AK Connect drop out with A+K Kann Alpha after few minutes
Feb 27, 2021 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

stellk3rn

New Head-Fier
Just switched from my battered old Kann to a Kann Alpha but having AK Connect issues. Using this to stream (Tidal), or to connect with my NAS it just drops out after one track or about 4-5 minutes, saying it has disconnected. WiFi signal strength is not an issue. I have ensured the sleep setting is off for AK Connect not that this should be an issue. it re-connects immediately and I think if I select another track before the 'time' is up it then stays connected for another 5 minutes, although I need to test this thoroughly. Looks like a software issue to me.

I have tried the search function and not uncovered anything related I can see.

Any ideas?

Great sound. Poor functionality!

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 21
Hi,
Also suffered the same issues as yourself.
I even managed to speak to the A&K Rep on this site via private message but has since offered no reply after advising me that this will be discussed in his meeting. This was a couple of weeks ago.
My posts/threads on this site have not had any input as to the issue so I guess no one knows yet of this issue or can offer a solution.

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 21
Hi,
Also suffered the same issues as yourself.
I even managed to speak to the A&K Rep on this site via private message but has since offered no reply after advising me that this will be discussed in his meeting. This was a couple of weeks ago.
My posts/threads on this site have not had any input as to the issue so I guess no one knows yet of this issue or can offer a solution.
I suppose some consolation that I am not alone, but not much. I will watch this space.

Thanks

Feb 27, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 21
Here's one consolation.
Connect the Alpha via your Mobile Phone on its Hot Spot setting.
This seems to work. On going connection.
May I ask what Landline Phone/Broadband supplier you use?
This indicates that the Alpha goes in to sleep mode when directly connected to a Landline Network connection.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 21
Cannot try the mobile hotspot connection option easily at home as we have no mobile reception to speak of. I could try it next week when I am at work.

Landline and broadband are BT. We have fibre to the hub.

I'm not sure the Alpha has gone to sleep as such. It just appears to 'time out' the WiFi connection, even though the 'sleep if no activity' function is disabled. Note is does it when connected to the NAS on the WLAN so I am not sure how a landline issue would affect that.

I will fiddle around this pm and see if I can work out more.

Bruce

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 21
Connect your Mobile Phone to your BT Broadband Network.
Then connect the Alpha to your Mobile Phone via Hot Spot.
It uses your BT Network connection not Mobile Phone Network.
I have the same BT Service as you. The Alpha may go into sleep mode as the Router does not pick up the Alpha as still being active and therefore either disconnects or cancels the lease of the connection.
My thoughts and not being an expert.... 😁

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 21
Connect your Mobile Phone to your BT Broadband Network.
Then connect the Alpha to your Mobile Phone via Hot Spot.
It uses your BT Network connection not Mobile Phone Network.
I have the same BT Service as you. The Alpha may go into sleep mode as the Router does not pick up the Alpha as still being active and therefore either disconnects or cancels the lease of the connection.
My thoughts and not being an expert.... 😁
This is interesting. Used on a WiFi hotspot from my phone it works fine. Tries on a WifI extender (netgear) in an annexe of my house that is wired to the BT hub it drops out after one track on Tidal.

For the life of me I cannot see any support contact for A+K

Bruce

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 21
This is interesting. Used on a WiFi hotspot from my phone it works fine. Tries on a WifI extender (netgear) in an annexe of my house that is wired to the BT hub it drops out after one track on Tidal.

For the life of me I cannot see any support contact for A+K

Bruce
Contact for the official A&K office is via email. They are pretty prompt but they have not been able to encounter the issue at their offices when hooking up their Alpha and experimenting. They has full playback via streaming and no disconnects or cut outs.
I've raised the issue with Jason here on the forum but all has gone quiet.

Dec 19, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 21
No solution I am afraid. It appears that my BT Home Hub does not continue the connection as it does not realise the Kann is still active with the stream. I have not had any issues with the Kann on any other WiFi network (such as using my mobile as a WiFi hotspot as detailed above) or indeed on my own network with other streaming devices. I cannot think of any solution unless A+K can update the firmware. I don't think it is a BT problem.

Bruce

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 21
Just some additional information. I have recently purchased an A&K SR25 MK II. I experience the same drop-out symptoms as previously described. Again, signal strength does not appear to be an issue with my setup. Streaming from my NAS fails after 1 or 2 tracks. The hot spot work around is not applicable in this scenario as the local network cannot be accessed by the SR25 when connected to the hot spot. My Service Provider is BT and I have the BT Smart Hub 2. Mobile Phone iPhone 12 mini.
Let's hope a fix is possible with a f/w update!

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #13 of 21
Just some additional information. I have recently purchased an A&K SR25 MK II. I experience the same drop-out symptoms as previously described. Again, signal strength does not appear to be an issue with my setup. Streaming from my NAS fails after 1 or 2 tracks. The hot spot work around is not applicable in this scenario as the local network cannot be accessed by the SR25 when connected to the hot spot. My Service Provider is BT and I have the BT Smart Hub 2. Mobile Phone iPhone 12 mini.
Let's hope a fix is possible with a f/w update!
Thats been an ongoing issue for the last 1.5 years. I'm surprised they haven't resolved this yet 😳

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 21
I've bought a new router TP-Link Archer C6 V3 and it solved the connection drop!
Excellent! I’m glad you have found a resolve. It is a shame though that the rest of us will probably have to invest in a new Router if we want to avoid the ‘drop out’ that is still an ongoing Issue. I am surprised that this has not been resolved finally via a Firmware update. It seems that if A&K do not encounter the issue themselves they will not concern themselves of it. I know this as I had an Alpha that dropped out internet connection after about 15 minutes of streaming. A&K investigated on their side, could not replicate the issue on their side, so that was that. Yup…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back