Acoustic Research M2 Audiophile-Grade Hi-Res Portable
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #18 of 2,162
Wish it were an inch shorter. There was a post here about how Apple lost it with the Ipod because thy do movies etc. Why use a screen made for movies on a dedicated music player if the result is that footprint? I'm not an Apple guy but at least I get that Apple got it pretty right with their phones, pads and pods. When you're always the one brought up in comparisons, you're likely doing something right. The m2 would be a lot more pocketable if it were shorter, even if it had to be fatter to compensate. Like the info and established member comments. Hope it sings but this thread seems to be driven by a bit of PR. I'll check the other thread but nothing i've read here says it should threaten the AKs. Hope it does and for less money but lets wait until somebody known hears one before we go there.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #19 of 2,162
^ Well there havent been any proper impressions yet, but seeing as M2 is using an interesting current based solution from dac through to amp, seemingly well implemented PCM1794A and TPA6120A, and has significantly more power output than the AK's, the AK's definitely seem to have a very worthy rival in the M2.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #20 of 2,162
I think you mean pcm1794A which is the current flagship. I'd be really excited if it had a pcm1704 and some top proprietary input clocking and filter though that's too much to ask for in a DAP. Still good to have new things shooting for the top. If it's good enough, size will likely not be a problem for most. I'm curious as to how they're doing the volume control. I would prefer it be somewhere other than DAC controlled if as high gain as described. I suspect that's the case.
smile.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #22 of 2,162
  I think you mean pcm1794A which is the current flagship. I'd be really excited if it had a pcm1704 and some top proprietary input clocking and filter though that's too much to ask for in a DAP. Still good to have new things shooting for the top. If it's good enough, size will likely not be a problem for most. I'm curious as to how they're doing the volume control. I would prefer it be somewhere other than DAC controlled if as high gain as described. I suspect that's the case.
smile.gif

Pretty sure that is a 1704 in the first pic...Hopes it sounds like a Naim! (who use 1704s in their flagship Dac and Streamers).

regards,

Giles

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #25 of 2,162
^ All I know is TI actually specifically says the PCM1704 should be used in dual mono, I doubt any respected audio company would produce a single PCM1704 implementation going against TI's recommendation.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #26 of 2,162
  ^ Nah its a 1794, I also thought it was a 1704 on first look, but that's not even possible as the 1704 is a mono dac chip and two must be used, along with a separate filter.

I stand corrected (goes to corner, puts on dunce cap). Still looks interesting, hope it makes it to Oz sooner rather than later.

regards,

Giles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back