Advice on upgrading audio
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Heaby

New Head-Fier
New user here though I have read quite a lot on this forum, mainly about headphones because I just recently ordered a pair of JVC S500 after researching alot about portable headphones.

Now to my dilemma.

I currently have a pair of Harman Kardon HKTS 30 connected through an Onkyo AVR 609 to my onboard sound.
I have the usual problem of not being able to play loud enough without noise coming from the speakers so I'm considering getting an external dac and maybe an amp if it's beneficial.

I have rounded down my choices to these:

Fiio e10 (94$)
Ele usb dac (17$)
Hifimediy Sabre usb dac (52$)
Hifimediy Sabre usb dac + amp (About 45$ for an amp)

First of all, will the JVC S500 benefit much with an amp or will they sound fine without one (since they're only 32 ohm)?
Will my speakers benefit much with an amp?

Fiio e10 is the more portable/convenient option but the Hifimediy + amp could be a better sounding option and possibly cheaper from what I've read here.

So what should I choose?

Edit: Added Ele usb dac

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
How are you connecting the receiver to your computer?

3.5mm to rca. Use to go hdmi from my gfx but that always meant extended desktop got enabled which became irritating and I honestly couldn't teel the difference in audio quality so I just went the analog route and didn't think anymore about it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 4
HDMI or Optical would give you better sound quality and likely better volume.

If you're using 3.5mm, check your Windows volume settings.  It will make a difference (though it shouldn't, it likely will).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back