Aug 22, 2013 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Amitl

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

i'm sorry for being such a noob but i've got a question:
i have a pair of active speakers (Microlab Solo6) and
a PC with an integrated sound chip.
in order to get acceptable volume i must turn the speakers' volume
almost all the way up, plus there's no headphone jack.
i'm looking for a cheap option to boost up the SQ plus give me a
headphone jack.
i'm looking for specific recommendations...maybe Fiio E10?

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 5
You likely have three ways of controlling the volume

1) The volume controls on the back of your speakers
2) The main Windows system volume
3) Your media player volume

If two of those are all the way up, and then you have to turn up the last almost all the way, you've likely reached the limit of your speakers. Trying to find some way to boost the input levels to them even more by using a headphone amp will (a) result in double amping, decreasing the SQ, and (b) push the speaker amps to clipping, making them sound worse and potentially damaging them.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 5
If you want more volume, you need better speakers that get louder.

If you just want better SQ, then get a better DAC. If you want to go with a DAC/headphone amp, to use your speakers, you need a separate line out or pre-amp out that is not the same plug as the headphone jack.

Personally, I'd save up a good more. The E10 may or may not give you much of an improvement for your speakers. Depends on how bad your computer audio output is.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 5
No. Adding amplification to the line out on your PC going to powered speakers is a bad idea.

Audio gear is designed to meet accepted standards. With ordinary consumer grade equipment this is -10dBV. Read about it here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level Your PC line out should peak at this level if you have all gain controls set to unity. That is usually 100% and allows bit perfect playback. The output from your PC becomes the input to the powered speakers. Anything more powerful than standard consumer line input from your DAC will usually cause your amp to 'clip' or distort on peaks.

The Solo's claim to be capable of 50W/channel RMS and if this is insufficient for your needs you need a more powerful amp and/or bigger speakers. Either that or you need to check your app levels again or the line level output is substandard.

Consider buying one of the many inexpensive audio interfaces to accompany your speakers. If you already own a good quality modern board the increase in SQ will be small to negligible but you usually get several other convenient benefits. A close at hand physical volume control, a separate headphone out with gain control, some isolation from potential ground loops and a comprehensive EQ and effects package. Additional inputs and outputs are also very handy and don't add much to the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back