Advice needed: I have Shure E4C's & need more bass, Super.Fi PRO 5 or EB?
Aug 22, 2006 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Chris Dallas

New Head-Fier
I've had my Shure E4C's now for several months but am VERY disappointed in the Bass department so I decided on these 2 from reading the boards the Super.Fi PRO 5 or the EB's & need your help please.

I like to get similar quality sound that I have with the E4C's but with added Bass that these lack.

I love listening to new & old Rock & also 80's style music like the old Rap style like Grandmaster Flash and high energy music as well.

Which should I go with considering the music I like?

Thank You All In Advance.
Chris
dvdmansion@hotmail.com

P.S. The Shure E4C's are up for grabs if anyone is interested or a trade is welcomed.

Aug 23, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Just sent you an email.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dallas
I've had my Shure E4C's now for several months but am VERY disappointed in the Bass department so I decided on these 2 from reading the boards the Super.Fi PRO 5 or the EB's & ....snip

I got the E4's and teh Superfi 5's at about the same time. I sent the E4's
back right away. There was no comparison in the depth of the sound. The net for me is that any dual driver IEM sounds better than any single driver I've tried. The Super5's have good bass.

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #5 of 12
I think the super fi' have bloated bass that lacks definition and isn't as tight or as punchy as the bass from the E4C or ER-4S.

We need to reeducate the bassheads so that they understand that good bass is a lot more than just loudness.

Aug 24, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
I think the super fi' have bloated bass that lacks definition and isn't as tight or as punchy as the bass from the E4C or ER-4S.

We need to reeducate the bassheads so that they understand that good bass is a lot more than just loudness.

And we need to reeducate the anti-bassheads that its a matter of taste, not education. Hey I wonder why my EB sounds more like the real thing than the e4c i owned.... Ahh maybe live sound is low-fi...

Aug 24, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Neither of the 2.

Instead, go fot the Westone UM2s. They will have the mid-bass hump you're looking for, whilst at the same time refrain from being overly slow like the SF5EB.

Aug 24, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 12
What about the Super.Fi 5 PRO? The EB's may have bloated Bass I'll take some people's word on it although it's a matter of taste but what about Super.Fi 5 PRO? How do they compare in the Bass department against the E4C's? I thought the E4C's were horrible in this field, still have them & don't like them so I don't think I'll be buying the 500's cause still reading these threads they say the 500's are still not that good in the Bass department...maybe it's just Shure's, they can't get the Bass right?

Aug 24, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by flibottf
And we need to reeducate the anti-bassheads that its a matter of taste, not education. Hey I wonder why my EB sounds more like the real thing than the e4c i owned.... Ahh maybe live sound is low-fi...

Real bass doesn't sound like that. People are just so used to cheap boomboxes, headphones, and car systems, that that's all they know. My home speaker setup doesn't sound like an EB, and no concert I've ever been to sounded like an EB, or even a 5 pro.

Trying to recreate the visceral feeling of bass in an IEM is impossble, and in the end only ends up smearing the other frequencies.

Yes, it is a matter of taste. I can accept that. But I'll never understand it.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Real bass doesn't sound like that. People are just so used to cheap boomboxes, headphones, and car systems, that that's all they know. My home speaker setup doesn't sound like an EB, and no concert I've ever been to sounded like an EB, or even a 5 pro.

Just a note -- It's probably worth clarifying what types of live performances people are referencing here. Surely the bass of an un-miked symphonic event differs dramatically from the bass of an amplified rock concert...but neither is any less "real." It seems to me our sonic/headphone preferences depend as much on things like style and genre as they do on taste...

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Dallas
What about the Super.Fi 5 PRO? The EB's may have bloated Bass I'll take some people's word on it although it's a matter of taste but what about Super.Fi 5 PRO? How do they compare in the Bass department against the E4C's? I thought the E4C's were horrible in this field, still have them & don't like them so I don't think I'll be buying the 500's cause still reading these threads they say the 500's are still not that good in the Bass department...maybe it's just Shure's, they can't get the Bass right?

Shure can most definitely get the bass right. Both the E5 and the E500 have very good bass. The E5 bass is big and tight, the E500 improves by adding more definition and detail to the bass.

The Super.Fi 5 Pro bass isn't quite as tight as the E5, but has a bit more texture. Which you'd like better is subjective of course. The E500 blows both out of the water.

Also worth considering is the Westone UM2. It's not my favorite of the 3, but many enjoy it quite a bit.

As far as the EB goes: I think the EB is a lot of fun, but it's not an audiophile product at all, and was never meant to be one. The bass on the EB is HUGE!!! It can be very fun with some songs and with action movies, but is a little too bassy for regular listening. Of course, this is my opinion, and some people will undoubtedly love them all the time.

One thing to note: If you listen to any of these for a long enough period of time your mind and ears will adjust and "normalize" their sound. In other words, in time you'd probably feel that the E4 sounds pretty flat, or that the EB's bass while big is not out of proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back