After Hendrix who is rock's most iconic guitarist?
Aug 9, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #16 of 87
Honestly, post Hendrix, I can't think of anyone I would call iconic - many great ones but not iconic. If I had to pick from the list one I like, the vote would go to David Gilmour.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 87
Chuck Berry. Repeat. Chuck Berry. Sad that he has not been mentioned. And he should probably be number one. I can't disagree with the choice of Jimi. But without Chuck Berry none of these guys, including Hendrix, may have ever mattered.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
--John Lennon

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #19 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hendrix was the greatest of his generation. EVH was the greatest of the next generation. Where the heck are Santana and Stevie Ray?

Santana was like my 11th choice......

Stevie Ray.........to me, and there could be an argument here, is a blues guitarist......hes not in the rock category (to me) anymore than Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker is

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 87
I'll add a vote for Mark Knopfler, after having seen him live last year play telegraph road. Awesome

Aug 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 87
I think some might be confusing talent with overall influence. I'm assuming you mean impact on guitar players, directions of guitar, etc. after Hendricks. I think Van Halen clearly paved the way for future guitarists.

Page was an influence but didn't offer much beyond what Hendricks did. Van Halen made a whole new style popular (tapping, making the most of newer processing) and introducing some classical riffs, etc.

Granted Randy Rhoads was doing much more amazing stuff at the same time as Van Halen came out but didn't reach a large enough audience to have the same influence (that might have been different if he would have lived longer).

Gilmore has amazing technique, but also didn't reach the mainstream to have the influence on the same level.

I think Vai has had the most impact most recently, but I don't know if you can even consider what he does as rock anymore. More like Vai-ism.

Clapton would also be a very logical pick, but if SRV is blues, then I'd have to say Clapton would fall in the same category.

Aug 9, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #24 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stevie Ray.........to me, and there could be an argument here, is a blues guitarist......hes not in the rock category (to me) anymore than Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker is

So you think Stevie Ray Vaughan is not more rocky than Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker? Is Let's dance blues?

Do you also think Eric Clapton is less a blues guitarist than SVR? They toured together.
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #25 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you think Stevie Ray Vaughan is not more rocky than Muddy Waters or John Lee Hooker? Is Let's dance blues?

Stevie Ray is not more rocky to me than Muddy Waters......he was embraced by the classic rock radio arena because of the time and period he came out, the fact that he was white he was automatically pigeonholed in rock as opposed to blues (though I hate saying that), and the fact that he played heavier than the older blues guys.....but in terms of his approach I see him solely as a blues guitarist......I don't care that he jammed with Bowie on Let's Dance, that's studio work........it's not an implication of what genre his art was.....I don't see SRV as a Rock ICON.

Quote:

Do you also think Eric Clapton is less a blues guitarest than SVR? They toured together.
smile.gif

Clapton can play the blues, but he's first and foremost a rock guitarist whose foundation is the blues.........Clapton pioneered rock with Cream, which despite being into the blues were not a blues band....White Room, Badge, Tales Of Brave Ulysses are not blues songs whatsoever.....if Clapton remained a Blues Breaker all his life I'd say he was a blues guitarist.....but I don't see how Layla or Wonderful Tonight or Tears In Heaven are blues songs.....that's some of his signature work.....Even though they toured together, one guitarist was clearly more a blues guitarist than the other.

Aug 10, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #26 of 87
Eric Clapton was the blues/rock trailblazer of this group, but he seems to have fought being an iconic rock guitarist through most of his career. IMHO Jeff Beck is technically the most gifted guitarist of the group. I can listen to David Gilmour solos forever without tiring of his emotionally powerful melodies. I voted for Jimmy Page because when I think rock guitarist he fits the bill in both the musicianship and lifestyle categories. He is the iconic rock guitarist.

