Advice on a Oscilloscope?
May 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
There's been one locally for sale for $25 and I'm wondering if it's a good buy or not. It's listed as "Heathkit Oscilloscope model 10-12 with original manual". From what I understand they're sold as kits and thus build quality and whatnot can vary. I think it would be something fun to have to play with and test a thing or two occasionally. I do a little solder work but nothing full-on DIY (yet). Is it a good deal? If so, is it a worthwhile device or should I spend my money elsewhere?

P.S. I do know this isn't really audio but I figured a lot of you DIY'ers mess with oscilloscopes frequently and wouldn't mind giving a bit of advice. Thanks!

May 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Such a scope probably makes more sense for someone who already has a scope, or at least knows how to use one.

If your message didn't hint that $25 is enough money to you that it's worth debating over, I'd suggest it might be worth that much just for a neat conversation piece, even if it doesn't run. It'd make a beautiful bookend.
smily_headphones1.gif

An analog scope like this won't be of any use in digital electronics, and it's no use in analog without a signal source. You can press a PC sound card or CD player into use as an audio frequency signal source, but at such slow speeds you're not really using a scope to its full potential, even an ancient one.

May 7, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 6
I've been looking for a budget USB scope,  that may be an option for you.  Unfortunately I haven't found one with a 100x probe to use with tube amps,  so I'm still scopeless (damnit.)  Space is the main issue for me,   I hate to own a big piece of equipment that I use a few times a year.

May 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 6
You're giving up more than just volume when you go to a PC scope.  Search the archives to collect a litany of problems.

May 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 6
yeah mate, forget the USB scobe. certainly as your only scope. bandwidth and speed are limited and then you have the noise from USB AND the computer to deal with. I just dont think its where it should be just yet. certainly not for any money even approaching what you could get a decent regular non-USB scope for. cool for taking snapshots though I guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back