AirPods Max
Jan 4, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,086 of 5,629
I have also not had any problems with condensation and I tend to listen for pretty long listening sessions 2/3 albums usually and I’ve been taking the pads off lately and checking. I also always see that one picture repeated over and over again and I feel the same way if this was really a widespread issue there should be more than one picture out there about it.

I’m still really liking the sound and last night I hooked them up to an x box series x controller with the lightning to 3.5 cable and it sounded great for gaming. I didn’t really test out the mic because I was playing pathfinder (I am not big into headset gaming this is really the first time I ever tried it) but the audio was nice and the directionality was really great. I am still blown away by that in surround sound or just transparency mode the ability to give natural and directional sound is remarkable.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,088 of 5,629
I got them today. I'm using them with an iPhone 12, with the "Brightness" setting set to "slight" in the Headphone Accomodations options under Accessibility. I felt they were a bit muted and laid back out of the box.

From an initial listening session, the detail on these is pretty marvelous. I'd even say it's a more detailed and yet more engaging listen than what I could get from the Hifiman Deva in its bluetooth mode or the Fidelio X2 (wired, duh). Not sure how much of that is due to the DSP applied but who cares. They're also way more comfortable than the Deva (which for example gave me a ton of squeaking noises with glasses)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,089 of 5,629
How are they in comparison to MDR-Z1R for you?

Different level completely :L3000:

The Z1R are wider, deeper and hits harder. But they don’t do noise cancellation and aren’t wireless. Both have their uses and moods :)

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #2,090 of 5,629
Have any of you experienced any issues with condensation inside the head phones actually getting into the drivers? I read some posts last night claiming that even without any physical exertion the aluminum cups do not enough air flow and depending on your environment the cups build up some condensation. Sounds like this could be a pretty serious problem if true as it's not like a simple software fix can take care of it.

I have had condensation appear once, the day after I got the headphones, my first long-term listening session. You can physically hear the water if you have ANC or transparency mode on as I think the headphones try to EQ adjust for the water which would cause issues (makes it create wind noise). The condensation was light, but I could see small droplets of water on the drivers, but nothing like the photos online have shown. I wiped them down and used one of those blowers you use to blow dust off camera sensors to try to dry the driver, but eventually just let them dry normally. Note I was sitting down working remotely (programming) when all of this occurred. Note that the issue only occurred in the right ear cup, the left was completely dry.

The problem has not happened since (2 weeks of use now I think) and I've used them to shovel my driveway of snow and ice a couple times already trying to reproduce the effect. Did the same listening session about 5 times now... It just refuses to happen again.

One of the main question I have is where is this water coming from. I don't really sweat when I put headphones on, never really have. So the water had to come from somewhere and in the quantities that I saw, it was unlikely the air.

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,091 of 5,629
Different level completely :L3000:

The Z1R are wider, deeper and hits harder. But they don’t do noise cancellation and aren’t wireless. Both have their uses and moods :)
I know I know, but people are often overly biased in order to justify their new purchase that's why I asked.
"The Z1R are wider, deeper and hits harder." - that's the answer I was looking for. So in my book you do indeed have a legitimate unbiased opinion. :)

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,092 of 5,629
I have had condensation appear once, the day after I got the headphones, my first long-term listening session. You can physically hear the water if you have ANC or transparency mode on as I think the headphones try to EQ adjust for the water which would cause issues (makes it create wind noise). The condensation was light, but I could see small droplets of water on the drivers, but nothing like the photos online have shown. I wiped them down and used one of those blowers you use to blow dust off camera sensors to try to dry the driver, but eventually just let them dry normally. Note I was sitting down working remotely (programming) when all of this occurred. Note that the issue only occurred in the right ear cup, the left was completely dry.

The problem has not happened since (2 weeks of use now I think) and I've used them to shovel my driveway of snow and ice a couple times already trying to reproduce the effect. Did the same listening session about 5 times now... It just refuses to happen again.

One of the main question I have is where is this water coming from. I don't really sweat when I put headphones on, never really have. So the water had to come from somewhere and in the quantities that I saw, it was unlikely the air.

Theoretically this could occur upon returning into the house after shoveling the snow, but more likely: Your ear-heat and head-heat kept the metal warm enough (even when outside) to prevent condensation when returning indoors. I think this is why it’s not replicating due to cold temperatures. Now if you sat them outside, unworn, and then wore them indoors, the water might reappear.

Edit to say: this issue appears to be really overblown (at least in colder and likely less humid conditions).

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #2,093 of 5,629
Theoretically this could occur upon returning into the house after shoveling the snow, but more likely: Your ear-heat and head-heat kept the metal warm enough (even when outside) to prevent condensation when returning indoors. I think this is why it’s not replicating due to cold temperatures. Now if you sat them outside, unworn, and then wore them indoors, the water might reappear.

Edit to say: this issue appears to be really overblown (at least in colder and likely less humid conditions).

