Adding drivers to a single driver iem.
Sep 2, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 8
I think the choice of the driver is very important for a good synergy. You cannot just come with two iems that use three drivers (in total) and say you want an iem out of it. Like the Custom2 + the HF5 doens't look like such a a good idea.
Look: people who added a driver to their Triple Fi seemed to be happy with result, as the (recessed) midrange was brought forward. So the added driver is probably focusing on the mids (which were more or less the "problem" of the Triples). But if your drivers do not complete each other, it has no sense to put them together.
I would try to take the HF5 driver and add a bass driver to them.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 8
Im still considering reshelling 3 superfi 3........dilemma

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
One time i wore my Grados over my Etymotics. it was great.

You must have had the Grados up pretty loud with that kind of isolation underneath. I'd be scared for the hearing of those around you
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 8
hmm reshelling the superfi 3? but would it be worth it? cause i have the same dilemma of wondering whether to reshell my UM1.and was wondering would adding another driver justify the upgrade.

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I think the choice of the driver is very important for a good synergy. You cannot just come with two iems that use three drivers (in total) and say you want an iem out of it. Like the Custom2 + the HF5 doens't look like such a a good idea.
Look: people who added a driver to their Triple Fi seemed to be happy with result, as the (recessed) midrange was brought forward. So the added driver is probably focusing on the mids (which were more or less the "problem" of the Triples). But if your drivers do not complete each other, it has no sense to put them together.
I would try to take the HF5 driver and add a bass driver to them.

Absolutly true. However, I don't use the Klipsch any more and my HF5 are broken out of warranty. Before you say call Etymotic anyway, this is my second broken pair (both had the sound tube fall apart). I am considering this mostly as a fun experiment for myself. Will it work? Probably not, but I plan to have fun doing it. If I can ever find the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back