Acid Jazz Recommendations?
Apr 5, 2007 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rlanger

Headphoneus Supremus
Since joining Head-fi, I have been exposed to some great music, but most of it in genres that I'm already familiar with.

I'm a big jazz fan. Been listening to jazz for over 20 years now. But, I must say I don't really know anything about acid jazz.

I've checked out Jaga Jazzist and Revolution Void (are they even acid jazz? Not sure) on recommendations from other head-fiers and liked it. So please help me discover some great acid jazz.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 22
I don't know if they qualify as "acid jazz" per se, but St. Germain's "Tourist" is an amazing CD that sounds an awful lot like acid jazz anyway. Lots of texture and rhythm on it.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 22
Jaga Jazzist is pretty awesome.

I don't know if this classifies as "Acid Jazz" probably not. I've heard it referred to "Death Jazz," but I know that people dig it.

http://www.keikaku.net/reviews/70

Soil & 'Pimp' Sessions etc.

This isn't really jazz but Toe and Natsumen are pretty amazing instrumental groups too.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 22
I'm not sure what the definition of Acid jazz is, Archipelago is one CD that I always like to turn people on to. It a trio of bassoon, accordion, and percussion playing everything from bop to Bartok to Stairway to Heaven. It is truly a unique album and currently one of my favorites.

Samples can be heard on allmusic.com

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 22
Greyboy, Greyboy All Stars, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Galactic, Brand New Heavies, New Mastersounds, Robert Walters to name a few.

Happy listening
600smile.gif

Apr 5, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by R_burke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Greyboy, Greyboy All Stars, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Galactic, Brand New Heavies, New Mastersounds, Robert Walters to name a few.

Happy listening
600smile.gif

If these are acid jazz, I'd also add Garage a Trois, Charlie Hunter and T. J. Kirk.

Apr 5, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 22
Mark Farina
Squarepusher
Jazzanova
Saint Germain
Koop
Jaga Jazzist
Dj Krush
Dj Cam

This is a pretty vague sub-genre, but I think all of these fit. And, if not, they are all atleast pretty awesome regardless

Apr 6, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one's mentioned Herbie Han****'s Headhunters?

Thats more fusion jazz isn't? Funk and jazz crossed-over. wth is acid jazz anyway?

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats more fusion jazz isn't? Funk and jazz crossed-over. wth is acid jazz anyway?

I think Headhunters is supposed to be one of the early acid jazz records. As I understand it, acid jazz is jazz with a more 'acid' beat; ie employing elements of disco, funk and soul.

Didn't realise Herbie Han****'s name would get *-ed.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Taken from Rhapsody
Description of Acid Jazz

Quote:

Acid Jazz refers to a conglomeration of danceable, groove-oriented musical styles that share the influences of Soul Jazz, Jazz-Funk, hip-hop, and Latin Jazz. In contrast to the majority of 1990s dance music, Acid Jazz most often takes the form of a live band, commonly featuring a rhythm section, organ, horns, and vocals. The music started in the 1980s, when British club culture became fascinated with American Soul Jazz of the 1960s and Jazz-Funk of the 1970s, all of which they called "rare groove." These sounds inspired a group of musicians and producers, who began creating music in a similar vein. In 1991, the Brand New Heavies, with their melding of Jazz-Funk and hip-hop styles, became the first of the new bands to achieve commercial success, and more was soon to follow, with the irresistible pop-Funk of Jamiroquai and the jazzy hip-hop grooves of Galliano. Americans soon rediscovered this style from the British; Acid Jazz scenes in New York and San Francisco produced the Funk-drenched supergroup Groove Collective and the genre-bending groove band Slide Five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back