Acoustic Research UA1 v NAD D1050
Aug 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Wasn't sure where to post this as they are both an amp and a DAC, but here goes...

I'm fancying an upgrade on the ancient Beresford DAC I'm currently using along with a cheap Behringer headphone amp.

I'm using Yamaha MT220s as my headphones. They show a clear difference when driven from the DAC or from Behringer.

I like a nice detailed, exciting, fast, punchy sound.

I mostly listen to trance, psy-trance, but also pop, rock, 80s and 90s stuff and some chill.

I'm leaning towards the UA1 in a way. Its smaller so will fit better on my desk, and doesn't have the same issue with the volume knob as the NAD. It makes big claims for its headphone output. The NAD doesn't seem to hype it as much. It is mains powered I assume unlike the UA1, so maybe that will help it in some way?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Love to know what you bought? hope it was the UA1as that slaughters the NAD on SQ - Cheers Robert 

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 6
  Love to know what you bought? hope it was the UA1as that slaughters the NAD on SQ - Cheers Robert 

Having owned the D1050 for a while and used it with HD650's, T1's, K701's and several other phones, I'd be surprised if UA1 can hold a candle to the NAD. It's a very good DAC and very good amplifier for the money.

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 6

Having owned the D1050 for a while and used it with HD650's, T1's, K701's and several other phones, I'd be surprised if UA1 can hold a candle to the NAD. It's a very good DAC and very good amplifier for the money.

Glad you like what you've bought. Shame you did not get e chance to try the AR. Enjoy!

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 6

Hi,

Do you know if this will drive Beyer T1 and Audeze lcd 2 with good authority?

Thanks

Yes it will, lots of clean power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back