Advice for airline travel portable: ATH-M50 vs. Sennheiser HD25-1 II or something completely different?
Aug 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thr61

New Head-Fier
I have searched and read most of the posts here on this subject and am not finding the answers I need.

I am after a set of cans primarily for airline travel.  I have used etys and shure in-ear and even with custom tips, cannot get comfortable.  Someone gave me a pair of Bose, which are comfortable, but sound horrible and keep breaking.

I will be using either an iPhone 4 or a MacBook Air as source.  I have no plans to add amplification due to a need to keep it light and portable.

My reading has lead me to both the ATH-M50  and Sennheiser HD25-1 II, which hit my price point of $200 or less.  Each seems to have its fans, but I am concerned about comfort, durability and portability as well as sound quality.  It would seem either of these will be fine given the sources I am using, so perhaps the leaves the other three factors as key (comfort, durability and portability.)

I am also very open to hearing about other options.  I tend to listen to 1950s/early 1960s jazz and some fairly precise and textured rock -- Steely Dan, Peter Gabriel, etc., so I am not looking for bass dominance.

Views given the above on the two choices or is there something amazing out there I am missing?

Thanks so much.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 9
One last comments: because I fly a great deal, I am interested in noise isolation/reduction.  Cancellation is fine as well, but I have yet to hear of a set of phones that do not sacrifice quality to achieve this.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi there,

I had a similar issue some months ago because my esw9s did not isolate almost at all inside a plane so I bought the hd25s following their isolation reputation.

I was eager to test them during a flight so I did and it was not bad but I needed to set the volume too high for my liking not to hear the engine. So, I took them out and put my iems (q-jays ) and I never went back to the hd25 again as the isolation-sound quality in such "extreme" circumstances was much better with the iems.

So if I were you I would save the money.

Cheers.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the reply.  I have used IEMs in the past, and they are just too uncomfortable, even with custom tips.  So, I am looking for on or over ear options.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 9
I own both.

comfort: most people agree that the M50 is more comfortable, Overall circumaural cans are more comfortable than supreaural, I've use the HD25 in a 4 hours flight and found it perfect as for isolation/comfort. this using the vynil pads.

durability: both seems though, but the one I've use the most is the HD25 and i can asure you this can take serious abuse, on a plus, it has user replaceable parts, from pads to headband and cups and hinges and cable. M50 doesnt have a detachable cable, and even when the padding in the headband is a good option as for comfort, I'll expect it to be the first part to show tear and wear issues.

portability: M50 folds. but HD25 is smalles, by far. up to you, I can walk around with the HD25 around my neck and no problem, M50 is kind of too bulky to do that. I say the HD25 is more portable, I just trow it on my backpack and its fine.

and as per sound, that would be the biggest difference. I'll take the HD25 over the M50 any day, even without an amp. dont expect the HD25 to have strong bass as the M50 tho, but its not thin either. highs are less piercing in the senn and mids are more up front.

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 9
+1 for the Sennheisers here.  I can use them on an airplane without an amp on most any source; an amp just makes those sources sound less strained to achieve the desired response.

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Ifsomeone comes here and says the DT1350 smash his head with a guitar and call it a day

Nah, they cost too much for the OP's stated budget.  They seem to be really like or hate headphone.  I really like them, it appears you never warmed up to them.  I A/B'd them against the HD25-1-ii for a couple of weeks.  The HD25's are a great headphone.  Good isolation, great sound, bulletproof, and in the price range.  Add my recommendation for the HD-25's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back