Advice on IEMs for use in airplane, comfortable and good bass (Here we go again) UPDATE:- Final Verdict = Shure SE530
Apr 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #31 of 41
ohhhh

since youve now upped the budget to include the 530 then i say get them. i could wax lyrical as to why and why they are probably the right ones for you but its late and i cant be bothered.

very comfortable, isolate very well and sound outstanding.

as much as i hate to say ignore anyone elses opinions but...kobayashi's last post was drivel.

as and when im forced to travel and only take one set of IEM's its the 530 always and i never hear the engines. well apart from take of and landing and they go nuts about removing them from my ears (safety blah crap)

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #32 of 41
IE8s are only $275 and are better in every way than the SE530. If you're going to stretch your budget, the SE530 is NOT the IEM to chose.

X10s, Turbine or Atrios will all work well for you and all sound different from one another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with your comment that the Westone 3 are no competition as they are in a different league! I tried the Shure SE530s for about a week and found the soundstage lacking, with poor base and good mids-highs (and not very different from my SE310s). Then I read HeadphoneAddicts Westone 3 review and gave them a try. WOW...they absolutely blew the Shure SE530s out of the water.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 41
It seems like I will have to buy a pair of IE8 one of these days. their fanboys are so much more vehement then us makes me think there's something special going on in that dynamic driver. please link me to where they're $275 in the US!!

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #34 of 41
Glad to hear that you're now considering the top IEMs! (You're a true-blooded Head-Fi'er now.) If you're shopping around for one of the top ones, a great question to ask yourself is, how am I going to be using these earphones? Would you use them stop-and-go, while studying, only during commuting, while sleeping, or at all times?

It's an important question because some IEMs are really in-your-face; for instance, Westone 3's are, as someone described them, "muscular". Earphones described like this would be better suited for stop-and-go listening periods. (I know my old q-Jays were like this, since they had such a demanding treble.) These earphones get your blood racing sometimes, are more epic, but definitely demand much more of your attention.

On the other hand, other earphones like the Shure SE530's, are laid back, smooth, luxurious and "yummy", great for lounging or studying, great for providing background music while focusing on something else. Obviously, they're just as detailed as other top IEM's making them just as good for listening sessions, but they won't hit you or excite you the way more "muscular" IEMs might.

How will you be using your earphones, do you think? It says you'll be using them for working, which is why I would recommend the 530's. I have them, and being a college student I've found that I can study while wearing them -- a big factor in my book. I had difficulty doing the same with q-Jays.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #35 of 41
not trying to thread-crap but what the heck is stop and go
confused_face_2.gif
reminds me of a car pulling into the pits. lol "hand me my IEMs!"

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like I will have to buy a pair of IE8 one of these days. their fanboys are so much more vehement then us makes me think there's something special going on in that dynamic driver. please link me to where they're $275 in the US!!

PM me for the details.

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.n.d. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not trying to thread-crap but what the heck is stop and go
confused_face_2.gif
reminds me of a car pulling into the pits. lol "hand me my IEMs!"

It's when you're doing 100 on a 35mph street in your brand-new Aston Martin Rapide and you brake at the first red light you've hit in hours and you're like, "Bloody red light, I can't stand this I need musicks," so you bust out your three-hundred-dollar earphones and stick them in your ear and blast a FLAC recording of you doing 100 on a 35mph street until the light turns to green and you're off again.

Obviously.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

since youve now upped the budget to include the 530 then i say get them

Said I'd make an exception if the headphones were worth the extra $buck$
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Theres a new seller called Digital Audio USA selling them for $289 + $18 shipping on Amazon, no ratings as of yet. Can't vouch for them.

I've carefully considered kobayashi's helpful post, but the things that keep me away from the IE8s are :- 200hr burn in time (dont have that much time; bad excuse I know, but cmon), the fact that some users had issues with the fit (dont want to take a risk, or go out searching for the perfect eartips), needs an amp for full performace (bwah iphone). I also dont want to constantly adjust that bass knob cuz I have that tendency to keep messing around with the EQ and stuff (and set it to flat in the end hah). I love the metal box it comes with though
redface.gif

SE530 seem to be the perfect choice for me at this point, as they have a universal fit and dont require aeons of burn-in. From what Ive heard, perfect for my music needs ... versatility is the word here.

Guess I wont be buying any IEMs for 2 years now ... I'll s(h)urely be quite happy with my 530s ... as for the IE8s, UE-11 pros and all those other fancy headphones out there ... I'd say ignorance is bliss
atsmile.gif

SO, just bought the SE530s from Amazon for $279.99 from 365USA (couldn't find the dealer named Sarjo_distributions, they probably sold out ... no surprises). I'm so excited I can't type properly haha
L3000.gif

Can't wait to use these beauties ... Thanks to everybody on Head-Fi who helped me out, directly or indirectly. Bet it doesn't take you guys much time or effort to hijack someone's wallet
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #40 of 41
oh and BTW there are many good-fits for the se530, for your plane ride I'm sure you'll go with the comfiest quietest setup, olives or foams, but you will also find the tri flanges and various mods discussed in this thread will open up a wide variety of ways to enjoy these phones

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's when you're doing 100 on a 35mph street in your brand-new Aston Martin Rapide and you brake at the first red light you've hit in hours and you're like, "Bloody red light, I can't stand this I need musicks," so you bust out your three-hundred-dollar earphones and stick them in your ear and blast a FLAC recording of you doing 100 on a 35mph street until the light turns to green and you're off again.

Obviously.

whoops sorry i wasnt trying to mock you or anything. im a car guy and im always thinking about cars. and if its not cars, its headphones.

i just wanted to know because i may upgrade my IEMs. again i hope i didnt offend you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back