Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #181 of 550
Like I've said, there can be difference between two sources/cables if one of them change the sound in some way. Meaning that one of them has an issue of some kind. Properly engineered equipment doesn't change the sound (for example JDS Labs products), unless the change is desired one, like DSP or EQ.

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #182 of 550
For me, if the evidence from my senses tells me “plug this thing in, sounds good”, and such evidence appears consistently, then I would conclude and share with others that “plug this thing in, sounds good”. I have no evidence to conclude beyond that (e.g., good sound because of “more driving power”, “cleaner source”, “lower impedance”, “scalability”, “better engineered”, etc.). Maybe you are in a profession that gives you the skill and knowledge to comment on these aspects. But I know when I’m out of depth :dt880smile:

I personally don’t think / believe that it is “properly” vs “improper” engineering, but more a combination of deliberate design choices and the fact that interaction between components in a chain and the interpretation of the brain is more complex than “good number, best sound”.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #183 of 550
So I should just use the $9 Apple dongle, and not my Qudelix 5K? I’m not using any EQ with my P8. I swear I hear a difference, but it could be bias or volume not being matched.

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #184 of 550
Why not both? The apple dongle is great, it has very low power output, but sufiecent enough for most IEMs. The Qudelix 5K measurements looks very good as well. If you like one more than the other, then use it, just don't get obsessed with the sound differences.

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #186 of 550
I'm getting good results with spinfit w1 and h570 tips. What are your favourite tips for the p8?
Either JVC Spiral Dots or spinfit cp100

Jul 1, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #187 of 550
Why not both? The apple dongle is great, it has very low power output, but sufiecent enough for most IEMs. The Qudelix 5K measurements looks very good as well. If you like one more than the other, then use it, just don't get obsessed with the sound differences.
So the dongle does up to 1V. The Qudelix in single ended is also 1V. So it’s not a matter of power. At my listening level I’m using about 5-6mV of power according to the Qudelix app.

Jul 1, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #188 of 550
The Qudelix output 85 mW (unbalanced) into 33 ohm, compared to the 31 mW from the Apple dongle, is almost there times more powerful. I don't understand your concerns? You can use them both or whatever suits you better.

Jul 1, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #189 of 550
The Qudelix output 85 mW (unbalanced) into 33 ohm, compared to the 31 mW from the Apple dongle, is almost there times more powerful. I don't understand your concerns? You can use them both or whatever suits you better.
I’m just saying that I’m not using anywhere even near 1mW. I have no concern.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #191 of 550
Getting even better details and slightly improved soundstage with the TRI Clarion wide bore tips (Large). Coming from Spinfit 100.
Welcome to the forum and nice nickname :slight_smile:

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #193 of 550
I'm getting good results with spinfit w1 and h570 tips. What are your favourite tips for the p8?
Of these 2 I like the H570 best. The H570 has a wider bore compared to the w1's.
Thing I like most about these (p8) so far is their complete lack of too much treble while not sounding dark or lacking at all.

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #194 of 550
So I should just use the $9 Apple dongle, and not my Qudelix 5K? I’m not using any EQ with my P8. I swear I hear a difference, but it could be bias or volume not being matched.

If it’s better, repeatedly and consistently, then it is better, at least to you. I don’t see why you have to worry about “it could be bias or volume not match”.

It’s not about the max output power, IMHO. The Andromeda 2020 drains nothing and gets very loud with everything, but it does sound different when driven from a G5 as pure amp. It was quite funny to see a fellow head-fier that I met a few months back kept A/B with and without G5 because he couldn’t believe what he heard :dt880smile:

I use Xelastec. A bit annoying to wear, but the seal is solid, leading to stronger isolation and no loss of bass.

I prefer tips that push the earpieces out from the ears a bit. This helps increase the perception of stage width.

Jul 1, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #195 of 550
JVC Spiral Dots++ for me. The P8 already has good treble extension, the Spiral Dots took it just another notch above. Plus yes the fit for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back