Abyss AB-1266 TC vs HiFiman Susvara POLL

Please choose if you can only keep one:

• Total voters
Dec 20, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #61 of 105
Am referring to sound comparison across different speaker and headphone amps for AHB2 apart from ergonomics at least the ones he tested and demo with the Susvara. Like frequency response, tonality, imaging & staging or other technicalities. Basically only low end is emphasis. Am referring to comparison to specific speaker amps as well.
Would recommend just reading the entire Susvara thread. Its literally the second most talked about topic, other than the headphones themselves.

Mar 23, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #64 of 105
I went for the 1266tc first but I'm saving for a susvara :wink:
I made the same plan (moving from the Empyrean, to the Elite, then to the Abyss 1266TC), and the Susvaras just came last week. Have you gotten there yet?

I'm doing my first back-and-forth comparison, the Susvara having just arrived last week. They're being drive by a Holo may KTE (one of the most dramatically different and better non-source, non-speaker components I've ever heard.

I am very positive about the Bryston 3.14 DAC, and have loved its performance for nearly a year; however, the May KTE is a whole different category, perhaps due to its unique resistor-ladder technology and huge power supplies - but of course because its a drawing-board design by a very creative engineer.

I had used Schiit electronics prior, and was very pleased with the Gungnir and Yggy....but the Bryston bested them by the same margin, despite the cone national chip-based conversion. All the groove, punch, musical and spatial detail, with far greater transparency. The May KTE is just a different beast, and is really that good. Utterly tactile, texture, force/rhythm, the inner details of the silence and space itself, a richer and subtler envelope of tone, timbre, harmonics, and dynamics. I'm just blown away by what it does for both sets of headphones, even bringing out their unique characteristics all the more clearly.

My impressions of the two sets of headphones are pretty consistent with the reputation. Both first-rate soundstage and image specificity as well as dimension (the obvious way in which the saxophone is heard as a three dimensional thing with complex sound coming through it); tremendous detail retrieval...

...the Abyss more illuminated, leaner (the relatively recessed midrange - satisfying in its full timbal, harmonic palette, but less emphasis on the fat and luxury of the midrange), with modestly deeper and tonally complex controlled, but more impactful bass.

...The Susvara equally detailed, richer, with more attention to caressing the ear with the bloom and hue of sheer pleasurable SOUND...yet, there is nothing emphasized, no inaccuracy or euphony, in the stereotypical sense which risks sacrificing truth and accuracy for extra sugar and fat.There's is a kind of impossible best of both worlds thing about the Susvara, which may make it my go-to by just a slim margin. But, if I can manage to keep them, I wouldn't want to do without the sheer impressiveness and satisfying impact which lends a great mix of palpable rhythm and transparency.

Mar 23, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #65 of 105
TC. Never liked the Susvara. It taught me one thing though, that we all have our own opinions in this hobby because I was so "sure" that the TC is better. Despite not liking the Susvara, since so many do adore it, I respect the headphone for that reason though.

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #67 of 105
TC. Never liked the Susvara. It taught me one thing though, that we all have our own opinions in this hobby because I was so "sure" that the TC is better. Despite not liking the Susvara, since so many do adore it, I respect the headphone for that reason though.
First, all respect for taste! I made very certain that I wasn't aspiring to these two cans (Susvara and Abyss) because they're the promised land, the Grail and its brother. The hype brings us there, but does it give you music the way you respond best to it? To me, it lacks nothing, and is immensely involving, but it has a "character", as does the Abyss (which I admired at first, but had to warm to), as do all of them. And that character either works or doesn't. And whenever anyone looks to settle any debate by pulling out measurements or statistics, I remember why I'm so deep in this hobby/mission: to provide music the most satisfying way....NOT to please the gods of electricity and acoustics.

Defensive Audiophile Dogma Syndrome (DADS) is a hotter issue than lib vs dem these days. Personally, I'm happy to hear disagreement. Gives me something new to think about.

PS - It DOES pay to look at the amplifier, though! The Susie (don't you have pet names for your gear?) isn't just sensitive to power and its delivery, I think it actually has preferences and feelings of its own. It will tell you what it likes to eat.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #68 of 105
Wrong amplifier pairing then.

Or he simply didn't like them. TC and Susvara are drastically different, so it makes sense that you have some that love them and some that don't..

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #69 of 105
I made the same plan (moving from the Empyrean, to the Elite, then to the Abyss 1266TC), and the Susvaras just came last week. Have you gotten there yet?

I'm doing my first back-and-forth comparison, the Susvara having just arrived last week. They're being drive by a Holo may KTE (one of the most dramatically different and better non-source, non-speaker components I've ever heard.

I am very positive about the Bryston 3.14 DAC, and have loved its performance for nearly a year; however, the May KTE is a whole different category, perhaps due to its unique resistor-ladder technology and huge power supplies - but of course because its a drawing-board design by a very creative engineer.

I had used Schiit electronics prior, and was very pleased with the Gungnir and Yggy....but the Bryston bested them by the same margin, despite the cone national chip-based conversion. All the groove, punch, musical and spatial detail, with far greater transparency. The May KTE is just a different beast, and is really that good. Utterly tactile, texture, force/rhythm, the inner details of the silence and space itself, a richer and subtler envelope of tone, timbre, harmonics, and dynamics. I'm just blown away by what it does for both sets of headphones, even bringing out their unique characteristics all the more clearly.

My impressions of the two sets of headphones are pretty consistent with the reputation. Both first-rate soundstage and image specificity as well as dimension (the obvious way in which the saxophone is heard as a three dimensional thing with complex sound coming through it); tremendous detail retrieval...

...the Abyss more illuminated, leaner (the relatively recessed midrange - satisfying in its full timbal, harmonic palette, but less emphasis on the fat and luxury of the midrange), with modestly deeper and tonally complex controlled, but more impactful bass.

...The Susvara equally detailed, richer, with more attention to caressing the ear with the bloom and hue of sheer pleasurable SOUND...yet, there is nothing emphasized, no inaccuracy or euphony, in the stereotypical sense which risks sacrificing truth and accuracy for extra sugar and fat.There's is a kind of impossible best of both worlds thing about the Susvara, which may make it my go-to by just a slim margin. But, if I can manage to keep them, I wouldn't want to do without the sheer impressiveness and satisfying impact which lends a great mix of palpable rhythm and transparency.
Yes I bought 1266TC then got susvara around a month later lol

I also have the holo may KTE and agree with what you said :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #70 of 105
Anyone with 1st hand experience comparing holo may to compare to the sagra? Sagra will be my very first r2r dac, incoming soon!

Admittedly I got the sagra partially due to it being able to stack nicely to the powerman/formula combo. I have a bit of OCD in this regard.

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #72 of 105
Anyone with 1st hand experience comparing holo may to compare to the sagra? Sagra will be my very first r2r dac, incoming soon!

Admittedly I got the sagra partially due to it being able to stack nicely to the powerman/formula combo. I have a bit of OCD in this regard.
Can have a look at soekris feedback. Sagra is a soekris OEM board with a linear PSU

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #74 of 105
amazing how it is so neck and neck, i love my abyss.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #75 of 105
On the Abyss and amp choice, I use the Moon 600i integrated speaker amp. 125W into 8ohms = about 25W into the Abyss 33 ohms I believe. They do sound really good off the 600i. The Abyss I find is picky on amps, some are powerful enough but just don't seem to gel with it for some reason. You can find the 600i used for about 4K. The signature of the amp is smooth and warmish, so IMO compliments the Abyss well. Bass control is excellent, and the mids tube like for a solid state amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back