, played through an iPhone 5s and/or 7th gen iPod Classic. The AK240 has me all worked up, and I am thinking that may be what I wanna purchase soon. Anyone with opinions would be appreciated. Hoping this may be the next upgrade step I wanna take (hopefully for along time, if I am spending $2,499!?!?!?)

I have a question for you as I also own an iPhone 5 and a 7th Generation Classic - When adjusting volume, on my iPhone I am close to 75% to get the same volume as my classic is at 40% - I don't have any kind of limiter on - no sound check, just the Classic is a lot louder (and actually sounds better)

Is this what you experience?

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 11
I have a question for you as I also own an iPhone 5 and a 7th Generation Classic - When adjusting volume, on my iPhone I am close to 75% to get the same volume as my classic is at 40% - I don't have any kind of limiter on - no sound check, just the Classic is a lot louder (and actually sounds better)

Is this what you experience?

I wouldn't say I have that same experience...I feel like I am always turning these players up and up and up! They both sound good through either pair of WESTONE's. Neither the iPhone or the iPod Classic seems like it demands more or less volume.

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 11
I wouldn't say I have that same experience...I feel like I am always turning these players up and up and up! They both sound good through either pair of WESTONE's. Neither the iPhone or the iPod Classic seems like it demands more or less volume.

Interesting - with any of my headphones, to achieve an equal volume I have to turn up the iPhone a lot higher.

May 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 11
How much better does the AK240 sound relative to the iPhone 5S?

I'm currently using the iPhone 5S with the Shure SE846. If there is a big enough difference in sound quality, I might consider buying the AK240. 
This is exactly what I wanted to know. The difference between my iPhone 5S and high-end setup is quite significant when I use the SE846. Both at 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Therefore, I think the upcoming iOS 8 hi-res capability might not fill the gap between the 5S and devices such as the AK240. I can afford the AK240, but the price must be justified. Honestly, I wish the AK240 had a much smaller (cheaper) screen to save costs.

May 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 11
This is exactly what I wanted to know. The difference between my iPhone 5S and high-end setup is quite significant when I use the SE846. Both at 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Therefore, I think the upcoming iOS 8 hi-res capability might not fill the gap between the 5S and devices such as the AK240. I can afford the AK240, but the price must be justified. Honestly, I wish the AK240 had a much smaller (cheaper) screen to save costs.

Sony,

I too am waiting to see if iOS 8 allows for high resolution audio and if it does I would bet anything that either the iPhone 6 and/or an iPod Touch 6th would have DACs to allow hi-rez play back as well as greater storage (at least 128GB). We will get a clue at the WWDC in June.

May 18, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Indeed, spook76. I can't wait for the presentation at WWDC either. I'm kind of worried that the high-res output will be exclusively possible through the Lightning port. Imagine being restricted to buy Apple earbuds that have a Lightning plug at the end of the cable while we have SE846's that we want to use for hi-res.

May 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 11
Indeed, spook76. I can't wait for the presentation at WWDC either. I'm kind of worried that the high-res output will be exclusively possible through the Lightning port. Imagine being restricted to buy Apple earbuds that have a Lightning plug at the end of the cable while we have SE846's that we want to use for hi-res.

Sony, in the mean time check out the Tune Shell app. You can download and play up to 24/48 (FLAC and ALAC) which for my type of music (prog rock) is the end of the road. HDTracks and other high rez sites do not have much if any prog rock.

I am at an end game for my DAP. I have 64GB iPod Touch and only am using about 40GB (I am very selective on my music). As for the balanced amp in the AK240 I have that covered with my RSA Lightning amp so I see no need or even a desire for an AK240. Also, my portable set up was only $900 as opposed to $2,500.

May 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks, spook76, I'll try TuneShell. My standalone high-end setup really pushes the SE846 to it's limits. If the AK240 or AK120 has that kind of sound quality, I am thinking about buying one. My main concern is that these portable DAPs, that are 2X ~ 4X the price of a used high-end CD player don't surpass or even rival the high-end standalone decks. I can't audition them before buying. One thing that's also really holding me back is the idea of carrying 2 devices around.

May 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks, spook76, I'll try TuneShell. My standalone high-end setup really pushes the SE846 to it's limits. If the AK240 or AK120 has that kind of sound quality, I am thinking about buying one. My main concern is that these portable DAPs, that are 2X ~ 4X the price of a used high-end CD player don't surpass or even rival the high-end standalone decks. I can't audition them before buying. One thing that's also really holding me back is the idea of carrying 2 devices around.

Use Scotch Guard from 3M and attach your DAP to your amplifier. No rubber bands and your touch screen is fully available. Very low profile and with Scitch Guard they are not coming apart unless you pry them apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back