This (bolded) was my original hypothesis on why it occurred in the first place. But it's odd that it took about 18 hours (after being sat in cold weather) for it to happen. The first time it happened I was inside (hadn't taken them outside yet) but they sat in a delivery truck for a good 10-12 hours where the temps were around 20F (-7C) for delivery. I assumed that condensation started there and took a while to actually move towards the driver. But it was a little far-fetched still. That said, delivery was the only place I saw that could cause said issue. It was an isolated issue.

Edit: that said I don't consider condensation an issue on my pair unless I can reproduce the issue reliably.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,094 of 5,629
These have been my go to cans for my weekly trips. I just throw them in my bag with my iPad air and enjoy the $@&^# out of them! :)

Just finished listening to some Nightwish on Tidal and they were fantastic!

They even sound good with chiptune & electronic music like this cool album on Spotify:

20210104_183941.jpg

Enjoying music is the most important thing for me.

If the cans are not making me move or have a stupid grin on my face they're not worth my time no matter how expensive they are or the gear they're plugged into :)

The ease of use, spatial audio, noise cancelation and transparency mode sealed the deal for me. :beyersmile:
Love for Apple is strong in this picture.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,095 of 5,629
My AirPods Max arrived today, 3 days earlier than expected. My first impression after intensive testing: With the use of my own audiogram under Accessibility / Headphone Accomodations, I can almost reach the sound quality of my B&O H95. (My own audiogramm is very similiar to the Setting „Brightness" set to "slight" in the Headphone Accomodations options under Accessibility). The B&O may play a bit more harmoniously and confidently, and that without EQ. The APM manage ANC and especially the transparency mode better than the H95, I hardly hear the espresso machine in ANC mode and I hear the Machine very well in transparency mode. Carrying comfort is better with the H95 and also the operation with the turning wheels. With the AirPods Max, I accidentally adjust the volume when putting it on and taking it off or press accidentally the crown. A lot has already been written about the case. Certainly ok for storage at home, for transport ... rather not. It is absolutely annoying that the ear shells click together like two boule Balls when you take them out. This is where the H95 scores with its elegant case and collapsible design. The APM are unbeaten when it comes to connectivity. Switching between different iPhones, Apple Watch and iPad works without any problems. I often had to renew the Bluetooth connection on the H95. These are my First impression. For the moment I think I will keep both.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,096 of 5,629
I want to say thank you to most of you. :)

While i wouldn't get the Airpods Max bc i'm on Android/ LG V30, i really appreciate the song recommendations in this thread. :v: :smile:

It is, and will be, a nice listening with the Mojo and D9200. :)

Have fun with your preferred headphone all the way, no matter what kind of, the love for good music is the glory path. :beerchug:

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #2,097 of 5,629
My AirPods Max arrived today, 3 days earlier than expected. My first impression after intensive testing: With the use of my own audiogram under Accessibility / Headphone Accomodations, I can almost reach the sound quality of my B&O H95. (My own audiogramm is very similiar to the Setting „Brightness" set to "slight" in the Headphone Accomodations options under Accessibility). The B&O may play a bit more harmoniously and confidently, and that without EQ. The APM manage ANC and especially the transparency mode better than the H95, I hardly hear the espresso machine in ANC mode and I hear the Machine very well in transparency mode. Carrying comfort is better with the H95 and also the operation with the turning wheels. With the AirPods Max, I accidentally adjust the volume when putting it on and taking it off or press accidentally the crown. A lot has already been written about the case. Certainly ok for storage at home, for transport ... rather not. It is absolutely annoying that the ear shells click together like two boule Balls when you take them out. This is where the H95 scores with its elegant case and collapsible design. The APM are unbeaten when it comes to connectivity. Switching between different iPhones, Apple Watch and iPad works without any problems. I often had to renew the Bluetooth connection on the H95. These are my First impression. For the moment I think I will keep both.

I think is a good too idea and maybe more helpful that you giving your impressions of the sound comparing the factory sound of the 2 headphones because the audiogram with the APM is personal for every person and the headphone accommodation settings too of the APM. This is similar like saying the you liking the h95 (a lot) with modifications using the b&o EQ in the app.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,098 of 5,629
Are there any known alternatives to the cable yet? I somehow missed ordering a cable and would very much like one now, but Apple says it's 8-10 weeks from dispatch.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #2,099 of 5,629
Are there any known alternatives to the cable yet? I somehow missed ordering a cable and would very much like one now, but Apple says it's 8-10 weeks from dispatch.

Look at Best Buy, Amazon, B&H Photo... Basically any Apple authorized retailer. One of them should have something in stock. Also check brick and mortar stores too.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,100 of 5,629
@ angelom:

That’s right. I first used the factory sound of the APM and for me it does not sound so clear In comparison to The H95. With my personal audiogram it’s much better, but the H95 sounds in my ears a little more sovereign (EQ is set to optimal). Optimal means signature In the English version of the App.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back