Advanced AcousticWerkes partners with Null-Audio for new line of low cost CIEMs, including hybrids
Jan 20, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #331 of 474
I am in the process of finishing up my review. If all goes well it should be up in a few weeks time. 
  I am sorta interested in Angies but think there might be an overlap with the sound signature of AAW 500. Cant think of any universals which are great price point for sound other than the Angies. 

Angie and W500 don't have much in common to be honest. Very different sound signatures here, but this is only from my experience with the Angie universal demo. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #333 of 474
  I am in the process of finishing up my review. If all goes well it should be up in a few weeks time. 
Angie and W500 don't have much in common to be honest. Very different sound signatures here, but this is only from my experience with the Angie universal demo. 

Interesting, where does the main difference lie between AAW500 and Angies? 

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #335 of 474
Once I get them lol! ETA W500 this week.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #336 of 474
So this finally happened.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #337 of 474

Interesting, where does the main difference lie between AAW500 and Angies? 

So these are initial impressions. I'm just about 4 hours in, getting re-acquainted with the W500 sound after a 3-month gap of waiting and nearly no memory of the demo version lol.

Main difference is easy haha. The W500 is the Warm Machine. The Angie is a neutral tuning with slight warmth (bass at 2 o' clock) and forward mids.

The W500 envelops the music in a sheet of rich, chocolatey goodness that somehow enhances the mids and stays clear of the treble. So you get a nice velvety-smooth sound with an extended treble that is never harsh. Very special colouration, and musical too. The presentation is a bit upfront and forward. And for now I'm taking the bass to max because I really can't get enough of that dynamic, natural bass. This is endgame bass territory. Only thing is it isn't fast enough for hard rock or metal.

Angie however has all the details, but isn't in a hurry to show it. It is very smooth and relaxed as well, with a more pushed-back presentation, giving the impression that the soundstage is airier and wider. All except the vocals/mids which are pushed slightly forward, giving it a centre stage. It's slightly faster as well and a better all-rounder.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #338 of 474

So these are initial impressions. I'm just about 4 hours in, getting re-acquainted with the W500 sound after a 3-month gap of waiting and nearly no memory of the demo version lol.

Main difference is easy haha. The W500 is the Warm Machine. The Angie is a neutral tuning with slight warmth (bass at 2 o' clock) and forward mids.

The W500 envelops the music in a sheet of rich, chocolatey goodness that somehow enhances the mids and stays clear of the treble. So you get a nice velvety-smooth sound with an extended treble that is never harsh. Very special colouration, and musical too. The presentation is a bit upfront and forward. And for now I'm taking the bass to max because I really can't get enough of that dynamic, natural bass. This is endgame bass territory. Only thing is it isn't fast enough for hard rock or metal.

Angie however has all the details, but isn't in a hurry to show it. It is very smooth and relaxed as well, with a more pushed-back presentation, giving the impression that the soundstage is airier and wider. All except the vocals/mids which are pushed slightly forward, giving it a centre stage. It's slightly faster as well and a better all-rounder.

Nice looking pair! The color combination you have chosen is quite unique. 

As for your impressions, agree with everything. Pretty much in line with what I think of them, although mine is the reference version so bass adjustment is equivalent to ahmorph set at the middle position. I find bass plenty already at this setting, but kinda want to try out the max setting now haha!

W500's main weakness is that it is not a good all-rounder, and hard rock or metal genre is simply a no go with this iem, for me at least.

Enjoy your new toy! 

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #339 of 474

Nice looking pair! The color combination you have chosen is quite unique. 

As for your impressions, agree with everything. Pretty much in line with what I think of them, although mine is the reference version so bass adjustment is equivalent to ahmorph set at the middle position. I find bass plenty already at this setting, but kinda want to try out the max setting now haha!

W500's main weakness is that it is not a good all-rounder, and hard rock or metal genre is simply a no go with this iem, for me at least.

Enjoy your new toy! 

Thanks man. This morning I was also telling jelt2359 how W500 and H8P are polar opposites of each other.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #341 of 474

Thank you for taking time to post a reply :) Love these forums!

According to you, which headphones are "fast"? Curious because on next black friday, am looking to pick another IEM. Though the latest fostex massdrop was really tempting :D 

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #342 of 474
Thank you for taking time to post a reply :) Love these forums!

According to you, which headphones are "fast"? Curious because on next black friday, am looking to pick another IEM. Though the latest fostex massdrop was really tempting :D 

The speed of each note articulation. It can be thick like the W500 which gives a rich and full sound, lingers a bit longer, which to me gives warmth and emotion. But its slower attack and decay of each note means it cannot keep up with faster tracks from hard rock and metal, where the notes might stick to each other and become muddled.

So the opposite of that is thin note articulation, or faster attack and decay of each note. Brings clarity, detail and excitement, but too much of it will give an overly metallic, unnatural sound. The JH13 and H8P are definitely faster than the W500 in that sense. JH13 in particular I use for rock always.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #344 of 474
  Hi ezekiel77, if you have a time, can you please also compare W500 with SE846, more interested will be know about overall sound signature, bass and vocal comparison, thanks :)

Will try it soon. Based purely on memory, the W500 seems like a direct upgrade to SE846. Will post more.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #345 of 474
  So this finally happened.

Those look really pretty! Enjoy bass heaven with the W500. Like you, I keep them on max bass setting for that delicious low-end thump. There's nothing quite like it in the IEM world! 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back