Acoustic Zen MC2 - best digital interconnect in this price range?
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

korzena

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a good digital interconnect up to around $300.
I've gone through numerous reviews/opinions/personal impressions and encountered different good cables, however one of them - Acoustic Zen MC2, stucked out for me, because of:

-good dynamics
-deep and wide soundstage
-naturalness and musicality

...the exact things I am looking for in digital interconnect. 

However I've also heard that this interconnect can be a bit lean sounding, which is not good! 

Please share your impressions of AZ MC2 or recommend another digital cable within that price range that will provide me the above-mentioned features.

Thank you!

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 40
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 40

Quote:
I don't what nonsense you've been reading but thats a load of rubbish, the important specs with a coax cable are 75ohms , low resistance keep it to the shortest lenght possible, id recommend this 1 http://www.bettercables.com/digital-coax-silver-serpent-anniversary-edition.aspx or the Supra Trico Digital Coaxial Cable these are the best a coax cable can get or http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm , there all sound the same completly transparent.

This 'nonsense' is spread all over the web:)
Actually I have the digital cable from Blue Jeans and I like it especially for dynamics and sound weight, but it sounds a bit grainy and I know it is not optimal digital cable in my system as I have already tried better digital interconnects and they gave me better sound.
Hence I am looking for a worthy but not very expensive upgrade (I need BNC--BNC).

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 40
How long is the cable? , it shouldn't add or take away anything from the sound I think the differences you are hearing are placebo or some other effect, the bluejeans cable should be fine I use the same Belden 1694A for my aerial lead theres nothing wrong with it. The http://www.supracables.co.uk/digitalaudiocables/trico-digital.html is avaible with BNC connectors it's also techincally better than the belden.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 40
I use 1.5 metres long BJC cable.
This is not placebo, I've tested a few different interconnects and I could hear the difference in sound, especially when used interconnect with some silver in it.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out.

Quote:
How long is the cable? , it shouldn't add or take away anything from the sound I think the differences you are hearing are placebo or some other effect, the bluejeans cable should be fine I use the same Belden 1694A for my aerial lead theres nothing wrong with it. The http://www.supracables.co.uk/digitalaudiocables/trico-digital.html is avaible with BNC connectors it's also techincally better than the belden.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 40
1.5metres isnt long enough to run into resistance problems, I don't think it matters what you buy to replace the belden longs it within in spec 75ohm and reasonably low resistance, I think you should just keep the belden and find a better use for the money.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 40

Quote:
1.5metres isnt long enough to run into resistance problems, I don't think it matters what you buy to replace the belden longs it within in spec 75ohm and reasonably low resistance, I think you should just keep the belden and find a better use for the money.

What would be the preferable minimum length of digital interconnect in your opinion?

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 40
I've just realized I misunderstood your last post. You meant 1.5m is short enough, not to worry about resistance problems. I initially thought you were referring to the concept of the ideal length of digital interconnect according to which the cable should be at least 1.5 meters or more long. This is connected with reflections problem. However this theory is not supported by everyone and lots of known cable manufacturers have their standard length of digital interconnects of 1 meter, so they seem not to buy into this idea.

As I stated before, I can hear differences in sound between different digital interconnects. Some of them sound more dynamic, some produce a bit grainy sound, some are more spacious than others. Maybe the cost/benefit ratio is smaller in case of digital interconnects compared to other components of audio chain, but I still think one should take care of these, too, if one wants to get the optimal sound from the system.

So I would like to repeat my question to people who think that digital interconnect is something worth investing.

What digital interconnect (up around to around $300) can give me:
-good dynamics
-deep and wide soundstage
-naturalness and musicality

Thank you!

Quote:
What would be the preferable minimum length of digital interconnect in your opinion?

Quote:

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 40
In my opinion you just don't have enough experience with cables, otherwise you wouldn't say this.
Anyway, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion and I am OK with yours.
I don't want to get into this kind of discussion.

Really looking forward to get some more recommendations!

Quote:
Ones are ones and zeroes are zeroes. How can a 1 be grainier than another 1? Is it a 1.02? Sorry, I don't think it's your cable.

Jan 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 40
I can only say that I use Nordost Silver-plated Blue Heavens which was recommended to me because of it's detail. With my gear, I have a warm, engaging sound that envelopes me in the song. Everything but badly-recorded material sounds great. Sometimes the treble is high but I believe that's the song itself. It's currently on sale...

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3853-nordost-blue-heaven-interconnects-pr.aspx

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 40

Quote:
I can only say that I use Nordost Silver-plated Blue Heavens which was recommended to me because of it's detail. With my gear, I have a warm, engaging sound that envelopes me in the song. Everything but badly-recorded material sounds great. Sometimes the treble is high but I believe that's the song itself. It's currently on sale...

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3853-nordost-blue-heaven-interconnects-pr.aspx

Hi Deverica Wolf,
Thank you for the recommendation and the link to the great offer!
I remember reading that Nordost can be a bit bright and etched. For sure, it's very system dependent, however I better not risk with anything being even close to bright and it would hurt my ears in my system.
Anyway, I am going to read more about this specific model. Thank you!

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:
Ones are ones and zeroes are zeroes. How can a 1 be grainier than another 1? Is it a 1.02? Sorry, I don't think it's your cable.

Digital audio travels as a wave down the cable not 1's & 0's , the cables resistance can have affects on jitter by attenuating the highest frequencies , but for this to be audiable the resistance would have to be extremly high and the run of cable 10metres + , with a 1.5metre with the resistance of the belden cable theres nothing to worry about the cable is more than good enough for the job and theres nothing to gain from replacing it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #14 of 40
Any more recommendations for a good digital interconnect up to $300?

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 40
I know you're not here for the cable-discussion but seriously man, we're just looking out for you. I mean, it's your money and all but do consider reconsidering! :) Spend that hard earned cash on something worth it. 

You do realize someone could just braid a fancy sleeve over a $30 Monoprice cable, add some carbon-looking connectors, give it a fancy name and sell it to you for $300 right? I swear, if you tell people a magic cable will make their setup "more musical" they'll believe it, but only if the price is high enough. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back