AK 240 Stainless Steel Edition Thread
Jun 13, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #541 of 735
Well there are only two screws in the bottom and I do not notice any scratches or problem with my returned unit. The clear plastic is still on my unit. I would say it came back in good shape.

Thanks for the reply.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #542 of 735

I don't think so. Unlike a standard potentiometer with a metal shaft on which the knob is tightened down on, the optical encoder that AK uses for volume control inherently has more play to it. On my first 240 that went bad, the knob was really wiggly (not as bad as the original AK100) and I was disappointed since my AK120 had a tight feeling knob. When the 240 was replaced by iriver, the new one had a noticeably tighter knob. When I got my SS, it, too, had a tight knob with just a bit of play. I think it is just a sample variation that AK doesn't QC for, at least that's what I inferred from reading others with wiggly volume wheels.

I could be wrong about this, so if the real information is desired, I'd email Vinnie at Red Wine Audio. He would certainly know if there's a way to tighten up the looseness.

Thanks for the info!
The volume knob on the SS is the only thing I dislike coming from a regular 240. On the regular 240, the volume wheel had quite a bit more resistance when turning compared to the 240, which still gets me a bit annoyed.

Annoying that AK wouldn't take a bit more care about such an important part of the player.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #543 of 735
Jun 14, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #544 of 735
By the way guys, how do you all polish your 240SSs? Mine is developing a bit of dirt and I'd like to restore it to its full glory.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #545 of 735
  By the way guys, how do you all polish your 240SSs? Mine is developing a bit of dirt and I'd like to restore it to its full glory.

Good question. I've never had to do so since I handle it like jewelry.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #546 of 735

Good question. I've never had to do so since I handle it like jewelry.

Eh, took it out of the case and realized it lost some of its shine..

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #547 of 735
Eh, took it out of the case and realized it lost some of its shine..

Well one of my favourite combo is the 240ss + Hugo. You have something special there.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #548 of 735
Just received my modded 240ss today, almost forget the sound signature of original 240ss,Just feel the modded one has better dynamic and in other word ... Not as gentle as before, however need further burn in and observe any SQ change. Anyone can share the observation with me and burn in how long time to reach the optimize and stable performance as find a bit harsh.

Just my preliminary comment in 1st hour listening

Kelvin

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #549 of 735
Just sent my AK240SS for a complete overhaul/mod by Musashi Sound Technologies, pricey as hell but after hearing the partial mod I was blown away.
The partial mode gave the 240SS an energy and clarity to the sound that topped that of the 380 Black.
Will post impressions once it arrives!

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #550 of 735
Just sent my AK240SS for a complete overhaul/mod by Musashi Sound Technologies, pricey as hell but after hearing the partial mod I was blown away.
The partial mode gave the 240SS an energy and clarity to the sound that topped that of the 380 Black.
Will post impressions once it arrives!

Very interested to hear your impression. It is huge and hard to believe if it can top the 380 black. I'm still not sure about the changes to my RWAK mod. I think it is because the mod changes the original sound signature somewhat. From a very clean and neutral signature to a signature with more bass with a slightly warmer feel. It is less bright with more body. It would be nice if you have access to a RWAK mod and compare the two.

Jun 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #551 of 735
Very interested to hear your impression. It is huge and hard to believe if it can top the 380 black. I'm still not sure about the changes to my RWAK mod. I think it is because the mod changes the original sound signature somewhat. From a very clean and neutral signature to a signature with more bass with a slightly warmer feel. It is less bright with more body. It would be nice if you have access to a RWAK mod and compare the two.

Well, disclaimer: I heard a newly done and mostly un-burnt in player, and then the same player after a day of burn in.
Compared to the 380 Black, the two players still have a very different sound signature. I feel that the 380 has a more 'reference' sound with more gentle bass and smoother treble, while the 240SS is a more 'fun' sound with higher bass punch.  However, the 380 to me still has that edge in technicalities, especially in the staging and sense of immersiveness. It also had more 'energy' to the sound, which I know is hard to wrap one's head around especially after I just said the 240SS is more 'fun', but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

After hearing the Stage 1 MST mod, which involves an upgrade of the AK240's clock to a 1ppm TCXO and the addition of electrolyric caps, I felt that the 240 gained a large boost in clarity and energy, and was able to best the 380 in energy and sense of immersiveness. It could not, however, best the 380 Copper, which has the most immersiveness and energy I've ever experienced in a stock DAP.

