ADEL™ Drum Earbuds
Nov 10, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #16 of 338
Have you done any comparison with other IEMs with it?

It the ADEL? I heard the prototype of these buds at CanJam last March and they sounded really good. I think Stephen was using the 10mm conventional driver at that time.

It the Cardas transducer? Nope. AFAIK, Asius is the first company to OEM the driver.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 338
It the ADEL? I heard the prototype of these buds at CanJam last March and they sounded really good. I think Stephen was using the 10mm conventional driver at that time.

It the Cardas transducer? Nope. AFAIK, Asius is the first company to OEM the driver.

For a 10mm driver, so long as they are tuned properly I believe the ADEL-drum can be a game changer on IEMs.

But if used along with Cardas transducer it would certainly be a very strong competitor on other IEMs like Dita and Campfire Audio's new dynamic line up.

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 338
But if used along with Cardas transducer it would certainly be a very strong competitor on other IEMs like Dita and Campfire Audio's new dynamic line up.

Absolutely! Huge. Here's why. If you are the average IEM maker, there is no way you have the intellectual wherewithal to develop a radically new magnet structure. So, what do you focus on? Diaphragms. If you have a quantum leap in driver technology that is the IEM analog of a high tesla driver in headphones, you don't need diamond film or other insanely expensive exotic materials for your diaphragm.

I think these buds could be a major game changer... can't wait to hear them!

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #19 of 338
Absolutely! Huge. Here's why. If you are the average IEM maker, there is no way you have the intellectual wherewithal to develop a radically new magnet structure. So, what do you focus on? Diaphragms. If you have a quantum leap in driver technology that is the IEM analog of a high tesla driver in headphones, you don't need a diamond film diaphragm or other insanely expensive exotic materials. 

I think these buds could be a major game changer... can't wait to hear them!

Thing is, I have no experience with Cardas so i cannot tell how good they are compared to other dynamic IEMs.

But from what you just showed me it seems like these are the real deal without ripping my wallet a new arsehole.

I've been in the BA world for quite a while and I think it's high time to return to dynamics.

...again, without tearing my wallet.

MYR 2000 (470 USD) is my greatest tolerance for an IEM, full stop. I don't think I'll spend anymore than that.

And I think these might fit the bill.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #20 of 338
BA's suck. The ideal is a single transducer that covers the entire frequency range. This is true for IEMs, headphones and speakers. So what does a designer do? If you are in the BA world, you put in some woofers, mids and tweets. Now you have crossovers in between. Crossovers create all sorts of problems, most notably phase and amplitude misalignment. This reads out as screwed up timbre and soundstage. Now you wave your hands about V shape or U shape or some other BS. Now, don't get me wrong. Noble K10s are fun to listen to, but in no way are they accurate :)

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 338
BA's suck. The ideal is a single transducer that covers the entire frequency range. This is true for IEMs, headphones and speakers. So what does a designer do? If you are in the BA world, you put in some woofers, mids and tweets. Now you have crossovers in between. Crossovers create all sorts of problems, most notably phase and amplitude misalignment. This reads out as screwed up timbre and soundstage. Now you wave your hands about V shape or U shape or some other BS. Now, don't get me wrong. Noble K10s are fun to listen to, but in no way are they accurate :)

Not all BAs are bad. It's just how they are tuned. :wink:

But they certainly aren't gonna replicate the natural sound of a good dynamic that's for sure.

As someone whom auditioned the K10U, I can definitely agree with that.

I truly love a good dynamic iem for their simplicity and sincerity on SQ reproduction, but they usually cost so much nowadays that it's hard to pull a trigger on any of them.

Last time I did was nearly on pulling the trigger to the Dita Answer but the price isn't easy to swallow to say the least.

the only other time I tested a decent dynamic was the Campfire Lyra but found it to be a bit too V shaped for my liking. And it cost a ton...

