Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #511 of 550
Tell me an iem under 400 with the level of technicalities and upper treble of the P8.... That's right, you can't. BOOM I said it! P8 is hell of a set in technicalities, and man other much more expensive sets can't touch it.

Ohh btw the way to others who may not know. Aful is doing a 2 BA + 1 DD. I am pretty excited about it. Could be stellar.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #512 of 550
Tell me an iem under 400 with the level of technicalities and upper treble of the P8.... That's right, you can't. BOOM I said it! P8 is hell of a set in technicalities, and man other much more expensive sets can't touch it.

Ohh btw the way to others who may not know. Aful is doing a 2 BA + 1 DD. I am pretty excited about it. Could be stellar.

I don't think anyone is criticising the technical prowess of the P8, I think technically it's an amazing IEM, this recent topic was more about the 'timbre' specifically of the P8 and BA's in general, to be fair timbre is something that a lot of headphones/iem's don't do well imo, I think most people are not that bothered about it or even recognise it enough to be a big deciding factor and that's fine, end of the day if you like what you hear that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #513 of 550
Hi, a question for European buyers. Where did you buy the Performer series? I have the impression I had a lot more options a while ago. Now only Hifigo seems interesting and has stock. Any other ideas very welcome. Thanks everyone.

Apr 14, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #515 of 550

KiwiEears Quintett comes very close to P8 technicalities if you ask me. Both can be regarded as "Mini Annihilators" among treble lovers imho.

May 28, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #516 of 550
Exploring the AFUL (with the now defunct Performer3 name) Explorer. Just got mine and it is a beautiful sight to look at in the $120 price bracket. So far, the sound is no slouch either. The bass going into the mids is full of heft and body, such a smooth listen. I wouldn't consider it neutral but it's somewhat a balanced with a warm tilt. Resolution is up to par while staging and imaging is somewhat intimate. Will give this one some more ear time but so far, it's a nicely tuned set for me. Looks to be another hit for AFUL and it seems that they have a nice coverage of products across the different price ranges.

1000053828.jpg

1000053830.jpg

May 28, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #518 of 550
How does it compare to the performer 5?
Definitely prefer the Explorer over the Performer5 for me. Timbre is better and more natural in the Explorer than the P5's apparent BA timbre. Bass also felt well done and the mids have the right thickness, the P5 felt a little lean for me. Resolution seems neck and neck but the Explorer though have a more intimate presentation. Though still far off the technicalities and neutral appeal of the P8, the Explorer is an alternative if you want a smoother listen.

May 28, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #519 of 550
Definitely prefer the Explorer over the Performer5 for me. Timbre is better and more natural in the Explorer than the P5's apparent BA timbre. Bass also felt well done and the mids have the right thickness, the P5 felt a little lean for me. Resolution seems neck and neck but the Explorer though have a more intimate presentation. Though still far off the technicalities and neutral appeal of the P8, the Explorer is an alternative if you want a smoother listen.
I appreciate the response, thanks. The performer 5 is my favourite iem, so comfortable and sounds great. The filter just came out of the right unit, so wondering whether I need to buy a new set. Explorer is cheaper so didn’t expect it to be on par.

May 28, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #520 of 550
I also found that the Explorer performs at roughly the same technical performance with P5, but with better bass, and I also prefer the tuning of Explorer. It’s still not as technical as P8, though I prefer its tuning over P8.

May 28, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #521 of 550
I also found that the Explorer performs at roughly the same technical performance with P5, but with better bass, and I also prefer the tuning of Explorer. It’s still not as technical as P8, though I prefer its tuning over P8.
Wow, sounds like they might be cannibalising the sales of the p5 with the explorer. I really like the p5 and would happily get another now that the filter is broken (I’m not sure I can hear a sound difference but knowing it’s missing is bugging me), but with the price of the explorer, I may need to jump in…

May 28, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #522 of 550
Ok, I don't need any more info. Warm sound, not overtechnical, plain general fun. I need this. How are the tips and also what would be the better place to buy: hifigo direct, aliexpres hifigo, another? I live In Europe by the way.

Thanks all!

May 28, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #523 of 550
Ok, I don't need any more info. Warm sound, not overtechnical, plain general fun. I need this. How are the tips and also what would be the better place to buy: hifigo direct, aliexpres hifigo, another? I live In Europe by the way.

Thanks all!
Hifigo asked me to share these in the review. Since I’m still writing, might as well drop these here first

I’m in Australia. I order directly from Hifigo because it’s the quickest, and they agree to send to local post office for me.

Regarding the tips, the stock ones are okay, but I use Tri Clarion. The nozzle is the same as all previous AFUL IEMs, which is narrower than average.

It sounds acceptable from the R3II, but I think the stage is a bit better from W4 and Dx300. Need to test carefully one more time when I write up the review to confirm.

Sound isolation is good. I tested on the bus and walking along the main street today, no problem. No pressure build up for me with Tri Clarion tips either.

May 28, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #524 of 550
I think I’ll put an order in tomorrow. Can anyone comment on how they handle female vocals? Something like Taylor Swift, Michelle Branch, Freya Ridings etc. Sounds like the bass is easily the star of the show so should be ok for pop punk, but the above artists don’t really need much in the way of bass.

May 28, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #525 of 550
I have the P5, and more recently, I purchased the P8 (I own the Thieaudio Monarch 3, which is my favorite right now, and have the Fiio FA19 coming, along with the IO Audio Volare). I must admit I find the P8 quite the performer (no pun intended) for the price. I hardly ever listen to the P5 unfortunately. I never thought of it as terrible, but not enough to make me take notice of its sound. But the P8 has something that keeps it in my ears when I'm traveling around on short trips. I think the P8 performs about its price handily. It leans towards neutral, but with the right ear tips, there is plenty of sub-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back