AirPods Max
Mar 25, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #3,661 of 5,629
Is curious how so, so many people continuing saying / repeating that Bose is having terrible sound in this and others threads.

The qc35 / qc35ii is having in fact very decent audio quality. I personally preferring the qc35/qc35ii than nc700 sound and many others headphones. And isn't only the extraordinary comfort and excellent ANC of this models, but the excellent 'adaptive' sound that changing when volume is changing so that low frequencies changing according with more realistic way we hearing bass.
I own the qc earbuds and i like their sound a lot. For true wireless earbuds they really have an impressively balanced presentation with adequate detail. Sometimes i prefer qc sound from the one of my AirPods Pro.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #3,662 of 5,629
What a great post very succinct way of articulating your experience. I think it’s going to help me a lot because I’ve been around the block Making a decision. Here’s a backstory....I made a tube amp for that I purchased LCD 2s. Now I have tremors and I can’t hold a soldering iron to fix my 300 B so I sold the LCDs on eBay. I am mostly an apple home strike that I’m a total Apple home so I went to order the APMs. They just look damn good I almost don’t care what they sound like and I really can’t hear anymore. After a week I chickened out on the price and ordered the Bose 700s they were a real nice set of cans but I just thought something could sound better. I returned them to Amazon and ordered the Sony 1000 HW 4. I really tried to like them. Really. The return window has expired and I am having a lot of difficulties with Bluetooth syncing to an iPad and iPhone and a MacBook air all very recent gear. I have to do a whole lot of machinations to get them to pair I’ll have to use their app to find out what devices they see and turn Bluetooth off turn Bluetooth on erase one end or the other that Task Bose has down in spades never had to do a thing whether it’s one device or two. Then there are the notification tones that come in when there’s an email or a text what have you they blow my ears off my head. I’m constantly adjusting the volume. Probably user error and maybe I’m just too stupid to figure it out. Anyway I’m taking the eBay photos in a half an hour posting it when it sells I’ll order the Apple PMs. I’m old I can’tRemember the name. Thanks again shakes. I should be called tremors

Disclaimer this was written using English and punctuation on the fourth grade level and I’m too lazy to bring it up to the seventh grade level
Good news! The Sony cans sold and the APM’s are ordered. A dude in Texas got a Texas sized deal. I’m pleased anyway. I ordered Silver to go with my hair. Stealth and all. The big fruit company says they’ll arrive between March 30 and April 6th. My ears can probably pickup half of what they’ll put out but I’ll look fly.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,663 of 5,629
Nope I can assure u it’s not in contact at all. If u plot the head vs ear placement on most humans, it’s unlikely that can happen without the headphones sliding off totally.. but maybe on some square heads.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nice stand. Did you make it?

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #3,664 of 5,629
When the BFC (Big Fruit Company) dropped the first and subsequent AirPods on the market, my guess is they didn’t make a huge kerfuffle. After all they weren’t Cans. APMs >>>Them is Cans! BFC just rolled and took Kamchatka. We now have 246 pages of a Raging Kerfuffle. Where is this going? Is it one and done for the BFC? Or rev II & III ? Perhaps another line entirely ? It will surely be interesting. Will the single most monolithic player on the planet continue to play in a street corner crap game? Think about it ...... they make their own silicon! I’ll end with this link to a company my son worked for. It’s a Total Mind Blower

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #3,665 of 5,629
I just got my green AirPods Max delivered today. About to listen to them after months of having had them returned. Since then I’ve been through new amps, DACS, headphones, and IEM’s. Buying, returning, selling...

So it’ll be interesting to put these back on my head after so long and so many other listening experiences coming and going. I think this time though I’ll write up a proper review on the forum, and not just a post in this thread with my impressions.

These never got a proper review from people and were kind of brushed aside too hastily by many. I’m hoping to do a good job at contextualizing the APM for people with my review later. Maybe help people better understand how and in what extent they may be able to appreciate the APM in their collection, or if to have it at all. I returned mine before, but I’ve missed them ever since for what they did great: live recordings.

