Advice on Noise Reduction Headphones
Sep 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

driddri

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm looking to buy one noise reduction headphones as I am constantly travelling and also working in a quite noisy ambience.
Many people told me to get a Bose QC15, which I tested and seemed really nice, but unfortunately I can not afford 350$ on a headphone now.
Would anyone have another cheaper recommendation? I could work sth til 150$ I guess...
Many thanks!

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hi all!

I'm looking to buy one noise reduction headphones as I am constantly travelling and also working in a quite noisy ambience.
Many people told me to get a Bose QC15, which I tested and seemed really nice, but unfortunately I can not afford 350$ on a headphone now.
Would anyone have another cheaper recommendation? I could work sth til 150$ I guess...
Many thanks!

Are you fine with IEM's? Music prefrences?

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 10
Honestly I would highly recommend saving up for the Bose QC15 they are the best NC headphones and sound decent.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 10
hi,
yes, I was considering this too, but as my travel level had really went up, I wanted to find some short way
Just in case, those were the ones I was looking at already:
AKG K 490NC (169$)
Sony MDRNC200 (149$)
Panasonic RP-HC700 (109$)
all prices includes taxes
have you used any of them?
cheers

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Hi all!

Many thanks!

Heya,

Are we talking airplane?

Or are we talking car/bus/train/office?

Realistically for your price range, the true noise cancel headphones that are powered by batteries are going to sound like junk for the cost you're putting in. The QC15 sounds like a good headphone, while offering great cancelation. So at your budget, I would suggest simply getting a good set of headphones that have great passive isolation (not active). The Brainwavz HM5 would do that for you.

Very best,

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 10
Honestly I would highly recommend saving up for the Bose QC15 they are the best NC headphones and sound decent.

I agree that the Bose have the best NC after purchasing and/or testing a half dozen models. The ones I finally settled with were the Able Planets.

The main reason I did that is, as Mal stated above you aren't going to get the best Sound Quality with almost ANY NC headphone so I opted to save a few bucks.

The AP's have good enough NC technology to kill that super-annoying humm from the engines of the plane that cause you to turn your volume way up even with headphones with decent passive sound isolation/reduction.

For me using the NC technology is a worthwhile trade off against sound quality. When I am not on a plane I don't use them at all. They only cost me 60 bucks shipped when I got them. You can get them from Worldwide for 80 bucks here.:

http://www.buy.com/prod/able-planet-clear-harmony-around-the-ear-anc-black/220028396.html?listingId=132237636

In terms of SQ they are comparable to the Bose. The NC is not as good but like I said kills that specific frequency well. In fact I am about to use them tmrrw on a flight to DC from LA.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 10
I guess the OP is gone but the able planet for 49 shipped by ww stereo on ebay. New.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Able-Planet-NC1100B-Around-the-Ear-Noise-Cancelling-Headphone-Black-/251136259869?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267&forcev4exp=true#ht_2060wt_982

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi,

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but as I said, lately my 'travel levels' have been really high!
Answering you, Mal,I was basically talking about airplanes - I've been taking very long flights for work and there is a tendendcy to get worse...
But my budget is still low, so I guess I will follow Doc's advice on the AP's.
Thanks you all very much for the inputs!
cheers!

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 10
I wrote about K 490 NC here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612242/need-help-choosing-between-klipsch-mode-m40-b-w-p5-akg-k490nc-k495nc-and-sennheiser-pxc-450#post_8716911

They retail at USD 249 though. I think they are certainly worth it! I did not try the BOSE, I was put off by the fact that they would sound so different with NC switched off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back