AD900 or K701 - which would you get?
Jun 11, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #136 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I said. I thought the ad2000s werent very extended. They are also brighter at the low treble than the ad900s/ad700s but... in comparison to the k701 are less bright and a little more extended since the k701s I heard had totally no extension and was bright
beerchug.gif

K701s have more high extension and are less bright compare to AD2000. That's what I said.

also, "Speed" on AD2000 is overrated. The T50RP and ER6 are faster than AD2000 or dynamic headphones in general (excluding HD800 or 010, since I've not heard them).

in the end, I may have to try AT one last time before I dismiss this brand completely.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #137 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No CD player at any price achieves better sound quality than my $250 Tascam or my $320 Cambridge.

It's funny how you say that for everything you own.
rolleyes.gif

Ignorance is bliss.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #138 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could believe that... would save a big chunk of money.

-Mike

Fortunately for you, no belief is required. It was, after all, a simple statement of fact.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #139 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fact 1: the circuit design affects transients.
Fact 2: ever heard of analog computers? they were used extensively for engineering and military applications before digital computers took over.

The post I was responding to suggested that a high-end CDP might extrapolate beyond the data on the disc. Your first fact is utterly irrelevant to that. Your second fact does not apply because analog computers were never capable of processing anywhere near that sophisticated.
As I said (and yes, I was correct the first time), only software could conceivably achieve that goal.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #140 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701s have more high extension and are less bright compare to AD2000. That's what I said.

also, "Speed" on AD2000 is overrated. The T50RP and ER6 are faster than AD2000 or dynamic headphones in general (excluding HD800 or 010, since I've not heard them).

in the end, I may have to try AT one last time before I dismiss this brand completely.

Naw, forget it. Stick with the Grados. Unless it's a Grado you don't have that much positive stuff to say about other headphones I noticed. Why bother right? Stick with your Grados.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #141 of 171
Quote:

Fortunately for you, no belief is required. It was, after all, a simple statement of fact.

You are honestly deranged.

Audio is subjective. Spending more doesn't necessarily mean better, and at the same time, not one thing sounds the best to everyone.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #142 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are honestly deranged.

Audio is subjective. Spending more doesn't necessarily mean better, and at the same time, not one thing sounds the best to everyone.

Proponents of the 701 would have him spending more.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #143 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Proponents of the 701 would have him spending more.

If you were referring to Mike, he actually has a heck of a rig to accompany his K701.
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #144 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were referring to Mike, he actually has a heck of a rig to accompany his K701.
beerchug.gif

I am referring to the OP.

Headphone Inventory
12/08-1/09: HD555

1/09-present: AD700

2/09-3/09: K701

3/09-present: RX700
Headphone Amp Inventory
UB802 mixer, rarely used
Source Inventory
Macbook, iPod
Cable Inventory
LOL.
Gear-Fi (Favorite Non-Audio Gear & Gadgets)
cameras, instruments, bicycles...

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #145 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spending more doesn't necessarily mean better.

Correct. In the case of CD players, spending more definitely doesn't mean better!

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #146 of 171
Quote:

Correct. In the case of CD players, spending more definitely doesn't mean better!

Yes but in retrospective, not one thing sounds the best to everyone like you like to put on.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #147 of 171
FWIW, as a newbie, I actually agree with a lot of olblueyez logic, particularly in this thread - even if I dont necessarily agree with a lot of his sentiments re the 701. The point is that he doesnt simply say '701s bad, bad headphone' - some others do.

intoart, can I ask you :

- how long did you persist with burn-in on the 701s ? How many hours do you estimate they had on them when you sold them ?

- for my benefit, what sources/amps were you using ?

I have made my own criticisms of the exacting needs of the higher-end AKGs clear in a couple of other threads, but the difference is that I am prepared to persist through the (exorbitant!) burn-in period to see what difference it will make, instead of assuming that the sound out of the box is exactly what they will sound like after 200 hours.

estreeter

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #149 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, as a newbie, I actually agree with a lot of olblueyez logic, particularly in this thread - even if I dont necessarily agree with a lot of his sentiments re the 701. The point is that he doesnt simply say '701s bad, bad headphone' - some others do.

he's done it plenty of times.

Yes, the 701 sucks. It wont even be going down hill, more like falling off a cliff.

701 sounds like the music is comming from a tin can and the tip is missing from the pedal on the kick drum. It is truelu amazing how much the 701 sucks.

AKG K701 OMG what a piece of junk!!!

etc etc.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #150 of 171
Quote:

People with 701s seem to take everything personal. The guy has no amp, and that makes the 701 a NON OPTION. Here is another example of my recommendations about the 701. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hel...1/#post5753649 People read stuff and come away with only the things they want to hear.

Yeah, I hate the 701's big deal, tthe difference between me and you dcpoor is I recommend what I beleive the OP would enjoy and you recommend what you own and completely ignore the needs of the OP. I tell it like it is. No BS, no hurt feelings because someone insulted my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back