AE C3 or fidelity duels - Which of thses are these for me?
Aug 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
First of all, i'd like to apologize for all these long winded threads i've made in the last few days. It seems, that changing the entire subject of the thread 3 pages in, isn't to useful. I wanted to thank those of you who have helped me so far.

I realized, that as i've been narrowing down the list of IEMs, i forgot to put into consideration whether they were the right fit for me! So, after narrowing down this selection, these are the two that are at the high end of my budget, and the low end, ear impression cost more or less included.

Basically: I'm looking at the C3, and i'm pretty confused. I've read about 45 pages, in patches of the "Hearyourself.com custom iem thread", and i'm getting plenty of mixed messages.

At points in the thread, people compare C3s to high-ends like UE11 customs, and other high end customs, and conclude that the C3 is on a level playing field.

At other points, and most of what i've read, most peoples opinions are along the lines of these points:
- bass is crisp, accurate, more than super.fi 5s pros, but more refined (some find it excessive)
- Mids are super aggressive and pronounced (most say it as a bad thing)
- Highs are severely lacking. Someone described them as almost rolling of highs! this is a concern!

My impression of these opinions are that this is not for me.
But all the other opinions and comparisons to $1000+ headphones really attracts me.

Question 1. If i could have C3 owners please comment on which view you have with your c3s? All these mixed messages, i'm not what to think!

I haven't read through nearly enough of the Livewire thread (248 pages) to get this much detail, but im working on it (don't know where to start
confused_face_2.gif
!)

I've narrowed my search down to the C3, or fidelity duels.

I'm going to try and describe my preferences in earphones so far:
  1. Bass - I can be picky about bass. I love lots of bass, but i don't like splotchy overwhelming bass. ie, i like bass, but not at the expense of the quality of music. my worst nightmare: v-moda bass freq + no EQ, and no burn in (This is if IRRC, as i haven't actually used bass freqs in ages).
  2. Detail & Clarity - Bass included, i love clear and detailed sound. Since i made the jump from buds to IEM a couple years ago, i have become accustomed to clear and accurate sound, with a slight leniency to bass crisp bass, and accurate representation of whatever music i'm listening to.
  3. Highs - I have sensitive ears, so overly bright and overwhelming highs really set my ears hurting. However, i find that for detail, highs are important. this is why i'm concerned about the C3 I just don't like overly bright headphones like my (dads) ety er6i, which have overly bright highs, and a sever lack in bass.

summary:
    + reallly bright highs
    0 neurtral
    - overpowering low end
    +---------------------0---me---------------+

I listen to a large variety of types of music, from light music like jack johnson and john mayer, to electronic music like pheonix, to rock/alternative like MuteMath, Deathcab for cutie, rage agains the machine, linkin park, and on.

The IEM's i've owned/tried:
Ety Er6i- I found these too bright, and missing bass
Shure e5c- Balanced, but to my ears a tad too little bass.
UE super.fi 5 pro- favorite so far, decent accuracy, kicking bass, only negative is godaweful fit, and is not the clearest sounding (comparing to e5c), but i like the bass presence.
Apple In ears (new version)- well balanced, surprisingly clean sound.

Final Questions:So, what i'm asking (preferably from owners), is which of these two are a fit for my preferences? And for C3 owners, are your impressions of your phones around what i've gathered from the site?

Again, sorry for yet another thread. Don't mean to come off a nuisance.
I hope ive given enough details for those of you who own one or both of these to help me decide which of the two are for me. Help, of course is MUCH appreciated!

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 3
yes it will...

i listen to indie, rock and trance, with metal and jazz and lounge thrown in the mix..

although i've sent the c3s for a refit, they've sounded better than good! and reports of rolled of highs were exaggerated in my humble opinion. i found them better than my grados and thats saying something..

as for the bass. if you agree with me that um3x is bloated and muddy, then you will trust me when i say the C3s have very decent amount of bass at no expense of the sound quality.

all you have to worry about now is customer service.. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back