Acoustic Guitar
Feb 24, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #31 of 36
BTW, John Williams in "The Guitarist" ... The Koyunbaba Suite .. is weird tuning ... weird tune... however great.. one of the most famous modern guitar music (modern mean recently in time not style) ... it is also great for non-guitarist ...

Though for Koyunbaba itself I think I like one by Antigoni Goni Laurate series .. I think.. NAXOS ..

Also.. zowie... Fisk on 24 caprices .. are nicely done... though if you like what in Ithak Pearlman .... or original violin version ... it may be a chace that .... it may be love hate type thing... anyway though caprice 24th ... is suited on guitar ..several recorded it.

Feb 25, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Nattapong
Also.. zowie... Fisk on 24 caprices .. are nicely done... though if you like what in Ithak Pearlman .... or original violin version ... it may be a chace that .... it may be love hate type thing... anyway though caprice 24th ... is suited on guitar ..several recorded it.

I agree - one should think of them as almost completely different pieces when arranged for guitar and liking one may not be indicative of liking the other.

Btw, I don't really like Perlman's recording that much. In fact, I have found Perlman disappointing on a number of occassions.

Feb 25, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #34 of 36
Same here... I didn't really like Pearlman treatment in overall 24 caprices that much. However, I found that I enjoy it more after I have him perform live. It probably brought me back to that wonderful concert. (He did 24th for encore)

Nicola Hall (guitarist) plays one of the best gutiar version of 24th caprice ... in her CD virtuoso.

As a matter of fact, the best treatment to this particular Paganini caprice ... I think from everthing available out there... guitar, violin... .. it turns out that I like something totally far from original .. Yeah.. right! Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on the Theme of Paganini .. Previn, Ashkenazy, London Symphony Orch.

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #36 of 36
For something a little more fun i would recommend the pickin' on series by CMH records. The music is great and the recordings are top notch, a joy to listen to on headphones. The do bluegrass renditions of classics by the dead, lynard skynard, zz top, stevie ray vaughn, the black crowes etc. it's real fun to hear through your up front phones like 325's and is a great when you're not looking for anything to serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back