Advice on New Soundcard with Live Recording Capabilities
Jun 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
I am looking for a new soundcard that will be used for hi fi audio playback, recording live music, recording and archiving cassettes and vinyl, and to a lesser extent movies and gaming.  I can either go with a PCIe card or a USB solution but it seems like the USB solutions are better for recording.

For audio, I already have a separate high quality DAC that can accept coax, optical or USB, so would need a digital output.

Does anyone have any experience with the M-Audio Mobile Pre?  Looks like a good recording device but not sure about playback options.  I do not need to have multiple inputs for recording.  2 channels would be good enough although 4 would be better.  Would not need more than that though.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Jun 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 4
I realize the Mobile Pre doesn't do digital out for my DAC, but I can run it off USB.  I don't have any hi-rez material to speak of so USB is OK for now, especially since recording is my priority.

...and bump

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 4
No feedback but thought I'd post an update for future reference.  I think the unit I want to go for is the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.  It has a S/PDIF out so my only question now is can I configure it with an audio player like Foobar or iTunes for playback of my music.  If not, I still have the USB to DAC option.

Anybody have experience with Focusrite?  They are supposed to have good preamps.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
No feedback but thought I'd post an update for future reference.  I think the unit I want to go for is the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6.  It has a S/PDIF out so my only question now is can I configure it with an audio player like Foobar or iTunes for playback of my music.  If not, I still have the USB to DAC option.

Anybody have experience with Focusrite?  They are supposed to have good preamps.

I would have to recommend you visit Computer Audiophile. There are some very knowledgeable people there that have experience with A/D transfers and such. I do hear the RME Fireface as a highly recommended option, not sure if it fits your needs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back