Advice needed on first pair of headphones
Apr 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

charlie0904

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently deciding on MS-1, HD555, SR80i, ES7 for home use. I listen from classical, jazz, pop music.
o2smile.gif

I like transparency, clarity and soundstage, only have a tiny T4 amp so preferably easily driven headphones. thanks fellow headfi-ers.
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 11
You should add the Audio Technica AD700 to your list. I don't have any personal experience with it, but it's in your price range (from the others you list). There has been a lot of discussion on this headphone, as well as the others you list, so use the search and you'll find tons of info.

Goo luck!

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 11
OK. That said, I'd probably go with the MS-1.

According to all I've read they are supposed to be more balanced than the Grado Prestige Series (SR60/80/125). I find the SR60 to be fatiguing after 15-20 minutes. The Alessandro are reputed to be smoother sounding.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 11
Go try them. A lot of Audio shops have the HD555, the Alessandro, no, but at least you can hear the HD555.

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like transparency, clarity and soundstage, only have a tiny T4 amp so preferably easily driven headphones. thanks fellow headfi-ers.
beerchug.gif

That describes the AD700 perfectly, but you did not like them? Was it the size? A comfort issue? Maybe you want a different sound if you those weren't the problems. I am not trying to sell you on the AD700's, but what you describe for the sound you need, are the reasons I like them so much.

Apr 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Maybe the Beyerdynamic DTX900? The MS-1 would probably be the best of those you have listed but they don't have much of a soundstage. The HD555 isn't something Id call transparent or clear sounding, but it has a bit better soundstage than the MS-1. Still Id recommend the MS-1 over them.

Id drop the SR80i since your considering the MS-1 and because it is more suited for rock music than classical, pop, and jazz.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Hmm, it DOES sound like you want AD700, and yet you don't. Next up, I'd recommend 555 over the Grado/Alessandros for your music. MS-1 for classical...no, i don't see that happening.

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Busta9iron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That describes the AD700 perfectly, but you did not like them? Was it the size? A comfort issue? Maybe you want a different sound if you those weren't the problems. I am not trying to sell you on the AD700's, but what you describe for the sound you need, are the reasons I like them so much.

size is too big for me.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the Beyerdynamic DTX900? The MS-1 would probably be the best of those you have listed but they don't have much of a soundstage. The HD555 isn't something Id call transparent or clear sounding, but it has a bit better soundstage than the MS-1. Still Id recommend the MS-1 over them.

Id drop the SR80i since your considering the MS-1 and because it is more suited for rock music than classical, pop, and jazz.

thanks for the advice. great help.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back