Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #166 of 578
Then you’d like them more, but I wouldn’t. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to bass, but I wouldn’t want any more than what they already have.

I also like what my ER4SR does for bass when I give them a +3dB 125hz bass shelf, but they still don’t do sub-bass very well at all. They have a super fast mid-bass with plenty of snap, but still have no authority under 40hz. There is only so much a single BA can do. The Aful P8 fixes that.

IMG_1054.jpeg

Although the ER4SR measures with a decently flat and extended sub-bass there is really no power behind it.
If we complain about the bass enough, aful might give us a bass switch like Elysian Diva in the P14 :dt880smile:

Jun 25, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #167 of 578
If we complain about the bass enough, aful might give us a bass switch like Elysian Diva in the P14 :dt880smile:
I wouldn’t be opposed to a switch. I wonder what an impedance adapter does to the P8, but I guess you could just use EQ.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #168 of 578
I don’t think it lacks bass punch. It has just the amount of bass and punch that I want.
It certainly doesn't lack any punch at all.

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #169 of 578
I wouldn’t be opposed to a switch. I wonder what an impedance adapter does to the P8, but I guess you could just use EQ.
I have tried 18Ω impedance adapter and it adds too much bass, reducing the highs at the same time and making the P8 too dark sounding for my taste. I'm guessing 8-10Ω adapter would be enough to add more bass without overpowering the rest, but such adapters are hard to find. Actually, the more I listen to the P8 the more I realize that it has the perfect amount of bass for me. The only thing I would wish from it is 2-3db more sub bass. Other than that I really love it and since I've got it, I've lost interest in trying other IEM's and searching for the "holy grail" for now. I'm just thoroughly enjoying it, until ... P14? :L3000:

Jun 30, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #170 of 578
I find the P8’s to be very sensitive and easy to drive. So I was previously using mine with just an Apple Lightning dongle and was enjoying it. Then I for some reason decided to try them with my Topping NX4DSD. Definite improvement over the Apple dongle, but the NX4DSD has issues with channel imbalance at less than the 9 o’clock position on the knob so it’s not ideal.

This afternoon I decided to try them with my Qudelix 5K that I use wired with an iPhone, and it’s definitely also an improvement over the Apple dongle. I’d rather just leave an Apple dongle attached to the end of the P8 for the simplicity and ease, but I’m definitely hearing an improvement with the NX4DSD and 5K.

It seems worth the slightly extra hassle for the few percent better sound. Anyway, the point of my post is that they are efficient and only need about 5-6mV of power for my listening level. -45 ish on the Qudelix 5K just on the 3.5mm jack. So I’ll probably keep using them with the 5K.

IMG_1087.png

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #171 of 578
P8 does change based on the source setup and, god forbid, cable. Not every cable, but there is this esoteric DIY cable from a friend that change the tonality of everything. It’s wonkiness works with the flat FR of P8.

Anyhow, I’m happy enough with just BTR5. When I’m home, I connect BTR5 to G5 and gets the most soundstage depth out of these. It’s not “effortlessly” deep and layered like my U12t, so Finger-crossed for the next iteration.

But then that version wouldn’t be affordable enough to carry everywhere like these P8.

Jun 30, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #172 of 578
P8 does change based on the source setup and, god forbid, cable. Not every cable, but there is this esoteric DIY cable from a friend that change the tonality of everything. It’s wonkiness works with the flat FR of P8.

Anyhow, I’m happy enough with just BTR5. When I’m home, I connect BTR5 to G5 and gets the most soundstage depth out of these. It’s not “effortlessly” deep and layered like my U12t, so Finger-crossed for the next iteration.

But then that version wouldn’t be affordable enough to carry everywhere like these P8.

I don’t notice much, if any, difference between the 5K and the NX4DSD. They both use ESS DAC chips, so that’s probably part of it. I’m using the stock cable and stock tips.

Between the Apple dongle and the 5K/NX4DSD I feel that everything improves. They sound bigger and better separated, clearer, tighter, and better extended on each end. Just overall better.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #173 of 578
Hoping I'm doing something wrong. Just got the performer 8's. First time putting them in my ears.
Right side I can feel bass pressure even at lower volumes.
Left side, absolutely dead and almost no bass at all.
I was worried I have a weird ear shape and tried every different tip they came with and made extra sure it sealed and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I get a dud of a unit? Will be very bummed if that's the case.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #174 of 578
Hoping I'm doing something wrong. Just got the performer 8's. First time putting them in my ears.
Right side I can feel bass pressure even at lower volumes.
Left side, absolutely dead and almost no bass at all.
I was worried I have a weird ear shape and tried every different tip they came with and made extra sure it sealed and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Or did I get a dud of a unit? Will be very bummed if that's the case.
Try other eartips from your other sets. None of the stock tips worked for me. Check your source afterwards as well and make sure it's plugged all the way in. Lastly, might have connected the cable in wrong phase (though unlikely). If you still experience the same, might be a lemon.

