AC powered amp for my hd555 phones
Jan 29, 2006 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
New to this forum Im looking for an AC powered plug in amp(Dont like Batteries) for my sennheiser hd555 headphones.Does such an product exist?Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks Matt

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 9
I think there's the new go-vibe V4 that can take power from both adapter or rechargeable battery.
And you should look PocketAmp2 Version2 from Gary too. It has internal charging circuit so you don't need to use external charger. And it lasts long about 100 hours per charging.

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 9
The Go-Vibe 4 is the cheapest option. And it sounds pretty good too. I have HD-555's and the new Go-Vibe with AD8397 op-amp. You'll be happy with that combo.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 9
pocket amp 2 version 2 that was also recommended is cheaper than go vibe based on price i was just quoted.Has anyone used this since it seems to offer all i need but i dont know how well it would work with the hd555?

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
op amp ad8397-Sorry for newbie reply but what is this.does it come with go vibe amp or is it something else that must be purchased?

It's an option you can choose instead of the standard OP285GS op-amp in the vibe direct from Norm (the go-vibe builder) so you don't have to source it from elsewhere. It does cost $8 in addition to the go-vibe price tag though. And if you choose the AD8397, then you cannot swap to other op-amps as the 8397 has to be soldered directly to the PCB instead of socketed, which would allow manual switching. Using different op-amp chips can change the sound signature of your amp. tangent has some information about this here.

The AD8397 is a new op-amp chip from Analog Devices that is impressing audiophiles and amp builders. Xin Feng uses it in his acclaimed line of amplifiers.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

pocket amp 2 version 2 that was also recommended is cheaper than go vibe based on price i was just quoted.Has anyone used this since it seems to offer all i need but i dont know how well it would work with the hd555?

Right.. sorry. Forgot that the PA2V2 has a battery charger. That would be cheaper then. It'll probably work fine with the HD555. there are quite a few threads on the PA2V2 though, someone is bound to have the 555 and PA2V2 combo.

Quote:

op amp ad8397-Sorry for newbie reply but what is this.does it come with go vibe amp or is it something else that must be purchased?

Like Borat said. I included it since it is makes a difference in the sound. Since you'll be using the amp as a desktop amp, you'd probably want that option. It is supposed to sound the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back