Advice: UM Merlin vs. JH16
Sep 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,
Has anyone heard both the UM Merlin and the JH16 full custom (not demo units). There's been some problems with the UM demo units that's currently being looked into, so I don't put much weight into the demo units and was wanting to know if anyone can really tell me the strengths and weaknesses of both Customs.

I currently own the Miracles, and have the Merlin's on the way, but I'm thinking about buying some JH16's also as the Miracles fill almost all of my musical needs, but I want another set for the time when I just want a little more bass. This is where I have the choice between the JH16's an the Merlin's. Anyone able to shed some light on the subject?

Cheers all.

Aaron

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 19
From what I have heard with a full custom Miracle (and not mine, so I may not be hearing things right), the JH16 is much brighter than the Miracle/Merlin which share the mid/treble presentation.  And deducing from my experience + what I have read is the Merlin and JH16 bass will be similar in quantity but different as the JH16 will have tighter and punchier bass vs. the Merlin's more reverberant bass.

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 19
Cheers for that Joe, I appreciate the input :)
Just to clarify so I'm reading it correctly, from your experience/understanding the JH16's have a brighter presentation of the mid/trebles presentation and the will have the same bass quantity as the Merlin, but will be tighter and punchier.

This is interesting as I quite like the presentation of the Miracle and am only looking for something to listen to when I'm in the mood for a little more bass impact as I find the Miracle to be very analytical. It doesn't really favour anything (to my ears) and this is perfect for 60% of what I listen to.

But if the JH16's are a very different beast to the Miracle in the presentation of treble/mids (I've heard from one person even fatiguing after long usages) then this might not be the solution for me, and the Merlin's may just fit the bill perfectly.

Anybody else had a chance to audition/own these customs?

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 19
I am not sure if the full custom version of the Merlin will have the same bass quantity as the JH16.  I think the Merlin will be warmer, but I really can't say.

If you like the Miracle mids/treble, I would just stick with the Merlin.  And auditioning these won't tell the whole story as the JH13 demo I heard was not nearly as good as the JH16 and the Merlin/Miracle demos are not on par with the real thing either.

Oct 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 19
Acesi7 - its too bad you dont have an ipod touch, if you did you coud buy the equalizer ap for $2, and dial in the sound perfectly.

This app is really good. I use it with my LCD-2 - SR71B rig

btw, for what its worth, I just cancelled my JH3A order after a year of waiting. One of the reasons I did so was b/c i realized that the 16's may very well not be my ideal sound.
I am about to throw down for the Miracles instead. Reason being, the 16's are said to be a tighter, more analytical, forward, and smaller soundstage type Custom. Ideal for Rock, etc...
Now everyone's opinion is subjective of course, but the miracles are supposed to be warmer, fuller, rounder sounding.. more musical... and less edgy and tight. less analytical, yet as you may be able to attest to, still great with the details, bigger soundstage, and quite neutral. It seems like the JH house sound is generally a tighter more analytical forward sound than UM's which seems to lean toward warm, and fun. Personally I want the experience of LCD-2's jammed in my ears, so the Miracles seem to me to be one of the best bets for that.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 19
I have only tried someone else's JH13 and JH16, so I didn't get the full experience, but JH IEMs generally are still too edgy and I find the treble and mids a bit hot. My tastes are better served by the warmer, smoother sound of UE. The Merlins are the perfect custom for me.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 19
Brrrrr, if you like the LCD line, you'll like the stronger bass of the hybrid Merlin with its dynamic bass driver.  I enjoyed it quite a bit at RMAF.

Moochan, you are describing the exact sound signature of the Merlin, relaxed and smooth mid/high with strong bass.  The Miracle is similar to the JH13 with a little brighter upper mid.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 19
Has anyone with the Merlin had any problems with the vent collecting dust affecting sound quality? 

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Just checked. Yes, there is a bit of dust there after about four months of use. No, I don't hear a difference after cleaning it.

I see. Well, good to hear sound isn't affected. How do you go about cleaning it?

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 19
I have not owned either of these models personally but have spent some time with both their universal demo units. My impressions are that the jh16s are a tad more detailed across the spectrum with tighter bass especially. However, the merlin's have a more expansive soundstage and a smoother treble sig that is imo more pleasing and easy to listen to. However, I felt that the JH16's transition from bass-mids-treble was smoother than the merlin's which I felt has a somewhat detached bass and mids. Note, these impressions are derived from universal demo units and may differ from actual custom units.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 19
Miracles and JH16 would be the more balanced fight. With the JH16 being Miracles on steroids..

Miracles offer a more neutral presentation..

Merlins are the basshead's dream...

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 19
WIlzc - have you heard both the Merlins and JH16? Like the OP I'm also waiting for someone who's heard both to give a comparison. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back