Affordable Cellular Phones
Aug 15, 2004 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, nothing's really unaffordable after head-fi
biggrin.gif

I've been looking to upgrade my crap Nokia 8210's for a long time, they suck at every aspect I can find except for their great interface and simplistic looks. The least clogged up I can find.

But they get real hot (like a pre-explosion warning) after long use, have terrible reception, automatically displaying "SIM card registration failed" twice every hour, terrible SQ and hiss when indoors. Damn, the list can go on. What good is a cell phone if it's a pain in the donkey to talk with?

I hope there's this cell phone that has the ever so usable Nokia GUI, slim and streamlined UI, small size, and rid of all the bad of this horrible phone.

Pitch in guys!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 9
funny... i didnt experience all those things with my old 8210...
i was using 8210 before i got 7210.
its pretty ok phone...

the problem with more features on the phone is, it will slow your phone down... and its so annoying... i tried my friend's SONY T610, and didnt like it one bit. too slow, small buttons...etc..

if you want good connection, i have to suggest panasonic. but if you want the most user friendly phone, i think its hard to beat nokia.

but if i were you, i would get something like Nokia 6610. i think its pretty cheap right now... and no cameras and gimmicks like that, so hopefuly it wont be so slow...

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 9
So do the 6610 or 7210 have excellent connection and reception?

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Im using 7210... the connection is alright for me, but not excellent.
the buttons are a bit annoying at first (weird placement), but after awhile you will get used to it.
i'd get 6610 has better button placement, i think the only thing good about 7210 is the looks.

my girlfriend is using Panasonic GD88, now thats what i call excellent reception. i think the newer one, X70 is even better...

Aug 15, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 9
The 7210 has very good to excellent reception. Reception quality also depends on your service provider. I used to own it and liked its simplicity and great looks. I now have the Panasonic X70, reception is indeed better than the 7210 but not that much better. I still think the 7210 is one of the best non-flip phones out there.

Aug 16, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lojay
So do the 6610 or 7210 have excellent connection and reception?

The 6610 has very good reception but voice quality isn't particularly great. It has a bit of hiss and is a bit tinny sounding, but is usable. I really liked mine when I was using it. Very small phone with a good UI.

Aug 16, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, gotta change my wording, as reception does seem to do a bit more with the service provider. The main issue with my current 8210 is, after only one and a half years of use *(clarification, its a used phone, but not used for more than 2 years, so the life of the phone should be 4 years tops), I've been often coping with the SIM card registration failures and times where the phone just "freezes". Sometimes the screen fades out and seems to die on me. I've got it repaired 5 times through out this year, each due to the corroision of an internal component or something. Makes me wonder why Nokia made its fame if its parts gets screwed so quickly.

Maybe all I need is a sturdy phone that won't die on me often. And reception is important equally as I wouldn't want to say "Hello, hello?" all the time anymore.

Wonder how much the 7210 and 6610 cost, I'll check it right now..

Aug 16, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't know what carrier you are going with, but if it is Verizon, it is much cheaper to get the phone at a local Radio Shack than direct from V.

edit:
Guess that won't help you; but maybe someone else. I never even thought to check the location.

Aug 16, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 9
He's talking about a GSM phone. RadioShack (or even Verizon Wireless) wouldn't be too local for him if he's in Hong Kong like his profile says
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back