Aful Performer Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #91 of 550
image.jpg

Gotta chase that diminishing return with big amp :dt880smile:

After plenty A/B tests, I can say with confidence that these IEMs are as resolving, nuanced, with as accurate imaging as my U12t, beating everything else I have on those aspects. The soundstage is not as vast as U12t when listening to large orchestral music, so there is space for improvement. The bass quality is high-end. It’s fast, bouncy, detailed, and can slam when the music calls for. I wishes for a bit more quantity of that good bass, though.

graph-28.png

Tonality wise, this is not a Harman-inspired IEM that is thin and sharp to intensify the impression of resolution. It is tuned closed to U12t with MX M15 module. The treble quantity is closer to Tia Fourte and MEST II. The first time I put these P8 in my ears after days of listening solely to Meteor, my impression was "ouch, these have treble". The midrange is brought forward, which is good for most vocal music, but does reduce the illusion of space with orchestral music. This is the key difference comparing to my U12t. The edginess of upper midrange is minimised thanks to minimal ear-gain at only 8dB.

Soundstage is an interesting aspect of these IEM. I find the soundstage to be able to expand far into the surrounding environment, thanks to the treble extension. It means that when I listen to an orchestral soundtrack, the elements that are supposed to be in the background would sound like they come from further away, in the background, with a clear contrast to the bulk of the actions happening at the centre of the stage. This illusion gives soundstage uncanny sense of 3D and depth that only a few IEM with high-end treble performance can do. However, most of the soundstage is tightly focused around the centre, likely due to the tuning that pushes the 800Hz to 2kHz forward. Therefore, when I listen to a large orchestral piece, I find the orchestra to be more tightly packed around the centre of the stage rather than being distributed across the soundstage like, say, how U12T or Andromeda 2020 handle the staging. From this angle, I can totally understand the complaints about the lack of depth of P8.

Imaging accuracy, however, is outstanding. Left-right, front-back, higher-lower, everything is done very. It works like a radar in FPS game like CSGO. For example, the sound does not simply comes from the left. I can easily distinguish left-front and left-back. When teammate runs around the back, I can track them as they run from right-back to left-back to left, to front.

In summary, if you judge an IEM first and foremost by its “technical performance” like me, this IEM breaks the value scale.
Thanks for the impressions. Which tips are you using and have you tried the P5 red and blue tips with P8? I think P8 sounds best with them. I'm listening to them all the time since I've got them, don't even have time for a proper comparison with the P5 yet.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #92 of 550
Thanks for the impressions. Which tips are you using and have you tried the P5 red and blue tips with P8? I think P8 sounds best with them. I'm listening to them all the time since I've got them, don't even have time for a proper comparison with the P5 yet.
I don’t like the stock tips at all. I use spinfit W1 and xelastec.

Jun 11, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #93 of 550
Looks like the P8 hype is the real deal
Yea, I think they are going to blow up big time once more people get their hands on them. They are very good.

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #94 of 550
image.jpg

Gotta chase that diminishing return with big amp :dt880smile:

After plenty A/B tests, I can say with confidence that these IEMs are as resolving, nuanced, with as accurate imaging as my U12t, beating everything else I have on those aspects. The soundstage is not as vast as U12t when listening to large orchestral music, so there is space for improvement. The bass quality is high-end. It’s fast, bouncy, detailed, and can slam when the music calls for. I wishes for a bit more quantity of that good bass, though.

graph-28.png

Tonality wise, this is not a Harman-inspired IEM that is thin and sharp to intensify the impression of resolution. It is tuned closed to U12t with MX M15 module. The treble quantity is closer to Tia Fourte and MEST II. The first time I put these P8 in my ears after days of listening solely to Meteor, my impression was "ouch, these have treble". The midrange is brought forward, which is good for most vocal music, but does reduce the illusion of space with orchestral music. This is the key difference comparing to my U12t. The edginess of upper midrange is minimised thanks to minimal ear-gain at only 8dB.

Soundstage is an interesting aspect of these IEM. I find the soundstage to be able to expand far into the surrounding environment, thanks to the treble extension. It means that when I listen to an orchestral soundtrack, the elements that are supposed to be in the background would sound like they come from further away, in the background, with a clear contrast to the bulk of the actions happening at the centre of the stage. This illusion gives soundstage uncanny sense of 3D and depth that only a few IEM with high-end treble performance can do. However, most of the soundstage is tightly focused around the centre, likely due to the tuning that pushes the 800Hz to 2kHz forward. Therefore, when I listen to a large orchestral piece, I find the orchestra to be more tightly packed around the centre of the stage rather than being distributed across the soundstage like, say, how U12T or Andromeda 2020 handle the staging. From this angle, I can totally understand the complaints about the lack of depth of P8.

Imaging accuracy, however, is outstanding. Left-right, front-back, higher-lower, everything is done very. It works like a radar in FPS game like CSGO. For example, the sound does not simply comes from the left. I can easily distinguish left-front and left-back. When teammate runs around the back, I can track them as they run from right-back to left-back to left, to front.

