Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2,086 of 2,544
The shaft is perfect for the knob spec’d in the BOM. I’d prefer not to file it down if I don’t need to.

Totally understandable. I never bothered buying the knob in the BOM, so I filed like I was breaking out of prison.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2,087 of 2,544
The shaft is perfect for the knob spec’d in the BOM. I’d prefer not to file it down if I don’t need to.

If you can't mod the knob, you could also cut off a section of the pot shaft with a Dremel and a cutting wheel, might save you some blisters :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #2,088 of 2,544
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #2,089 of 2,544
Ha! Yeah.. I think I’d opt for spending another $20 instead. 😉

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #2,090 of 2,544
If you can't mod the knob, you could also cut off a section of the pot shaft with a Dremel and a cutting wheel, might save you some blisters :wink:

Yeah, but this built character.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #2,091 of 2,544
I have seen a lot of resin wood guitar knob - they looks cute but are too small (for me) to be used as volume knob ... Haven't found anyone locally to do custom resin wood knob either.

Now if Zach was to offer stabilized wood knobs for the (commercial) Aegis and the Homage ... I'll be paying megabucks to have one matching my stabilized Caldera xD

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,092 of 2,544
I've just rolledw in Tung-Sol made RCA 6550 tubes and, boy, are they awesome!

I've ended up putting a longer post on the Tungesten thread in reply to those headphones, but the impressiosn may be worth sharing, so cross-posting

original post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...-and-discussion.968835/page-165#post-18021096

well, I've just rolled some new output tubes on my DIY Aegies, replacing my beloved EL37 with Tung-Sol made RCA 6550 (this amp is particularly great for tube rolling, and most responsive in sound signature to the choice of output tubes).

Listening now with the Tungsten (ds; ultra perf pads). These tubes defintely extracst a much deeper and tighter bass (not surprsiing, as they were the US version of the European KT88 and of similar DNA).

The bass is awesome! Now, for those that look for "bassy headphones", I found that means that they often love headphones that are tuned with a real bass shelf. The Tungsten isn't, it's tuned naturally without any artifical coloration of FR tilt. But, when bunch is called for, it's just awesome - natural, not exaggerated, right quanity and well textured.

I just put on the track "OK" by Kirk Franklin, a gospel song with some real earth-shattering sub-bass and mid banss (an awesome testing track btw, and so much fun regardless:wink:). The Tungsten capture the sub-bass rumbel (e.g. min 1:03 to 1:20); doesn't physically shake you (for that, see Atrium Closed; or perhaps 1266 for those who can live with that device), but it renders is very well without exaggeration. And lower/mid bass is super physical, lush, and impactful. These headphones are just f$%^-ing awesome!
1710522575306.png

Also, they render bass with a very satisfyting attack with sufficeint decay to make the notes both impactful and organic sounding. I've now switched to this jazz/classic fusion piece by Jacques Loussier that has tons of hard-hirring fast drums, as well as highly percussive piano. I'm just having a blast!

1710523064401.png

Now, as for ease of amplification...

With the new release of the commrecial version of the Aegis this past weekend for $3.2k release price if I recall (will be $3.5k later I think) -- there is now a very accessible TC tube-amp option that is mid-priced (realizing this will be too expensive for many, so using this adjective in relation to a very wide spectrum of amps).

The Aegis has a very (very) broad selection of tubes rolls that allow for very signifciant tuning to taste. At this moment, the 6550 are proving to be a bass-lover delight, while retaining great reoslution and clarity.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,093 of 2,544

I've ended up putting a longer post on the Tungesten thread in reply to those headphones, but the impressiosn may be worth sharing, so cross-posting

original post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...-and-discussion.968835/page-165#post-18021096

well, I've just rolled some new output tubes on my DIY Aegies, replacing my beloved EL37 with Tung-Sol made RCA 6550 (this amp is particularly great for tube rolling, and most responsive in sound signature to the choice of output tubes).

Listening now with the Tungsten (ds; ultra perf pads). These tubes defintely extracst a much deeper and tighter bass (not surprsiing, as they were the US version of the European KT88 and of similar DNA).

The bass is awesome! Now, for those that look for "bassy headphones", I found that means that they often love headphones that are tuned with a real bass shelf. The Tungsten isn't, it's tuned naturally without any artifical coloration of FR tilt. But, when bunch is called for, it's just awesome - natural, not exaggerated, right quanity and well textured.

I just put on the track "OK" by Kirk Franklin, a gospel song with some real earth-shattering sub-bass and mid banss (an awesome testing track btw, and so much fun regardless:wink:). The Tungsten capture the sub-bass rumbel (e.g. min 1:03 to 1:20); doesn't physically shake you (for that, see Atrium Closed; or perhaps 1266 for those who can live with that device), but it renders is very well without exaggeration. And lower/mid bass is super physical, lush, and impactful. These headphones are just f$%^-ing awesome!
1710522575306.png

Also, they render bass with a very satisfyting attack with sufficeint decay to make the notes both impactful and organic sounding. I've now switched to this jazz/classic fusion piece by Jacques Loussier that has tons of hard-hirring fast drums, as well as highly percussive piano. I'm just having a blast!

