AirPods Max
Jan 8, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,311 of 5,629
While I will not suggest that the wide variations we've seen from positional changes on our measurement fixture can not happen with actual humans, I will only reiterate that we few humans here at Head-Fi HQ have not experienced those kinds of variations when listening to the AirPods Max on our own heads.

Again, I think when faced with measurements that don't square at all with what you're hearing, be curious and keep measuring.

100% agree with this. If a measurement doesn't match up with subjective impressions it's always important to figure out why that's happening.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,314 of 5,629
Wow, just discovered this is the last return day for APMs purchased directly from Apple in Dec. Jan 8, not later as I supposed. Heads up guys!

Yes, today is the last day to do so if you purchased during the holiday season.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,316 of 5,629
Thanks to this thread, I found out about the Balanced Tone setting. I don't know if it's allowed to post here, but I've written my first review in 10 years.

https://inoads.com/articles/2020-01-08-APM

Interesting! I tried it out and it does seem to really bring the mids forward. I like it quite a bit. I can imagine some users using this as their primary setting. I have grown fond of the stock tuning and will be leaving it there but I think it’s worth checking out for a solid number of headphone nerds.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #2,317 of 5,629
This is a headphone built for humans (of course), and as human-like as our measurement fixtures can be (especially the Brüel & Kjær 5128 that we and Apple use), they're still not human. I'm not sure why yet, but this seems to matter to the AirPods Max.
I suspect the subject of test methodology has been debated ad nauseam many times in many places, but to point out the obvious: it is unlikely the materials used to create testing headforms and pinna have the same absorption and reflectance properties of live human skin. I am sure that Apple tested many ears using negative headforms and I would suspect they made molds of a number of ears to use as test rigs. From this point, you can now test the audio signature difference of the artificial pinna and surrounding head, skin, and hair against the signature obtained with the real thing. From them, you can now make an algorithm to adjust the adaptive EQ against whole cohorts of humans with the test rig.

To the extent that the APMs may sound better (or worse) than their test rig FR might suggest could be due to Apple's methodology in developing said algorithms on top of actual on ear adaptive EQ. If this is true (seems probable to me), then while FR curves on test rigs would make for a great development tool, it will be relatively meaningless compared to the verdicts rendered by the truly acute hearing of audiophiles.

Trivial to say, but I will say it anyway, FR curves will bias many listeners here (already lots of posts in recent posts in this thread suggest just that) and so may prove to be a disservice for better or worse for any buy or sell decisions of any headphone, with or without actual use.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #2,319 of 5,629
Li-ion batteries have a total charge cycles before they go bad. This number is normally around 500, but it will vary from battery to battery (even for the same model of battery). So say you deplete the battery to 50% and chart to full. You've used ½ of a charge cycle doing this. Say you deplete ½ again and charge full again, now you're at 1 charge cycle. Another person can deplete completely and recharge to full and use 1 charge cycle.
I could be wrong, but the cycle count, although easy to do, is not the whole story. There is a ton of hard evidence that lithium batteries degrade faster when charged above 80%, or depleted less than 20%. Thus deplete to zero and charge to 100% will result in an accurate cycle predicted lifespan repeatedly, but not an optimal long life.

My hybrid (which has a lithium battery) automatically keeps battery charge within a very tight range close to 50%. Some BEVs like Teslas warn you like crazy when you get too low, and go into a limp mode or even turn off to prevent damage, and limit regular charging to 80% (which can be overridden should you need more range on that day).

Cellphones users tend towards worst case charging to 100% overnight, and often depleting to very low levels. I recently bought an iPhone Mini and find that 30 minutes of timed charging a day keeps me between 85% and 30% with some ease. So for the first time in my life, I'm not leaving my cellphone plugged in overnight.

The APMs unfortunately have a cellphone like use case. Very difficult to manage charging levels, even with 20 hours play time. Unless Apple has built in some algorithm similar to hybrids to have top and bottom capacity margins for long life, I fear regular users may suffer from 3 years or less battery life before needing for practical reasons to replace it.