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevie Ray is not more rocky to me than Muddy Waters......he was embraced by the classic rock radio arena because of the time and period he came out, the fact that he was white he was automatically pigeonholed in rock as opposed to blues (though I hate saying that), and the fact that he played heavier than the older blues guys.....but in terms of his approach I see him solely as a blues guitarist......I don't care that he jammed with Bowie on Let's Dance, that's studio work........it's not an implication of what genre his art was.....I don't see SRV as a Rock ICON.

Clapton can play the blues, but he's first and foremost a rock guitarist whose foundation is the blues.........Clapton pioneered rock with Cream, which despite being into the blues were not a blues band....White Room, Badge, Tales Of Brave Ulysses are not blues songs whatsoever.....if Clapton remained a Blues Breaker all his life I'd say he was a blues guitarist.....but I don't see how Layla or Wonderful Tonight or Tears In Heaven are blues songs.....that's some of his signature work.....Even though they toured together, one guitarist was clearly more a blues guitarist than the other.

Do you really need to put such a dividing line between blues and rock? Jimmi Hendrix himself once said he couldn't believe the way Clapton played the blues (that was when Clapton was in Cream). Which category do you put Rolling Stones in? Rock I should imagine. They played blues in the beginning of their career in London.
I don't think Stevie Ray Vaughn was ever "automatically pigeonholed in rock
" but is now pigenholed by you as a non rock guitarist. I don't see how Voodoo chile; Little Wing; Superstition not be classified as rock as much as Layla or Wonderful Tonight and Tears in Heaven. Clapton plays a lot of blues. The fact is, they both play blues as well as rock. It is up to you to decide whether SRV is a rock icon or not but he did play rock music. Let's put it that way, I think he play more rock music than Muddy Waters.
Again, where do you put people like Johnny Winter and Peter Green? They both play blues and rock and It would be wrong to solely put them in one or the other genre.

Aug 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting poll. I immediately thought we'll need a poll on the rock god guitarist BEFORE Hendrix.
evil_smiley.gif

I decided to pick one from your list I feel is unquestionably after Hendrix. So I picked Angus.

Easy answer.

Buddy Holly.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #29 of 87
Quote:

Do you really need to put such a dividing line between blues and rock? Jimmi Hendrix himself once said he couldn't believe the way Clapton played the blues (that was when Clapton was in Cream). Which category do you put Rolling Stones in? Rock I should imagine. They played blues in the beginning of their career in London.
I don't think Stevie Ray Vaughn was ever "automatically pigeonholed in rock
" but is now pigenholed by you as a non rock guitarest. I don't see how Voodoo chile; Little Wing; Superstition not be classified as rock as much as Layla or Wonderful Tonight and Tears in Heaven. Clapton plays a lot of blues. The fact is, they both play blues as well as rock. It is up to you to decide whether SRV is a rock icon or not but he did play rock music. Let's put it that way, I think he play more rock music than Muddy Waters.
Again, where do you put people like Johnny Winter and Peter Green? They both play blues and rock and It would be wrong to solely put them in one or the other genre.

That's all fair statements you made...... I could never see any speech being given about SRV starting with..... "and this one goes out to one of the Rock Guitar Gods, Mr. Stevie Ray Vaughan" whereas........... I could totally see "and this one goes out to the king of Rock guitar....Mr Eric Clapton" its just where their essence lies, despite them both being incredible blues musicians........

Clapton stepped way further out of the blues than SRV did, I prefer SRV much more as a guitarist tho

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #30 of 87
Well, David - you are starting to convince me.

Also known as SRV
Born October 3, 1954(1954-10-03)
Dallas, Texas, United States
Died August 27, 1990 (aged 35)
East Troy, Wisconsin
Genre(s) Electric blues, blues-rock, Texas blues, Jazz

Birth name Eric Patrick Clapton
Also known as Slowhand
Born 30 March 1945 (1945-03-30) (age 64)
Ripley, Surrey, England
Genre(s) Rock, blues, blues-rock, hard rock, psychedelic rock, reggae

Users who are viewing this thread

Back