Advice required
Nov 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 58
I purchased the momentum to give them a try.. not bad, but not what I am looking for so they are going back to FutureShop tonight.

I am also looking at the Shure SRH1840, I am hoping that I can find a place in town that has them so I can try them out.

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #19 of 58
Quote:
Heya,

Sounds like you would enjoy a Beyer DT770, AudioTechnica A900X and/or Denon D2000/D5000. The Beyer is stupid comfortable and isolates well and is inexpensive.

Very best,

Hi MalVeauX,

What do you think about the Beyer DT990 ?  I have a budget of up to $1100 CA so I am open to options.

So far, I have scratched off my list the following:

Senn Momentum
Senn HD800
Beyer T1
B&W P5
Bose QC15
PSB MU12
Beats Studio (anything Beats)

What I have on my "audition" list so far is:

Beyer DT990
Shure SRH1840
Senn HD650
Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV
Denon AH-D7000 (new models coming very soon I think ? )

Thanks
Stephane

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #20 of 58
Quote:
I have a HD800 myself, and I can tell you it's stupidly comfortable. No ear touching at all, and because it's open, you can leave them on for hours without getting warm or sweaty. The biggest problem with the HD800 is that there is a 6khz spike for the vast majority of them. You can request frequency-loudness charts by serial number, and you can see the spike there. Either you need an amp to tone down the spike, or obtain one of those rare ones that doesn't have a treble spike.

ATH AD700/900 are also very comfortable. But if I remember correctly, they do touch the ears.

Or get the mythical Analixus "rabid dog mod". 
eek.gif

Before:

after:

Nov 12, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Or get the mythical Analixus "rabid dog mod". 
eek.gif

Those graphs were measured a year apart and differ in how the data were processed.

For the sake of comparison (which should be the aim for these mod measurements), the old graph should be remeasured. Preferably, a stock version is measured, modded and measured again in the same sitting.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:
Hi MalVeauX,

What do you think about the Beyer DT990 ?  I have a budget of up to $1100 CA so I am open to options.

So far, I have scratched off my list the following:

Senn Momentum
Senn HD800
Beyer T1
B&W P5
Bose QC15
PSB MU12
Beats Studio (anything Beats)

What I have on my "audition" list so far is:

Beyer DT990
Shure SRH1840
Senn HD650
Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV
Denon AH-D7000 (new models coming very soon I think ? )

Thanks
Stephane

If you suffered from sibilance on the Momentums', check out this graph...
=3951&graphID[]=283&graphID[]=3561&graphID[]=2141]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=283&graphID[]=3561&graphID[]=2141

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #23 of 58
So according to that graph, the momentums have the least amount of treble energy.. therefore, if I found them to be sibilant, then the others will be even more so ? Now I am really discouraged LOL

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:
So according to that graph, the momentums have the least amount of treble energy.. therefore, if I found them to be sibilant, then the others will be even more so ? Now I am really discouraged LOL

Well, I've owned the Momentum, the Beyerdynamic 770, Sennheiser HD 650, Denon 2000+7000,D600, Sennheiser HD 25 II-1, ATH M50, Beyer DT 150, Beyer COP, Logitech UE6000 (and I'm sure I forgot 1 or 2) but the Momentum must have the least amount of treble, followed closely by the UE6000 (passive)
Don't worry about being disgouraged, I have been disgouraged so many times
biggrin.gif
 and still try to be more discouraged
deadhorse.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #25 of 58
The power of suggestion is very strong. I you are listening for problems like sibilance, chances are that you will hear them, no matter what. Try to chill out and enjoy the music.

Also consider that the sibilance may be being introduced before your headphones. Over analytical source components, poor recordings and low resolution music files are the usual suspects. I hope you did not return a good pair of headphones just because they told you the truth about what was happening upstream in your system.

Nov 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 58
I was not looking for sibilance, it just showed up on songs that I know very well and never heard that before. I think my gear is pretty decent:

Main system: Sonos - Anedio D2 dac / head amp - Anthem MC20 amplifier - Acoustic Zen Addagio speakers. Cabled with Kimber Hero balanced interconnects and 8PR speaker cables.
Recording system: Presonus 16.0.2 - KRK Rokit 5s studio monitors + sub 10

My music is all high quality FLAC. I don't do MP3s.

I compared the momentums to my AKG 240 Studio heaphones as well as the Beats Studio. The AKG are very neutral, what you feed it is what you get. The Beats have over exagerated bass but that's by design. Although my AKGs are very neutral and sound pretty good, they don't fit well for long listening periods of time, hence my search for a new set of headphones.

In all listening configurations mentionned above, only the momentums showed sibilance in vocals. And, for me, I find the momentums have more treble shimmer than everything else I own. It was that treble shimmer / sibilance that made me return the perfectly functional momentums.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:
Well, I've owned the Momentum, the Beyerdynamic 770, Sennheiser HD 650, Denon 2000+7000,D600, Sennheiser HD 25 II-1, ATH M50, Beyer DT 150, Beyer COP, Logitech UE6000 (and I'm sure I forgot 1 or 2) but the Momentum must have the least amount of treble, followed closely by the UE6000 (passive)
Don't worry about being disgouraged, I have been disgouraged so many times
biggrin.gif
 and still try to be more discouraged
deadhorse.gif

Hi Eddy,

Of all those phones, which one do you like the best for sound and comfort ? how would rate the HD650 ?

I am hoping to audition the following models:

HD600
HD650
Shure SRH1840
Denon 2000 or 7000
AT W5000
Grado RSi
DT990

And whatever else I can actually try out before buying..

Cheers

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #30 of 58
Hey Riker,

For sound & comfort, my favourite can is the Denon D7000 (using my Meier Symphony) but they have way more high end than the Senn HD 650 which I like a lot as well, so after reading about your sibilance problem, I would recomment the HD650.
It is hard for me to recomment something, because I have no clue how the headphones will sound in combination with your other equipment...best advice would be to try them out, that could save you a lot of money.

ps. I am a bassplayer just like you, so you know advice on headphones is just as hard as advice on which bass/amp to choose
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back