In fact, the same may be true for irregular users like me. While I have now returned them (today), I did have the battery go dead on me once with a couple days of disuse (never used the case). That also doesn't bode well for battery life.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,322 of 5,629
I could be wrong, but the cycle count, although easy to do, is not the whole story. There is a ton of hard evidence that lithium batteries degrade faster when charged above 80%, or depleted less than 20%. Thus deplete to zero and charge to 100% will result in an accurate cycle predicted lifespan repeatedly, but not an optimal long life.

My hybrid (which has a lithium battery) automatically keeps battery charge within a very tight range close to 50%. Some BEVs like Teslas warn you like crazy when you get too low, and go into a limp mode or even turn off to prevent damage, and limit regular charging to 80% (which can be overridden should you need more range on that day).

Cellphones users tend towards worst case charging to 100% overnight, and often depleting to very low levels. I recently bought an iPhone Mini and find that 30 minutes of timed charging a day keeps me between 85% and 30% with some ease. So for the first time in my life, I'm not leaving my cellphone plugged in overnight.

The APMs unfortunately have a cellphone like use case. Very difficult to manage charging levels, even with 20 hours play time. Unless Apple has built in some algorithm similar to hybrids to have top and bottom capacity margins for long life, I fear regular users may suffer from 3 years or less battery life before needing for practical reasons to replace it.

In fact, the same may be true for irregular users like me. While I have now returned them (today), I did have the battery go dead on me once with a couple days of disuse (never used the case). That also doesn't bode well for battery life.

Cars are a different story since the gain of hitting 100% doesn't gain you any more range and actually costs you part of a charge cycle and money in electricity. If you charge an EV to 80% you could go as far as you would have if you charged to 100% (depending on driving style). This is due to the fact that at 100%, you can't take advantage of regenerative braking. Thus Teslas normally don't charge past like 80-90%. In short, to be able to achieve a higher EPA MPG-EV-equivalent rating, it's better for the manufacturer to charge to a lower power level and have regenerative braking still be active after taking off. In reality, if the car could learn your driving habits, it could in theory charge to set you up to be the most cost efficient in terms of power costs. In short cars don't charge to 100% for a completely different reason, fuel economy.

The thing that normally degrades the batteries faster is heat. So using a fast charger, for example, would actually degrade the battery quicker. It's better for the battery to charge slow and steady and keep them cooler. If you rarely use the headphones, it may be a good idea to keep them plugged in as that would bypass the battery for the most part and they'd last far longer going that route. With regular use I'd probably expect these to last 4-5 years before the battery degrades. I think Apple is charging 80 dollars to service the battery.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,323 of 5,629
I’ll go against the grain and say that I’m actually a fan of the case. It reminds me of the AP & APP in style and use.

I think one of the guiding design principles is probably around reducing user friction points. Assuming that they tested this for rigorous consumer use and that it’s an effective case, it’s indeed very small and portable. I have already integrated it into my daily use while other cases only have been used for backpack transit duties.

The magnetic clamp and form factor are so portable and easy compared to big zipper cases. I’m a fan.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #2,325 of 5,629
I was thinking more about the dual-neodymium magnet driver coils and how they were inspired by other hifi designs. I was able to find this from RHA, does anyone have other similar designs they can find of similar nature? Could be interesting to discuss: https://www.rha-audio.com/blog/an-introduction-to-rhas-dualcoil-driver-technology

I was watching the product video on the apple website and noticed that when it shows the x-ray view of the drivers, that they appear to look like apple-aluminium in color/texture... would be very keen to see the ifixit breakdown and learn more about the driver material.

Edit: They already did it, here's the close up of the drivers:
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/3aMGKlIpNx2copIp.huge
And the general teardown link: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPods+Max+Teardown/139369

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back