AD700 with 75ohm adapter Impressions
Mar 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a 75ohm adapter I've been using with my er4ps. I decided to experiment with it using with my ad700s on my little dot mkI, and wow. I get the same results as with my er4ps. The soundstage is wider, the highs are more extended, and there's more air and separation between instruments. Bass is even a little more refined. Surprising results to say the least. These were already very good cans for the money. Now they're an even greater value. I wonder if anyone else had tried this with their cans?

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 22
Yeah you get my "genius" sticker for the day. I wasn't expecting much because I originally bought the resistor for my Goldring Dr150s but I hated that combo.

This is f'in brilliant. The change is very subtle on the AD2000. It becomes a tiny bit less forward which opens the sound stage up ever so slightly. Because of this added bit of openness, more details are evident. This is a really nice sound. I think anybody who owns a pair of AD2000s should try them with a 75 ohm resistor.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect this positive transformation would apply to some other headphones as well.

Can anyone confirm that I have this correct? The 75 Ohm resistor adds resistance to the resistance of the headphones? For example, 75 Ohms + Ohms rating of headphones = total resistance.

Yeah, that's right. Remember that headphones have a complex impedance and for that reason putting a resistor in front of them will change their frequency response. This is one reason it is often preferred to have a very low output impedance on an amp.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect this positive transformation would apply to some other headphones as well.

Can anyone confirm that I have this correct? The 75 Ohm resistor adds resistance to the resistance of the headphones? For example, 75 Ohms + Ohms rating of headphones = total resistance.

It should but the results are probably hit or miss. Like I said, this same resistor I am using made my DR150s sound like trash.

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 22
I just tried this with my dt770/80s. Well first of all I have a ming da mc84 c07 tube amp. It's a very nice amp, but it only shines with high impedance headphones. It hums with low impedance cans, So this didn't mate well with my 770/80s. I know of others who love this amp with their 250ohm beyers. So I just tried it with my 770/80s + 75ohm adapter. Now my beyers sing. The bass is a lot less bloated. Mids are still recessed but not as much. There's still a little hum, but now I can actually enjoy them with this amp. I was previously only using my hd580, and sextetts with this amp. This adapter can be ordered with different impedances. Now I'm considering ordering a 200ohm version just to use with my beyers. I wounder if that would make them sound anywhere close to the 250ohm version of the dt770/pro. The impedance of the ad700s + 75ohm adapter is still to low to use with my ming da, but they sound excellent out of my little dot mkI and my motu 828 though. This probably won't work well with a lot of headphones. But for some, this may be a nice improvement.

Oh yeah, Thanks ciphercomplete for the kind words.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 22
It definitely wouldn't hurt to try. I'm going to get a 200ohm to go with my dt770/80. I'll also try it with my ad700. Since the 75ohm is a good match, a 300ohm might be over doing it. But it's only 22.50. So it's definitely worth a try.

Mar 11, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 22
Do you think this would help the closed-back brother A700?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back