AD700 harshness?
May 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KONAKONA

Banned
So I got my AD700s in today and decided to listen to them during the burn in, but something has got me worried, that would be the nasty peak around 8khz. Right around the sibilance frequency, the highs are extremely harsh and some might even say painful.

In fact right now they sound a lot what I would have expected grados to sound like, bass shy and rather harsh in the highs. I got my MS-1s in a few days ago and they are silky smooth in comparison. (And rather warm as well)

So my question is, is this going to go away during burn in? At this rate I might end up not keeping them for long, although I need to do a few rounds of L4D without music to really test the soundstage first though..

[size=xx-small](Oh, for kicks I played my sibilance test song, and it just plain hurt.)[/size]

May 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 17
I would be glad to trade them off your hands.
wink.gif

May 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 17
Not quite yet, although if you really want them I might be able to let them go....

For 400$.

Ninja Edit: Sibilance seems to be decreasing slightly. Something I've noticed about these is that unlike the MS1s, they don't sound like poo if you cover up the back of the headphone.

I might be listening to these tonight.
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 17
I got mine second hand, but for what its worth, AD700's are probably the least offensive cans that I've ever heard. I have experienced no sibilance whatsoever personally and everything is just laid back and wide.

May 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 17
For what it's worth, I started out my dac/amp journey with an iBasso D2 Boa and that little thing was the brightest and most silibant amp ever when paired with the D2000 and as a DAC for my Stax.

May 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 17
I have a few, but the one I used was Fallen Angel by DJ Weaver from bonkers volume 12 (Disk one if you must)

The particular copy I have is also 128kbps, so it gets extremely sibilant, although it is tolerable on some cans....

@moonboy: I've heard that the d2 does much better with different opamps (and caps as well?). Might wanna look into that.

May 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few, but the one I used was Fallen Angel by DJ Weaver from bonkers volume 12 (Disk one if you must)

The particular copy I have is also 128kbps, so it gets extremely sibilant, although it is tolerable on some cans....

@moonboy: I've heard that the d2 does much better with different opamps (and caps as well?). Might wanna look into that.

The D2's long gone. The one that's able to do opamp rolling is the D1 Viper I believe.

May 29, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just A/B'd it against my HD600, noticed no difference in sibilance whatsoever. I'm listening to it in 192kbps wma though.

May 29, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 17
They've been burning in overnight and during the bit of today that I was out, the bass seems to have improved slightly, but it's still got a lot of sizzle on symbols and what not. I've been working with the fit and I think a bit of the harshness is due to my rather small head.
frown.gif

Anyway, I'm gonna try and keep them on 24/7 use for the next few days (maybe even a week?) before I come to any conclusions. Even with the sound like this, I still like them though.

Might end up selling my Q40s. . . .

May 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 17
I just listened to fallen angel on youtube hq on my 2wk old ad700s and I have no silibance. the vocals are extremely clear. I admit the beat at 2:00 is very harsh and buzzy, but I think it is a fault of the synth or recording equipment, not the phones. the ad's are just doing their best to reproduce a not very pleasant sound that lesser headphones don't reveal.

May 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Ok so I hunted down the song on youtube (The HQ one) and the vocals still have that awful sibilance on my AD700s (as well as all of my other cans as well.)

Synth sounds darn good on it though, the symbols are a bit sizzle-ish (Something that my other cans don't do that much) but that bit is OK...

Maybe my ears are sensitive to sibilance?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back