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #3,666 of 5,629
I just got my green AirPods Max delivered today. About to listen to them after months of having had them returned. Since then I’ve been through new amps, DACS, headphones, and IEM’s. Buying, returning, selling...

So it’ll be interesting to put these back on my head after so long and so many other listening experiences coming and going. I think this time though I’ll write up a proper review on the forum, and not just a post in this thread with my impressions.

These never got a proper review from people and were kind of brushed aside too hastily by many. I’m hoping to do a good job at contextualizing the APM for people with my review later. Maybe help people better understand how and in what extent they may be able to appreciate the APM in their collection, or if to have it at all. I returned mine before, but I’ve missed them ever since for what they did great: live recordings.

Were there any silent revisions to the AirPods Max tuning? Or is this just me being used to so much different stuff over the last couple months?

I swear the treble is less sibilant on tracks I recalled them being sibilant, and the sub-bass not as high as I remember feeling it to be. Man memory and experience really messes with stuff if there was no silent revision!

Mar 26, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #3,667 of 5,629
Mar 27, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #3,669 of 5,629
Were there any silent revisions to the AirPods Max tuning? Or is this just me being used to so much different stuff over the last couple months?

I swear the treble is less sibilant on tracks I recalled them being sibilant, and the sub-bass not as high as I remember feeling it to be. Man memory and experience really messes with stuff if there was no silent revision!

There was a major firmware update two weeks ago. I posted about it at the time but I absolutely noticed a sound quality improvement.

See posts 3566 and 3578:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/airpods-max.949152/post-16239221

and

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/airpods-max.949152/post-16242731

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #3,670 of 5,629
Can anyone compare the Sony MDR-1AM2 with AMP? Plugged in and wireless mode?
If they are comparable I would like to "upgrade" to the AMP as ANC may be useful. For pure listening I will listen wired and a 300zx.

Do not want multiple headsphones so the AMP would replace the Sony so would really like some feedback

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #3,671 of 5,629
If they are comparable I would like to "upgrade" to the AMP as ANC may be useful. For pure listening I will listen wired and a 300zx.

Do not want multiple headsphones so the AMP would replace the Sony so would really like some feedback
AirPods Max or APM for short. Retrain your fingers!

In many countries, Apple or third party vendors have generous return policies to encourage sales of pricey products. So free trial! Reading between the lines gets you to a consensus opinion on many headphones here, but really it boils down to if you like a particular model or not from personal experience. Generally, most who post here have several headphones (constantly changing), so I suspect most are not going to say one pair of headphones works for them with every genre of music, or even time of day!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #3,672 of 5,629
I would keep the 1AM2. The Max won’t sound as good on the ZX300 and the fact that the 1AM2 has the Balanced cable makes a huge difference. I’ve tested the Max Wired using the 1A and 1Z players, and the sound stage and imaging is just better on the 1AM2. Plus with the Max, they won’t run passively. You always need to have them charged to use them even when they’re not using noise canceling.

But as always, test it out. It’s the only route to go

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #3,673 of 5,629

I noticed a drop in vocal sibilance and treble smearing with time. Not sure if it was the driver burning in or if it was during a firmware update.

Mar 28, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #3,674 of 5,629
I would keep the 1AM2. The Max won’t sound as good on the ZX300 and the fact that the 1AM2 has the Balanced cable makes a huge difference. I’ve tested the Max Wired using the 1A and 1Z players, and the sound stage and imaging is just better on the 1AM2. Plus with the Max, they won’t run passively. You always need to have them charged to use them even when they’re not using noise canceling.

Thanks, just the feedback I was curious about. I'll forget about the APM for now

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #3,675 of 5,629

I noticed your gear. Is the Sony MDR-Z7M2 the next upgrade after the 1AM2? How would you compare, is it a big jump? If not what would you recommend with the zx300?
I'm guessing the 1am2 is the sweet spot for ZX300 but always looking a worthy upgrade if the value is there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back