Perhaps the ADEL Drum Level 3 will end my search for a good dynamic IEM.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #23 of 338
Nov 10, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #24 of 338
Perhaps the ADEL Drum Level 3 will end my search for a good dynamic IEM.

I am thinking that the Level 3 is going to be the most accurate. The one with the BA tweeter will add high frequency noise, so called "air". If you listen to live jazz or rock, which I do, there is no air. Air is fun... but it isn't real.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 338
I am thinking that the Level 3 is going to be the most accurate. The one with the BA tweeter will add high frequency noise, so called "air". If you listen to live jazz or rock, which I do, there is no air. Air is fun... but it isn't real.

I honestly don't mind airiness as long as it ain't overdone.

Also, I probably won't go higher than level 3 since if BA extends treble too much, it might get too bright and sibilant and I am especially sensitive to piercing highs.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #26 of 338
I honestly don't mind airiness as long as it ain't overdone.

Also, I probably won't go higher than level 3 since if BA extends treble too much, it might get too bright and sibilant and I am especially sensitive to piercing highs.

Aren't we all? :) Thanks for asking the questions! I think you have helped me talk myself into saving $300! The neat thing with the tweakable diaphragm is that it allows you to change the signature, which IMHO is very, very cool.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:26 AM Post #27 of 338
Aren't we all? :) Thanks for asking the questions! I think you have helped me talk myself into saving $300! The neat thing with the tweakable diaphragm is that it allows you to change the signature, which IMHO is very, very cool.

The thing is, I am just lookin for an iem where the vocal can position directly to the center of my forehead ehich is where the singer position is supposed to be during the recording session and honestly very very few can do that level of accuracy.

But Adel drum might very well do exactly that to adjust the balance...

That will literally blow mind because that means it can easily compete against TOTL multi BA IEMs that usually cost waaaaay beyond my budget. :D

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #28 of 338
That will literally blow mind because that means it can easily compete against TOTL multi BA IEMs that usually cost waaaaay beyond my budget.
biggrin.gif

Yes! Absolutely! 100% right on! The Asius people aren't very good at explaining what they've really got. If I were to take a stab it, I would say this:

1. In the pursuit of creating the highest fidelity IEM in the world we had a stunning insight: the mere act of inserting an IEM creates an air bubble in the ear canal.
2. This bubble pre-stresses the eardrum, which makes the eardrum more nonlinear than it already is, degrading SQ, AND creating ear fatigue that will ruin your hearing in the long term.
3. After many years of research, we came up with the magic ADEL diaphragm, which eliminates the bubble, AND allows you to vary the bass level to tune the sound profile to your liking.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #29 of 338
Yes! Absolutely! 100% right on! The Asius people aren't very good at explaining what they've really got. If I were to take a stab it, I would say this:

1. In the pursuit of creating the highest fidelity IEM in the world we had a stunning insight: the mere act of inserting an IEM creates an air bubble in the ear canal.
2. This bubble pre-stresses the eardrum, which makes the eardrum more nonlinear than it already is, degrading SQ, AND ruining your hearing in the long term.
3. After many years of research, we came up with the magic ADEL diaphragm, which eliminates the bubble, AND allows you to vary the bass level to tune the sound profile to your liking.

Sounds about right I say.

After trying ADEL modules on their 1964 ears old batch I don't think I can stand listening to IEMs without them for more than 30 minutes due to ear fatigue.

Asius really knows their stuffs. And they are definitely bringing their A game here.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #30 of 338
Wow.  A Cardas A8 driver as an oem.  That's impressive.  In terms of overall cost, you save from not having to buy an amp as I found it very efficient.  Just wished it had a little more treble extension when I owned it.  I'm wondering if the added BA will fill in the void, but cuts off before sibilance kicks in.  I'm on the fence between Level 4 and 5, but I think I'll wait until impressions rolls as I was hoping for a little more early adopters discount from msrp.  Also, the housing looks like it'll stick pretty far out, which I'm not too keen about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back