In summary, if you judge an IEM first and foremost by its “technical performance” like me, this IEM breaks the value scale.
Do you have a balanced cable for it or are you just using the stock?

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #95 of 550
Do you have a balanced cable for it or are you just using the stock?
Stock cable only so far. I hope to draw a bit more out of these from my M6 Ultra with a 4.4 cable.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #96 of 550
I don’t like the stock tips at all. I use spinfit W1 and xelastec.
Since I got my P8’s last Tuesday I had been using the stock tips that came installed on them and they have been fine. I just stuck a pair of W1’s on though. I can’t say I noticed an immediate difference but I’ll try them for a bit.

What do you not like about the stock tips?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #97 of 550
Since I got my P8’s last Tuesday I had been using the stock tips that came installed on them and they have been fine. I just stuck a pair of W1’s on though. I can’t say I noticed an immediate difference but I’ll try them for a bit.

What do you not like about the stock tips?
The stock tips just don’t seal very well for me. Nowadays, whenever I see tips with hard and non sticky silicone caps, I’ll pass. At the moment, I use my spare xelastec with the P8.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #98 of 550
The stock tips just don’t seal very well for me. Nowadays, whenever I see tips with hard and non sticky silicone caps, I’ll pass. At the moment, I use my spare xelastec with the P8.
Gotcha. The stock ones that they come installed with fit me fine and seal fine. I find Xelastec to be too sticky. The SpinFit W1’s are a good level of tackiness though. The W1’s are sounding good, and they may be a bit more comfortable, probably because of how they swivel.

Jun 11, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #99 of 550
89C38276-932D-421B-AEA0-EA647C3F22B1.jpeg

Swapped the cable to a interchangeable plug cable from XINHS. I have a vague impression that I lose a bit of resolution. However, these tiny devices like btr5 generally have better performance over balanced output. I hear noticeable better dynamic contrast and jumps, which makes the soundstage feels larger. So i would say net effect is positive.

My impressions for reviews are based on Shanling M6U into a Topping G5, which is single ended only and freaking powerful, so the cable does not matter. The balance cable helps bringing the dynamic of P8 with btr5 closer to the G5 setup. I’m happy to listen to this setup on the go. TOTL sound without TOTL price.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #101 of 550
I am confused by what you wrote. G5 has a 4.4mm balanced output.
G5 is single ended by design. The 4.4 is just for convenience. When you swap between 3.5 and 4.4, there is no difference. Another telltale sign is that it accepts only single ended input for the amp stage.

Jun 12, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #102 of 550
G5 is single ended by design. The 4.4 is just for convenience. When you swap between 3.5 and 4.4, there is no difference. Another telltale sign is that it accepts only single ended input for the amp stage.
Ah, thanks, that makes sense!

P.S. I really enjoy my G5. It is just a bit big so when Bluetooth is called for I usually go with my BTR7, and now my iFi Go Pod. But, when gobs of portable power are called for, G5 it is!

Jun 12, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #103 of 550
Finally, got some time to compare P8 and P5 properly. P5 was my favorite IEM of them all, until I've got the P8.
Both tested with the stock Red/Blue P5 mediums. Comfort/Packaging/Design are the same.

PXL_20230612_115003600.jpg

P8
- Bass tighter, faster, definitely more detailed
- Great bass with the stock P5 tips. Quantity is almost perfect, missing just a tiny bit mid bass and sub bass rumble for my taste (I’m really nitpicking here)
- better, more detailed and sparklier highs
- better mids, cleaner
- more details, separation, less congested in busy songs
- better instrument/sounds timber, even better distorted guitars rendering
- better positioning, 3D
- more efficient

P5
- A bit more bass, rumble (very addictive, capable of rattling my scull, subwoofer like), slam and impact, but less details and more boomy in comparison to P8. Sometimes a tad too much.
- a tiny bit less bright and a bit more forgiving
- Better cable, tips, cheaper

P8 is the best IEM I've heard till date, missing just a bit of sub bass rumble compared to the P5, everything else is just amazing. The differences between the two are small, but noticeable (although sometimes I’ve had to check which one is in my ears) and I love them both. The P5 bass is just so much fun. It's like a subwoofer and on old recordings which are bass light, makes them fuller, more fun sounding. I’ll probably use the P5 more outside and at the gym and the P8 at home/work, enjoying music. If they bring P8 Ultra with 2-3db sub bass boost, I'll buy it in an instant and will stop looking at IEM's for a very long time.

...Listening the Bohemian Rhapsody at the moment is just… never sounded so good…so much details, at the same time sound is full and organic...vocals are sublime. Just awesome…

….
Tested the P8 with 20Ω impedance adapter and it’s just too much. The bass is overpowering everything and vocals gets too recessed.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #104 of 550
Finally, got some time to compare P8 and P5 properly. P5 was my favorite IEM of them all, until I've got the P8.
Both tested with the stock Red/Blue P5 mediums. Comfort/Packaging/Design are the same.