1710523064401.png

With the new release of the commrecial version of the Aegis this past weekend for $3.2k release price if I recall (will be $3.5k later I think) -- there is now a very accessible TC tube-amp option that is mid-priced (realizing this will be too expensive for many, so using this adjective in relation to a very wide spectrum of amps).

The Aegis has a very (very) broad selection of tubes rolls that allow for very signifciant tuning to taste. At this moment, the 6550 are proving to be a bass-lover delight, while retaining great reoslution and clarity.

Yeah, I've been keeping my eyes on Tung-Sol 6550 pairs on eBay. Is that where you picked yours up, or did you find a dealer with good quality stock?

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #2,094 of 2,544

1710522575306.png

1710523064401.png

Very nice, I wanted to try these for some time, bought a pair from eBay that seemed pristine but one arrived dead :frowning2: maybe I'll give them another shot some day.

I heard the Tungsten out of DIY Aegis (at your place) and ZMF Aegis (at CanJam). Very nice headphone, it may go on my wish list.

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,095 of 2,544
Yeah, I've been keeping my eyes on Tung-Sol 6550 pairs on eBay. Is that where you picked yours up, or did you find a dealer with good quality stock?

Very nice, I wanted to try these for some time, bought a pair from eBay that seemed pristine but one arrived dead :frowning2: maybe I'll give them another shot some day.

I heard the Tungsten out of DIY Aegis (at your place) and ZMF Aegis (at CanJam). Very nice headphone, it may go on my wish list.

I got it here in head-fi classified from someone who bought them new from a vendor for an amp that never materialized, so lucky purchase for me. But these are really so much more reasonably priced compared to KT88 (an understatement:wink:) and not too hard to source. So taking a risk is probably worth it.

And the Tungsten are really just such fun headphones, with one of the best value to price out there. Was awesome to have you join us 😊 and really glad you got to try them..

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,096 of 2,544

1710522575306.png

1710523064401.png

You're hurting my wallet! You were right about the Aegis + Tungsten... and the EL37... so now I feel compelled to search for some 6550.. damn it lol

Mar 15, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #2,097 of 2,544
I got it here in head-fi classified from someone who bought them new from a vendor for an amp that never materialized, so lucky purchase for me. But these are really so much more reasonably priced compared to KT88 (an understatement:wink:) and not too hard to source. So taking a risk is probably worth it.

And the Tungsten are really just such fun headphones, with one of the best value to price out there. Was awesome to have you join us 😊 and really glad you got to try them..
I think I could be tempted by the Tung-Sol made RCA 6550. I have one backup for my GEC KT88... love them but use them a bit sparingly compared to the others. The £££s for a NOS pair is not something I want to revisit too often! A similar sounding and more realistically priced alternative would be good!

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #2,098 of 2,544
You're hurting my wallet! You were right about the Aegis + Tungsten... and the EL37... so now I feel compelled to search for some 6550.. damn it lol

I’ve only had like an hour with them, so caveat emptor and all..:wink:

But they do feel like a great and differentiated flavor. I’m certain the EL37 will remain for many moods and genres, but I think this may be the 6550 may end up being first pair that will go into active alternating rolling duty when looking for that lush bass. I do like that the dynamics aren’t resulting in any immediately observable trade off in the mids like I experienced with the EL38 (still another pair to demo there).

So ethereal, refined, expansive soundstage (EL37) vs. tight deep bass, dynamics, and more center focused (6550) is my initial impression.

To be evolved… 😊

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #2,099 of 2,544
I think I could be tempted by the Tung-Sol made RCA 6550. I have one backup for my GEC KT88... love them but use them a bit sparingly compared to the others. The £££s for a NOS pair is not something I want to revisit too often! A similar sounding and more realistically priced alternative would be good!

Yea, having check those prices I decided they simply went beyond my red line (which I’ve been known to stretch unreasonable before, but not here with this alternative)

Would be super curious how you find those would compare. Probably the only who could tell us…. no pressure… 🤣

Mar 15, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2,100 of 2,544
Yea, having check those prices I decided they simply went beyond my red line (which I’ve been known to stretch unreasonable before, but not here with this alternative)

Would be super curious how you find those would compare. Probably the only who could tell us…. no pressure… 🤣
Well, it has been a few month since my last acquisition 😂 I'll take a look around, I'm sure there was a dealer in the UK selling NOS pairs! I'm sorted as far as rectifiers & input tubes go so that just leaves power tubes 🤔🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back