Advice needed for buying first desktop speakers
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Inearwilly

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I am looking for my first set of desktop speakers.

So, I searched the web for over 100 hours looking for desktop speakers and decided to go for the Swans OS-10.

However, while offering a very clear sound, they are too boring for my taste and I will have to return them. Also they have a noticable hiss, even at low volumes, which is annoying.

Currently looking at the Polk ES15. Does anyone have experience with them? Have not found anything on the forum regarding the ES15. They would be 200€ but they require an amp, since they are passive speakers. I am looking at the Fosi v3 or za3 as cheap amp options.

My sound source is a laptop (3.5mm).

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions of great desktop speakers.

I am looking for:

-small/medium sized speakers
-Fun/warmer signature
-active or passive.
-Non-Fatiguing
-Good Bass
-Budget is 400€ for speakers and amp if needed.

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi everyone.

I am looking for my first set of desktop speakers.

So, I searched the web for over 100 hours looking for desktop speakers and decided to go for the Swans OS-10.

However, while offering a very clear sound, they are too boring for my taste and I will have to return them. Also they have a noticable hiss, even at low volumes, which is annoying.

Currently looking at the Polk ES15. Does anyone have experience with them? Have not found anything on the forum regarding the ES15. They would be 200€ but they require an amp, since they are passive speakers. I am looking at the Fosi v3 or za3 as cheap amp options.

My sound source is a laptop (3.5mm).

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions of great desktop speakers.

I am looking for:

-small/medium sized speakers
-Fun/warmer signature
-active or passive.
-Non-Fatiguing
-Good Bass
-Budget is 400€ for speakers and amp if needed.
Maybe check out Edifier speakers with Bass and Treble knobs to adjust the sound to your liking.
They have various models and I was super impressed at how good they sound. (clear/precise/detailed)
In my case it was SB1000II but they might be a bit big for a desk (bass was enormous)

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 4
To keep it simple, I'd go with a self powered setup. Less wires, and you will get a set that has a great synergy with amplification it was designed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back