Advice on down-sizing
Sep 15, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 31

Quote:

This looks quite interesting and is probably the best solution. The one of the early sentences, you mentioned it worked as a speaker amp. That itself got me sold, then followed up with the words neutral and analytical. One question I have is how do I physically plug my HE-6 into that thing? There are only two outputs in the back for speaker. I was hoping to see L+ L- R+ R-.

I previously owned an NFB-10ES. I loved that thing but I had drop out issues so I sent it back. I'll read up about the Emotiva. $219 is definitely not a bad price, but I have to bring my DAC and DI. My DAC doesn't nearly sound as good without the DI.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I will bring my HE-6. No doubt any $400 headphone can match up, even under-amped. Plus I bought a new cable to replace my oxidized stock cable. I might as well use that investment!

Not a tube guy at all. I'm a SS type of guy.

Asgard is all discrete no IC chips SS amp

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

This looks quite interesting and is probably the best solution. The one of the early sentences, you mentioned it worked as a speaker amp. That itself got me sold, then followed up with the words neutral and analytical. One question I have is how do I physically plug my HE-6 into that thing? There are only two outputs in the back for speaker. I was hoping to see L+ L- R+ R-.

The Nuforce Icon2 comes with two sets of cables: one with rj45 on both ends (for connecting with S-X speakers), and another with rj45 on one side and banana plugs on the other, which is what I use to connect my speaker tap.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

The Nuforce Icon2 comes with two sets of cables: one with rj45 on both ends (for connecting with S-X speakers), and another with rj45 on one side and banana plugs on the other, which is what I use to connect my speaker tap.

Ohhh that makes sense then. Pondering if I should just buy it now since amazon doesn't charge CA tax yet. One more day for that! OR hopefully find someone selling one on the FS section.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the Centrance DACport?

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #19 of 31
I used to have one. Very nice little unit. Veered a bit on the warmer side from my memory. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #20 of 31
Looks like I'm going to try to sell my DAC anyway. Once I get that sold, I'll get the Icon2. If I can't, I might have to consider getting Trends TA 10.1 or that Emotive amp. Obviously that would be as compact as the Icon2 though.

Hopefully I find an internship while finishing up my last class so I can get an NFB-7.32.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #21 of 31
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 31
That also looks like a possible option. The power output is borderline enough which is doable for 4 months. Thanks!

Keep posting if you think of anything else! I'm just checking the FS section multiple times a day hoping an option is available. Or at least once I sell some of my gear.

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #23 of 31
What about the Onkyo integrated amps? They're pretty robust and they would certainly weigh less and be less fragile than the Marantz you have, and I think some of them have DtoA conversion built in as well. Not sure how they'd do driving direct taps, but the headphone jack output is probably robust enough in it's own right.

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 31
Wouldn't an integrated amp be pretty large? I would most certainly think the power output is enough, but size....

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #27 of 31
Wouldn't an integrated amp be pretty large? I would most certainly think the power output is enough, but size....

Relative to something like the VHP2, yes, but relative to your big Marantz, not really.

I mean like this:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=A-5VL&class=Amplifier&p=i

It'll fit into a lot of places that a larger (taller/deeper/heavier) component won't, and it's got a DtoA built-in, so it's an all-in-one unit. Sure, it might take up more space than the VHP-2 or CEntrance individually, but when you figure how much space all of that stuff will take up combined, it's probably about the same. Only weighs 20 lbs to boot. :)

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #28 of 31
It is still a bit on the large side. With a footprint that big, I might as well keep my DAC and DI and get an amp like the Trends TA10.1.

Sep 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:
That also looks like a possible option. The power output is borderline enough which is doable for 4 months. Thanks!

Keep posting if you think of anything else! I'm just checking the FS section multiple times a day hoping an option is available. Or at least once I sell some of my gear.

I remember a while ago when I was looking at similar miniature speaker amp/dac combos, the Nuforce and Travagans were the main ones I was considering.There was also the Firestone audio stuff (which I believe Travagans is an offshoot from), with their Big Joe which is just a speaker amp, or the Rubby which is a dac/amp but a bit bigger. There was one other who's name escapes me at the moment; they were a European brand (I think from the UK?) with stuff similar to the Trends amp.

Nuforce has also recently released several different amplifiers too, which might bear looking into. The DDA-100 looks particularly interesting, though the footprint is bigger. The Dia is small like the Icon though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back