accurate/neutral IEM in the $200 range
Jan 2, 2008 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

modusmortis

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an accurate/neutral IEM in the $200 range. Closer to $200 would be better, but higher is okay if the performance increase is large enough to justify it.

I don't plan on using an EQ, DSP, etc. I will probably use it 30% of the time with a mobile player and 70% of the time with a fixed source. I'm not too concerned if quality decreases when I'm using it with a mobile player.

From searching these forums, I've seen the Ety ER-4S/P and q-Jays mentioned several times as being neutral, so I have mainly focused on these two, but I am open to suggestions.

I've read that common complaints with the Etys are not enough bass, and that the q-Jay is almost as good as the Ety at highs/mids with more bass. I'm not looking for more or less bass relative to the mids/highs. It should be balanced. How do the Etys and q-jays compare in this regard?

Also, are there other IEMs I should consider?

Thanks,
MM.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #5 of 19
I ordered a pair of q-JAYS

They looks so nice
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 19
The ER4S, hands down. It sounds nearly identical to a studio monitor.

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 19
IM716 or ETY ER4 if their sound signatures are the same. I'm listening to the IM716 at this moment and it sounds surprisingly close to the UE10.
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 19
ety sounds good but neutral? i have never heard a studio monitor have such small bass response. i loved the illusion of quick response it had but really, as for nuetral, it must be beyond neutral, and exist in a element of ultra neutral where there is no bass.

if you go to a concert and record from the soundboard and hear from speakers and get pounded in the chest by bass then listen at home from the ety, you will get a completely different sound. they are very aimed toward fast reponse that is shaped by an overly excited treble.

i love them for it but i would call them anything but neutral.

Apr 6, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #13 of 19
I heard the q-Jays, Er6i and Er4P today.

The ER6i sounds slightly thin and lacked detail compared to the q-Jays. The Er4P, on the other hand, trounced the two of them in terms of not only detail, but overall clarity, refinement and accuracy. The q-Jays do sound slightly warmer though still neutral compared to numerous other IEMs I've heard. I must say I was very impressed with the q-Jays. It is so compact, sounds so good and priced so reasonably that I very, very nearly bought a pair on the spot.

I would also throw in the Westone UM-1, which I also had the pleasure of auditioning. These single driver wonders perform at around the same level as the Er6i. I personally found them slightly bassier but not as detailed. It isn't as neutral as the three aforementioned IEMs, but it is compared to its more bass-orientated, rich-sounding brother the UM-2.

Although I haven't heard the im716, I have owned the very similar im616. I haven't compared it directly with any other IEM, but if my memory serves me correctly, it sounded pretty much like a pair of Etymotics. (as expected!)

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard the q-Jays, Er6i and Er4P today.

The ER6i sounds slightly thin and lacked detail compared to the q-Jays. The Er4P, on the other hand, trounced the two of them in terms of not only detail, but overall clarity, refinement and accuracy. The q-Jays do sound slightly warmer though still neutral compared to numerous other IEMs I've heard. I must say I was very impressed with the q-Jays. It is so compact, sounds so good and priced so reasonably that I very, very nearly bought a pair on the spot.

I would also throw in the Westone UM-1, which I also had the pleasure of auditioning. These single driver wonders perform at around the same level as the Er6i. I personally found them slightly bassier but not as detailed. It isn't as neutral as the three aforementioned IEMs, but it is compared to its more bass-orientated, rich-sounding brother the UM-2.

Although I haven't heard the im716, I have owned the very similar im616. I haven't compared it directly with any other IEM, but if my memory serves me correctly, it sounded pretty much like a pair of Etymotics. (as expected!)

Good comparison of the 3! thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back