Acoustic Guitar Instrumental Albums
May 11, 2008 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

mrdeadfolx

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, Im looking for recommendations for vocal-less acoustic guitar albums. The two best examples I can think of off the top of my head are Michael Hedges' Aerial Boundaries and Buckethead's Colma. What albums am I missing out on? Thanks in advance - Jordan

May 11, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 55
Pat Metheny - One quiet night is sheer headphone candy.

Leo Kottke has many great albums, I enjoyed " 6 and 12 string guitar"

You might also find several albums on the Windham Hill label, with players like Alex de Grassi, William Ackerman and Michael Hedges who you mentioned.
Windham Hill Records - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preston Reid is another player I've been meaning to check out.

May 11, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 55
51DsNf6-SHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Friday Night in San Francisco

May 11, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pat Metheny - One quiet night is sheer headphone candy.

Oh, I forgot about that one musicmind. I like that album a bunch. Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 55
Lots of recommendations over this thread. But if you like Aerial Boundaries, then you may consider the works of Alex DeGrassi (such as The Water Garden; shame that his large Windham Hill catalog has been deleted). Also, American Acoustic by Eric Tingstad and Nancy Rumbel is an accomplished take on American folk styles with guitar and woodwinds.

Also, if you like Americana, then Peter Lang's The Thing at the Nursery Window is simply amazing.

May 11, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leo Kottke has many great albums, I enjoyed " 6 and 12 string guitar"

Ah, I came in here to recommend that. Seconded!

kottke_6and12f.jpg

Bought it because it looked interesting and was instantly hooked. It's available on SACD if you're into that.

May 11, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 55
x3 on Leo Kottke, only my favorite is "My Feet Are Smiling".

While this is not solo acoustic guitar, I can highly -- HIGHLY -- recommend the Jerry Douglas (Dobro guitar)/Russ Barenberg (6 string)/Edgar Meyer (upright bass) album "Skip, Hop, & Wobble". Yeah I know the album name is dumb, but the music is just gorgeously melodic, and the playing is virtuosic when it needs to be and just beautiful throughout.

EDIT:

This is an example of the "New Acoustic" music that has roots in bluegrass, blues, jazz, Americana and classical music -- in varying proportions, depending on the artists.

EDIT:

Another "holy crap" album: "Not Too Far From the Tree", an album of acoustic guitar duets by Bryan Sutton and most of the best bluegrass pickers in the world. Whew.

EDIT:

If you like jazz, you might want to know that the astonishing Frank Vignola has a solo album in sort of a modernized gypsy-jazz vein. All played on a Selmer, so it's got "the sound". Joe Pass also recorded a whole SERIES of virtuosic, solo jazz guitar albums that are well worthwhile.

May 11, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 55
Bill Frisell, Mark Ribot, Tim Sparks: Masada Guitars (about one third electric or effected)
Tim Sparks: Neshamah (but try Masada Guitars first!)
Egberto Gismonti: Danca dos Escravos

May 11, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 55
How about...

John Fahey - The Great Santa Barbara Oil Slick

38497f.jpg

It's a terrific album.

Also, for something different why not consider some flamenco?

Paco De Lucia - Siroco

54520f.jpg

Or some nuevo flamenco such as:

Gerardo Nuñez - Calima

54508f.jpg

Or maybe...

Rodrigo y Gabriela

54531f.jpg

or even Segovia....

Lot's of great acoustic guitar albums in several genres from which to choose.

--Jerome

May 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back