P8
- Bass tighter, faster, definitely more detailed
- Great bass with the stock P5 tips. Quantity is almost perfect, missing just a tiny bit mid bass and sub bass rumble for my taste (I’m really nitpicking here)
- better, more detailed and sparklier highs
- better mids, cleaner
- more details, separation, less congested in busy songs
- better instrument/sounds timber, even better distorted guitars rendering
- better positioning, 3D
- more efficient

P5
- A bit more bass, rumble (very addictive, capable of rattling my scull, subwoofer like), slam and impact, but less details and more boomy in comparison to P8. Sometimes a tad too much.
- a tiny bit less bright and a bit more forgiving
- Better cable, tips, cheaper

P8 is the best IEM I've heard till date, missing just a bit of sub bass rumble compared to the P5, everything else is just amazing. The differences between the two are small, but noticeable (although sometimes I’ve had to check which one is in my ears) and I love them both. The P5 bass is just so much fun. It's like a subwoofer and on old recordings which are bass light, makes them fuller, more fun sounding. I’ll probably use the P5 more outside and at the gym and the P8 at home/work, enjoying music. If they bring P8 Ultra with 2-3db sub bass boost, I'll buy it in an instant and will stop looking at IEM's for a very long time.

...Listening the Bohemian Rhapsody at the moment is just… never sounded so good…so much details, at the same time sound is full and organic...vocals are sublime. Just awesome…

….
Tested the P8 with 20Ω impedance adapter and it’s just too much. The bass is overpowering everything and vocals gets too recessed.

So what tips are you referring to? What’s the difference between the P5 tips you’re talking about and the P8 tips?

Jun 12, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #105 of 550
Enfin, j'ai eu le temps de comparer correctement P8 et P5. Le P5 était mon IEM préféré de tous, jusqu'à ce que j'aie le P8.
Les deux ont été testés avec les médiums P5 rouge/bleu d'origine. Confort/Emballage/Design sont les mêmes.

P8
- Basses plus serrées, plus rapides, nettement plus détaillées
- Excellentes basses avec les embouts P5 d'origine. La quantité est presque parfaite, il manque juste un tout petit peu de grondement des basses moyennes et des sous-basses à mon goût (je suis vraiment pinailleur ici)
- des aigus meilleurs, plus détaillés et plus brillants
- meilleurs médiums, plus propres
- plus de détails, de séparation, moins encombré de chansons chargées
- meilleur bois instrument/sons, encore meilleur rendu des guitares distordues
- meilleur positionnement, 3D
- plus efficace

P5
- Un peu plus de basses, de grondement (très addictif, capable de secouer mon crâne, comme un subwoofer), de claquement et d'impact, mais moins de détails et plus de boom par rapport au P8. Parfois un peu trop.
- un tout petit peu moins brillant et un peu plus indulgent
- Meilleur câble, astuces, moins cher

Le P8 est le meilleur IEM que j'ai entendu jusqu'à présent, il manque juste un peu de grondement de sous-basse par rapport au P5, tout le reste est tout simplement incroyable. Les différences entre les deux sont petites, mais perceptibles (même si parfois j'ai dû vérifier laquelle est dans mes oreilles) et je les aime toutes les deux. La basse P5 est tellement amusante. C'est comme un subwoofer et sur les anciens enregistrements qui sont des basses légères, les rend plus pleins et plus amusants. J'utiliserai probablement le P5 plus à l'extérieur et au gymnase et le P8 à la maison/au travail, en écoutant de la musique. S'ils apportent un P8 Ultra avec une amplification des sous-graves de 2 à 3 dB, je l'achèterai en un instant et j'arrêterai de regarder les IEM pendant très longtemps.

... Écouter Bohemian Rhapsody en ce moment, c'est juste… jamais sonné aussi bien… tant de détails, en même temps le son est plein et organique… les voix sont sublimes. Tout simplement génial…

….
Testé le P8 avec adaptateur d'impédance 20Ω et c'est juste trop. Les basses dominent tout et les voix sont trop en retrait.
Bonjour

Je viens de France et je viens de recevoir le Performer 8 aujourd'hui via Hifigo et Fedex.
Après environ 6 heures d'utilisation, je ne peux qu'être d'accord avec ce qui a été dit ici.
Je les utilise avec Sony NW-WM1AM2 et le câble Eros de chez Effect Audio
(Très bonne combinaison et je n'ai pas encore essayé le câble d'origine) et pour les astuces ; J'ai essayé avec l'Acoustune 07 et le SpinFit W1, tout ça et le son est excellent.
Quelques musiques utilisées > Mylène Farmer > State Azure > Tangerine dream > Myrkur > Diana Krall > Lana del Rey > Maria Mena...
Oui, ces intras sont excellents et pourtant j'utilise aussi Sony IER-M9 - Sennheiser IE900 - ThieAudio Oracle MKII et Shanling ME 8oo
Je dois encore essayer Shanling M9 et Sony TA-ZH1ES

Users who are viewing this thread

Back