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #175 of 578
Try other eartips from your other sets. None of the stock tips worked for me. Check your source afterwards as well and make sure it's plugged all the way in. Lastly, might have connected the cable in wrong phase (though unlikely). If you still experience the same, might be a lemon.
It's plugged into my Qudelix 5k. I'll try my moondrop tips. They sound really bad too. Like they got blown out and returned. I should not have bought these through Amazon I think.

Update, tried moondrop tips and it still isn't changing how it sounds. Pretty sure I got a dud or a return.

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #176 of 578
It's plugged into my Qudelix 5k. I'll try my moondrop tips. They sound really bad too. Like they got blown out and returned. I should not have bought these through Amazon I think.

Update, tried moondrop tips and it still isn't changing how it sounds. Pretty sure I got a dud or a return.
I bought through amazon and mine is working fine. No guarantee to not get a lemon even when buying from amazon. It just very convenient to return with amazon.

Jun 30, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #177 of 578
I bought through amazon and mine is working fine. No guarantee to not get a lemon even when buying from amazon. It just very convenient to return with amazon.
Oh 100% I only bought it there so I would get it next day haha.
As soon as the refund hits my account I might as well order another set. Im willing to give it another shot. I definitely didnt get a good impression of how they sound this time.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #179 of 578
I find the P8’s to be very sensitive and easy to drive. So I was previously using mine with just an Apple Lightning dongle and was enjoying it. Then I for some reason decided to try them with my Topping NX4DSD. Definite improvement over the Apple dongle, but the NX4DSD has issues with channel imbalance at less than the 9 o’clock position on the knob so it’s not ideal.

This afternoon I decided to try them with my Qudelix 5K that I use wired with an iPhone, and it’s definitely also an improvement over the Apple dongle. I’d rather just leave an Apple dongle attached to the end of the P8 for the simplicity and ease, but I’m definitely hearing an improvement with the NX4DSD and 5K.

It seems worth the slightly extra hassle for the few percent better sound. Anyway, the point of my post is that they are efficient and only need about 5-6mV of power for my listening level. -45 ish on the Qudelix 5K just on the 3.5mm jack. So I’ll probably keep using them with the 5K.

If the both sources are properly engineered and volume matched there cannot be a sound difference. Same thing applies to cables as well. The problem is that a lot of the sources are crappy engineered. High output impedance, high THD, channel imbalance, channel separation, reverse polarity and so on. Volume matching is the most important aspect when you compare sources, even a small difference in the volume level will be noticable as a sound difference. Don't get me wrong, I hear also differences between sources and cables, until I do a proper volume matching and connect everything to my FiiO output switcher where I can switch between sources/cables almost instantly and then all the differences disappear. The switching between sources/cables must be very fast, because our sound memory is very short.
There can be a real difference of course if one of them or both are crappy. I use to have Audio-gd NFB-15 amp/dac and it was sounding really bad, also in direct comparison with other sources. I've sold it and later after seeing measurements and disassembly of other Audio-gd products realized that they are making one of the crappiest amps/dacs.

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #180 of 578
If the both sources are properly engineered and volume matched there cannot be a sound difference. Same thing applies to cables as well. The problem is that a lot of the sources are crappy engineered. High output impedance, high THD, channel imbalance, channel separation, reverse polarity and so on. Volume matching is the most important aspect when you compare sources, even a small difference in the volume level will be noticable as a sound difference. Don't get me wrong, I hear also differences between sources and cables, until I do a proper volume matching and connect everything to my FiiO output switcher where I can switch between sources/cables almost instantly and then all the differences disappear. The switching between sources/cables must be very fast, because our sound memory is very short.
There can be a real difference of course if one of them or both are crappy. I use to have Audio-gd NFB-15 amp/dac and it was sounding really bad, also in direct comparison with other sources. I've sold it and later after seeing measurements and disassembly of other Audio-gd products realized that they are making one of the crappiest amps/dacs.
I used to swap gear around like a headless chicken and get obsessive about volume matching when A/B for tests.

Not anymore. I’m looking for the “stable response” over a decent time period nowadays. If stuffs are different enough to be on two different tiers, the difference would be very apparent. Rapid A/B is only used for very small, often non-consequential differences. The last time I had to use that rapid A/B tests were the cables from plussound. Too small of a difference to be “worth it”.

Adding a good portable amp to the signal path does not need that degree of A/B to hear the difference, IMHO.

Edit: to overcome the “louder is better” issue, I tend to redo tests with louder volume on the weaker chain. Sometimes the gap disappears. Most of the time, no matter how loud I try, less resolving remains less resolving. Similar situation with staging and imaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back