I'm very excited to hear what Ryuzoh's complete mod (basically a complete overhaul of the 240's amplifier section) sounds like, and I have high hopes that it will be able to best the 380 Black and come close to the 380 Copper!

Nathan over at Headfonia has done a very nice write-up about this mod, which is how I heard about it in the first place (cheers, man!), and more info about the mod can be found in it.

P.s. While Ryuzoh @ MST uses the OPA211 for the single ended output OpAmp, I requested to use the AD8675 for a more balanced sound signature. Can't wait!

Edit: Will try to find an RWAK240SS for a comparison, but I believe it will be very unlikely I will find one in Singapore. Maybe in the fall, when I am in the USA, I'll have more luck.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #552 of 735
Well, disclaimer: I heard a newly done and mostly un-burnt in player, and then the same player after a day of burn in.
Compared to the 380 Black, the two players still have a very different sound signature. I feel that the 380 has a more 'reference' sound with more gentle bass and smoother treble, while the 240SS is a more 'fun' sound with higher bass punch.  However, the 380 to me still has that edge in technicalities, especially in the staging and sense of immersiveness. It also had more 'energy' to the sound, which I know is hard to wrap one's head around especially after I just said the 240SS is more 'fun', but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

After hearing the Stage 1 MST mod, which involves an upgrade of the AK240's clock to a 1ppm TCXO and the addition of electrolyric caps, I felt that the 240 gained a large boost in clarity and energy, and was able to best the 380 in energy and sense of immersiveness. It could not, however, best the 380 Copper, which has the most immersiveness and energy I've ever experienced in a stock DAP.

I'm very excited to hear what Ryuzoh's complete mod (basically a complete overhaul of the 240's amplifier section) sounds like, and I have high hopes that it will be able to best the 380 Black and come close to the 380 Copper!

Nathan over at Headfonia has done a very nice write-up about this mod, which is how I heard about it in the first place (cheers, man!), and more info about the mod can be found in it.

P.s. While Ryuzoh @ MST uses the OPA211 for the single ended output OpAmp, I requested to use the AD8675 for a more balanced sound signature. Can't wait!

Edit: Will try to find an RWAK240SS for a comparison, but I believe it will be very unlikely I will find one in Singapore. Maybe in the fall, when I am in the USA, I'll have more luck.

Please go the the 380 impression thread and read my impression on my RWAK240SS mod (Post # 5617). I think it is exciting if we can put the two mod side by side and compare. Is there anyway to do this? Thank you or doing this mod as I don't think anyone here will spend that kind of money to do it and thanks for sharing. I am just very curious to hear your mod.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #553 of 735
Please go the the 380 impression thread and read my impression on my RWAK240SS mod. I think it is exciting if we can put the two mod side by side and compare. Is there anyway to do this? Thank you or doing this mod as I don't think anyone here will spend that kind of money to do it and thanks for sharing. I am just very curious to hear your mod.

That would be interesting indeed!
I decided to do the mod as I absolutely love the form factor of the 240SS, and cannot stand the sizes and dimensions of the 380 and other players. Since I like the current 240SS body so far, I thought I might as well make it as great sounding as possible!

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #554 of 735
That would be interesting indeed!
I decided to do the mod as I absolutely love the form factor of the 240SS, and cannot stand the sizes and dimensions of the 380 and other players. Since I like the current 240SS body so far, I thought I might as well make it as great sounding as possible!

You are disgustingly crazy, but I agree with your take on the 240. Will you be attending this year RMAF? If so, may be I can have a listen to your mod. Btw, does the mod improves the balance out also? Sound like it is only modding the SE output. At least the380cu is still the best of the best :wink:

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #555 of 735
You are disgustingly crazy, but I agree with your take on the 240. Will you be attending this year RMAF? If so, may be I can have a listen to your mod. Btw, does the mod improves the balance out also? Sound like it is only modding the SE output. At least the380cu is still the best of the best :wink:

Wont be able to attend RMAF, unfortunately.. Yes, it indeed mods the balanced out as well, albeit slightly differently in terms of components versus the single ended.
I personally prefer the single ended, as the sound characteristics of the SS's grounding appeal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back